Studio Renovations for WHBQ

memnews1

A quick update: WHBQ will be undergoing extensive renovations to the newsroom, lobby, and offices according to MBJ:

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2015/06/05/whbq-tv-fox-13-news-building-state-of-the-art.html

The work does not include a new news set at this time, unfortunately.

Well then... this topic is pointless! If WHBQ 13 is not getting a new set, then what's the point?

Are WFXT and WHBQ still run out of the FTSG hub in Las Vegas? That's probably why they haven't done much - if anything - graphics-wise.

I believe FOX renewed its contract for those 2 stations in 2013 for the current graphics package along with the current O&Os through at least 2017. I doubt Cox would like to buy out that contract, so it is as is for now.

I believe FOX renewed its contract for those 2 stations in 2013 for the current graphics package along with the current O&Os through at least 2017.

That's absolutely not true.

Are WFXT and WHBQ still run out of the FTSG hub in Las Vegas? That's probably why they haven't done much - if anything - graphics-wise.

I'm 99% sure that both stations have been de-hubbed (or, mostly de-hubbed.) When the swap was announced Cox put up job postings for MC operators at both stations. I think they are still looking to fill a few open positions. I don't think it's the case but it's possible the hub may still be handling some off-peak hours for the time being.

Do they have their own building in Vegas? or do they operate their hub from KVVU?

The Fox O&O hub is colocated within (or, at least very close to) Switch's SUPERNAP data center campus in Las Vegas.

To the topic of the thread. It's nice to see Cox investing in WHBQ after years of FTS treating the station like a red-headed step child.

I'd have to agree with that fix. Fox was actually a real savior. Under Adams (and the short-lived Comcorp reign) WHBQ had trimmed back to a 6pm and 10pm newscast. That was it. They were dead last in both the ratings and in the size of their news department.

That's absolutely not true.

Uh last time I remember graphic packages are contracted by stations if they weren't done in-house...2013 was the year Fox debuted its current O&O graphics package.

Uh last time I remember graphic packages are contracted by stations if they weren't done in-house...2013 was the year Fox debuted its current O&O graphics package.

Pay attention and try to keep up. Or at the very least, read through some of the other threads.

Fox has an in house graphics team hubbed at WTVT-Tampa. They make all the graphics for the Fox O&O group (both the current look and the more FNC-inspired package used previously). However, locally-based creative services teams can make tweaks to them if they choose (see KDFW, WTXF, KTTV for examples).

The status of those graphical looks as it pertains to the now Cox-owned stations is anyone's guess. It's quite possible they contracted with the FTSG hub for continued support for a set period of time.

It's also possible Cox only owns a license to continue using the package "look" and is already working with an outside vendor to craft a new package.

The status of those graphical looks as it pertains to the now Cox-owned stations is anyone's guess. It's quite possible they contracted with the FTSG hub for continued support for a set period of time.

It's also possible Cox only owns a license to continue using the package "look" and is already working with an outside vendor to craft a new package.

The Fox graphics hub is no longer supporting the Cox stations. There was an agreement between the two companies to maintain some services, support from the graphics hub being one of them, for roughly six months after the transition. That time has come and gone. Both stations have built out their own graphics departments and are working on their own looks now.

A decent number of KTVU employees, aside from just the GM and ND, went to WFXT in the transfer, possibly even designers as there was a need in Boston for a graphics department and an inkling that their services were soon to be no longer needed in San Francisco... so I wouldn't be surprised at all if the look you're familiar with on KTVU wasn't reflected in some way on WFXT. (That sinking feeling being proven true, as KTVU has apparently fired all but one of their graphics staff.)

You don't purchase a graphics package for a station like you would a music package. Of the several I have been a part of purchasing/designing, you pay for the design (and sometimes CG implementation if you can't/don't want to/don't have time to). Once you purchase it, you own it. You can specify in the contract whether or not the design firm can resell that package to other stations. (Obviously, choosing the option to keep that package to yourself drives the cost up.) There is no specified date that you must ditch the graphics package or update it though.

Archived