This Is What Happens When Your Studio Floor Is Uneven

ns8401

Apparently there are speed-bumps on the studio floor at WXYZ:

They originally got this studio in 2003 and this is the 4th refresh of it from 2011. They knocked out a wall between two studios to create it and apparently the work to smooth out what is now the floor where the wall was never done properly originally or in any of the refreshes. The camera shakes like this when it is zooming in towards the weather center as well and hits the spot where the wall was. For what it's worth they are about due for another refresh or entirely new set soon. All the other Scripps stations seem to be getting them (WCPO, KSHB, WRTV and now WMAR come to mind). There are also 5 circle 7's on screen in this shot at once, they kind of form an X... sort of.

My question is:

Has anyone ever seen a camera bounce like this anywhere else? I'd kinda think they want to keep their cameras from doing this regularly.

I've had this happen to me before. I used to do a long truck with robotics at the end of a newscast (to show off the lights and depth of the set...and I would move the other cameras out of the way on purpose when they were in the shot, looked pretty slick) and if it got too far from the desk it would hop all over the place, ruining the effect. Had to make sure I stopped short of the trouble area. If this happens every day, that's lack of quality control on their part.

Apparently there are speed-bumps on the studio floor at WXYZ:

They originally got this studio in 2003 and this is the 4th refresh of it from 2011. They knocked out a wall between two studios to create it and apparently the work to smooth out what is now the floor where the wall was never done properly originally or in any of the refreshes. The camera shakes like this when it is zooming in towards the weather center as well and hits the spot where the wall was. For what it's worth they are about due for another refresh or entirely new set soon. All the other Scripps stations seem to be getting them (WCPO, KSHB, WRTV and now WMAR come to mind). There are also 5 circle 7's on screen in this shot at once, they kind of form an X... sort of.

My question is:

Has anyone ever seen a camera bounce like this anywhere else? I'd kinda think they want to keep their cameras from doing this regularly.

I've seen it on rare occasions at WBAL and WJZ. On these rare instances the bouncing usually occurs at the beginning of the show when the cameras are further back for the open to show the set and they then slowly move them forward while zooming in for a tight shot.

I'm guessing the bouncing is caused by grooves in the floor. You can see such grooves when WBAL closes out their 11 PM show where they first start off with a head on shot of home base where they do a last minute forecast and toss it to Fallon. After the toss they usually shoot off axis to show the entire studio and behind the scenes stuff using a different camera (on the opposite side of the studio) while all cameras are returning to their target. Anyway during this brief close you can see the all the grooves in the floor. Surprisingly the camera does not bounce while returning to base. Like WXYZ they've had their floor redone twice since they got this set in 2009 (installed in August 2008 but went on air January 2009.)

Some one on here (Weeters maybe?) mentioned that when the robotic cameras start moving their wheels "dig in" as they start to gain traction. I thought of to be similar as a car burn out where your wheels are spinning but the cars not moving. Instead of burning rubber the pedestal is ruining the floor.

From what I've read in Vinten Radamec manuals they recommend you move the camera into position before taking it "on shot" to avoid this bouncing effect. If I recall correctly the first generation (SP 2000 X/Y) pedestals really damage the floors.

I wouldn't say it happens like this every day... In fact this is the worst I've seen it. The weather center bouncing is relatively gentle (the camera isn't going as fast) but it happens often enough for me to immediately think "there's that spot in the floor again".

I have seen it bounce on the zoom into the desk at the beginning nearly every day... They apparently noticed and now have the talent standing in front of the camera to open the show with the desk in the background or they have the anchors stand on either side of their 4 panel monitor. Those cameras must be awfully heavy if they damage the floor. I don't think having a crappy floor job in the middle of the studio helps at all either.

The pedestals that would dig into the floor are the older, really heavy models. The VintenRadamec SP 2000's were notorious at doing it. Remember when WNBC'S new studio debut was delayed because the floor tiles were too soft? They have the newer generation SP 2000's.

WXYZ uses Cambotics peds and I don't know how well they treat floors. The newer Vinten pedestals (FP-188/210) do not appear to dig into floors much at all.

But yeah, the problem here is more with the floor than the peds. Though they might be able to lessen the shaking by slowing the trucking move down some...

I saw this. I've never been to Detroit, but I got a chance to see that camera shake while controllers bring the camera away from the anchor desk before going to commercial. They need to even out the studio's flooring.

The pedestals that would dig into the floor are the older, really heavy models. The VintenRadamec SP 2000's were notorious at doing it. Remember when WNBC'S new studio debut was delayed because the floor tiles were too soft? They have the newer generation SP 2000's..

Out of curiousity I googled the weight of those SP-2000s. With out its payload they weigh 590 lbs and have a maximum payload of 320 lbs for a maximum weight of 910 lbs. If a person in a wheeled office chair can wear down in a carpet the repetitive motion of a 900lb robot surely will damage a floor (even though office carpet isn't designed to deal with that kind of weight it's a proportionate example). The pedestal even had battery packs so you could truck it between studios under power. I guess you would need power to move these behemoths around studios. It does not look like it was designed for manual operation.

Compare that weight to Vinten Radamecs current flagship model the Fusion FPR 210+ which weighs 286.6 lbs and can support 210 lbs = 496.6 lbs of maximum weight. Now granite the older pedestal was designed for the time of big box cameras, CRT teleproprompters and view finders.

The pedestals that would dig into the floor are the older, really heavy models. The VintenRadamec SP 2000's were notorious at doing it.

I was going to post this point exactly. I ran those years ago; they were notorious for eating holes into the floors. We didn't have the battery packs. Trying to move those things without power was damn near impossible. You ever have to push one out of the way, unpowered, during a show? Ugh. Taking them apart was no picnic either. The shells felt like cast iron. Adding the weight of older cameras, prompters, and return monitors just made it a beast.

We later switched to Cambotics, which were lighter and more accurate...but crappy construction. The internal pulleys shred themselves apart at least once a year.

Until recently, the vending machines at my school were over tile, but they were slowly sinking into the tiles and digging, so they removed the tile this year and put the machines on roller things. That's kinda like the camera you guys mentioned.

Archived