WUSA & The Washington Post Partner Up

rkolsen

TVSpy is reporting that The Washington Post and Gannett's WUSA have entered into a news sharing agreement where videos will be shared and there will be an editorial partnership. WaPo will have the ability to embed live video and other content from WUSA on their website. WaPo will then link to WUSA from their regional sections. WUSA will have the ability to use video and photographs from the WaPo.

I think WaPo definitely got the better end of this deal. I will say I'm surprised WUSA entered into an agreement with a competitor to USA Today. Then again USA Today is a national McPaper for people who are just learning English and probably isn't read widely within the region.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wusa-and-the-washington-post-to-partner/144611

http://www.washingtonpost.com/pr/wp/2015/03/26/wusa-9-and-the-washington-post-partner-to-expand-local-news-coverage/

And of course, the Post once owned WUSA decades ago as WOIC with CBS, then by themselves as WTOP, then WDVM; they traded it to the Detroit Free Press back in 1978 for WDIV (not sure why), so it all comes full-circle.

And of course, the Post once owned WUSA decades ago as WOIC with CBS, then by themselves as WTOP, then WDVM; they traded it to the Detroit Free Press back in 1978 for WDIV (not sure why), so it all comes full-circle.

WUSA was traded for WDIV because the owners of the Post and the Free Press were afraid the FCC would institute new rules that would force them to sell the TV stations.

Bill Lord, the GM of WUSA, and Fred Ryan, the publisher of the Post, worked together at WJLA.

The only missing piece is WTOP Radio, and the Hubbard property just inked a news-gathering partnership with WRC/4.

• 2 weeks later...

On the other hand, the arrangement of WJLA's parent company using the Washington Times is sort of reminiscent of the WMAL days under the Washington Star, since the Times essentially replaced the Star in the 1980s.

WUSA may have found the way back to relevance, especially if WJLA takes a sharp turn in the other direction.

The only missing piece is WTOP Radio, and the Hubbard property just inked a news-gathering partnership with WRC/4.

That would've been a great opportunity for WUSA to get its name out there but I think they already a partnership with WNEW 99.1.

Are there any other Gannett stations that are partnered up? IIRC, WKYC and The Plain Dealer used to be partners. Has that agreement lapsed?

WKYC - and for years, WTAM/1100 - were partnered with Newhouse/Advance's Cleveland.com, which had been run autonomously from the Cleveland Plain Dealer until both properties were consolidated a few years ago.

I know WTAM's partnership ended a long time ago. Not sure about WKYC. Their respective webpages may still exist on Cleveland.com, for all we know.

WEWS has had a long-running partnership with the Akron Beacon-Journal, and will cross-promote each other as needed.

Archived