Standardized Graphics

mardek1995

I agree with others: give a small market newscast a large-market graphics and music package, and suddenly it looks a lot bigger than it actually is.

Also, by using a corporate standard, it sells the idea that the newscast has the resources of the corporate parent available to them.

WFMZ here in Allentown, PA went from having really lame in-house graphics to picking up a version of the WLEX graphics package and the newscast took on a whole new look. WAY more professional. And since that happened, they've added a weekend morning newscast as well as a 4 pm, so ratings must be up.

In WKBW's case, their on-air appearance deteriorated so badly under Granite ownership that adopting the Scripps standardized look upon takeover was a necessity. None of the legacy Journal stations, unless I'm mistaken, have had that problem.

I think the whole standardized graphic thing has grown on me seeing how these groups have worked out the bugs in every subsequent generation they've created.

Gannett had a horrible original look, and then had a horribly modified version of that original look. The current graphics are great.

NBC's had some interesting takes but they've nailed it with Look F. WCAU is using the unmodified version and the only modification I would make would be to convert the graphics to 16x9.

But let's not forget, it's a current trend, but standardized graphics aren't a new thing. Everyone loves the Westlinghouse look, but if that's not a standardized look I don't know what is. Ditto the circle-7, which was the logo for the entire ABC station group prior to CapCities throwing some sixes and thirteens into the mix. Then the look I affectionately call CapCities Chrome that came in after they took over.

Doesn't mean all standardized looks are perfect. As long as these exist as examples, I'll always have reservations.

The new Sinclair look is all that is wrong with the company and their approach to television news. It is BLAND and I mean the capitals, bold, and resizing. There is literally no room for the local station to express itself. It doesn't even feel like it's been created by human hands. It's a machine-made look.

At least it's better than the worst corporate look ever made - that of ITV in Britain. Their current stuff is meh, but their previous look was horrific. I know part of it is cultural - does Yellow Journalism have the same meaning there that it does here? - but it just looked quite awful.

The Westinghouse look dates back to 1963. And the Circle 7 dates to...1964? 1965?

Then there were the NewsCenter graphics used by NBC affiliates (O&O or otherwise), the ABC-inspired "infinity" news intros used by the CapCities stations in the 70s (including WPVI for a couple years, before the "people" intro format was set in stone), and the list could go on and on.

That reminds me, one of the BGs from CapCities Chrome, the "shooting-star in space" BG used by KTRK, WTVD, and even KOMO in their early 90's late opens was also used by KDKA circa 94. How did they get their hands on it? Also, Group W did have a sort of standardization around that time frame- either you were gold, italicized, or both. All their opens looked similar to each other, did someone else make those?

That reminds me, one of the BGs from CapCities Chrome, the "shooting-star in space" BG used by KTRK, WTVD, and even KOMO in their early 90's late opens was also used by KDKA circa 94. How did they get their hands on it? Also, Group W did have a sort of standardization around that time frame- either you were gold, italicized, or both. All their opens looked similar to each other, did someone else make those?

Digital Artworks in Eugene, Oregon, did a bunch of Group W work and those gold flying logos. I think they may have done some pieces (or been inspired by) the Newsmat stuff.

1992 demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcTLEvOvY3E&t=68

1993 demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmx8gjHm08&t=243

1991 demo (KMGH open circle 7 at about :55):

I thought I read somewhere that the animations you keep attributing to "Newsmat" were actually done by the CapCities/ABC Video Design Group.

Newsmat was just the brand name of the virtual-set technology, no?

I thought I read somewhere that the animations you keep attributing to "Newsmat" were actually done by the CapCities/ABC Video Design Group.

Newsmat was just the brand name of the virtual-set technology, no?

That would make a lot of sense, but all I know is the Newsmat name. I do know it was most associated with the virtual sets but many of them were clients of both.

Archived