An Election Ticker Gone Awry

ns8401

This is probably a good example of why you don't "have some harmless fun" with your templates for elections. This ticker has 3 categories on it:

Best Director

Best Executive Producer

Best Producer

It also includes the actual last names of all the people who fill those roles at WXYZ:

Worst part is they left this up for the last 40 minutes or so of their 10pm newscast... It was fixed by the 11pm with the correct information though.

The real problem here is it ran for 40 minutes without anyone noticing... I wonder if that's inserted from the Master Control Hub. That would explain a lot...

Also where the hell did that monitor graphic at the end come from? Yikes.

The real problem here is it ran for 40 minutes without anyone noticing... I wonder if that's inserted from the Master Control Hub. That would explain a lot...

It did drop for weather, sports and ads. When their correct ticker ran at 11 at the first break it dropped half way through the break.

I think I'm going to blame creative services for that monitor graphic... The hub is better than that. They've been building a lot of their own monitor graphics for newscasts of late and have hired like 4 or 5 creative services producers with yet another coming. Lots of their monitor graphics are that busy and have that much going on in red for big stories...

I got the time wrong it was two blocks of the show.. So about 12 minutes. But still... It should have been dropped right away. Someone I talked to last night said "we have a gremlin in our system".

A very scary graphic indeed. From recent reading I found out that the Scripps hub is more of a command and control operation - where everything is acquired and switched at the station - so the graphics would be triggered locally. That being said an operator at WRTV should have noticed it given how many times it was on the screen. Then again if the operator is doing quick glances ever so often at multiple feeds some things may not connected.

Then again msnbc has had similar issues such as

dummy text and on numerous occasions never updated their weather ticker (showing M-T-W forecasts when it's Thursday and should show Th-F-Sat).

At least it didn't have an old election or a potential future election...

J

I remember when KPHO was testing their ticker a few weeks before the election and it accidentally went to air. It caused conspiracy theorists to think that Obama was rigging the election.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/21/cbs-news-affiliate-calls-2012-presidential-race-for-barack-obama-weeks-ahead-of-election/

(See comments section to see what I'm talking about)

I imagine crap like that is what WXYZ is trying to avoid.

I remember when KPHO was testing their ticker a few weeks before the election and it accidentally went to air. It caused conspiracy theorists to think that Obama was rigging the election.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/21/cbs-news-affiliate-calls-2012-presidential-race-for-barack-obama-weeks-ahead-of-election/

(See comments section to see what I'm talking about)

I imagine crap like that is what WXYZ is trying to avoid.

It's a concern if your station feed A.P. results directly into the election ticker. A.P. sends "winners" for several weeks leading up to an election.

Archived