WVUE

PelicanGuy

Well it's about time! They REALLY needed a new set.

I'm hoping they get something almost similar to WBTV's. But that maybe setting the bar a bit too high!

Hopefully it's nothing like the generic FX-designed ones most of the Raycom stations upgraded to HD received.

Of course, with a new set will come new Limerick graphics, which should be interesting.

Depending on how the Benson saga plays out, may have an impact on how far Raycom takes their management of the station. It's a true SSA that's not meant to evade an ownership cap, like when Gray was tasked with running most of Young's stations before their sale and with Nexstar running things for Four Points before Sinclair purchased them all.

Well it's about time! They REALLY needed a new set.

I'm hoping they get something almost similar to WBTV's. But that maybe setting the bar a bit too high!

Been looking forward to this for quite some time. The set and lower-thirds, both at five years of age, are painfully old-hat. Every other station in NOLA has either changed its set and/or lower-third graphics but WVUE-TV; now, finally Channel 8 has a chance to catch up. :cool: :)

Been looking forward to this for quite some time. The set and lower-thirds, both at five years of age, are painfully old-hat. Every other station in NOLA has either changed its set and/or lower-third graphics but WVUE-TV; now, finally Channel 8 has a chance to catch up. :cool: :)

Which is long overdue.

I like watching Fox 8 when I'm in New Orleans and think they run some of the best investigation pieces in the market, but their presentation is ridiculously dated. Still can't figure out why they replaced that nice package they got from Renderon with the old WEWS package they currently use.

Which is long overdue.

I like watching Fox 8 when I'm in New Orleans and think they run some of the best investigation pieces in the market, but their presentation is ridiculously dated. Still can't figure out why they replaced that nice package they got from Renderon with the old WEWS package they currently use.

I think it was done intentionally to capitalize on WWL's pre-2008 look and feel. Since EQ Vance also designed their package, the WEWS/WTVA look was a close substitute. Plus, WVUE was riding high as a solid #2 after driving WDSU into 3rd place in the years following Katrina.

A video promo of what may a preview of things to come... Looks like the logos are going to be updated judging by the red app logo and the background of the spot has the Limerick "Tile" look and feel.

I think it was done intentionally to capitalize on WWL's pre-2008 look and feel. Since EQ Vance also designed their package, the WEWS/WTVA look was a close substitute. Plus, WVUE was riding high as a solid #2 after driving WDSU into 3rd place in the years following Katrina.

A video promo of what may a preview of things to come... Looks like the logos are going to be updated judging by the red app logo and the background of the spot has the Limerick "Tile" look and feel.

Wonder if they'll keep the Fleur de Leis in the Fox 8 logo.

I'm doubtful myself.

I will be shocked if the Fleur de Lis is kept. It should be! It is unique and unique generally doesn't fit with Raycom's approach. If they do switch from U-Phonix, some of the usual suspects come to mind - - Inergy and Aerial. I'm probably in the minority, but I think Convergence would fit them. Considering its age and the fact that it has been remixed, it has held up well. Now, if Raycom and Fox 8 were creative enough to have Arnold add in some NOLA & Louisiana style flourishes on the updated WVEC image and investigative tracks then that would add a unique touch to the sound...but that's all dreamy talk and probably a bit too creative for Raycom and their love for conforming properties.

Raycom's efforts with their mobile apps have always been a little different than their broadcast offerings. They usually consist of the channel number (in it's font) minus the affiliate logo in a rounded square. And they sometimes use a different package than what the station uses....i.e. WBTV's app uses the Blue & gold background (which has never been used there on-air). WVUE's fits the bill to a T since it's just their "8" in this box.

The same type of disconnect that Sinclair has now has hit Raycom as well since all of these changes are no longer in sync with each other with music coming one month, weather graphics the next, and finally the set and/or graphics another month. Another victim of cost-cutting and centralization as each piece has their own schedule set by corporate resulting in stations getting these sporadic fixes instead of the top-to-bottom relaunch done locally in house on their schedule and ability to coordinate everything together.

If and when WVUE signs on with the Limerick package, it will once again be chasing WWL now that they've been Gannett-ized with the similar layout and color palette between packages.

Raycom's efforts with their mobile apps have always been a little different than their broadcast offerings. They usually consist of the channel number (in it's font) minus the affiliate logo in a rounded square. And they sometimes use a different package than what the station uses....i.e. WBTV's app uses the Blue & gold background (which has never been used there on-air). WVUE's fits the bill to a T since it's just their "8" in this box.

The same type of disconnect that Sinclair has now has hit Raycom as well since all of these changes are no longer in sync with each other with music coming one month, weather graphics the next, and finally the set and/or graphics another month. Another victim of cost-cutting and centralization as each piece has their own schedule set by corporate resulting in stations getting these sporadic fixes instead of the top-to-bottom relaunch done locally in house on their schedule and ability to coordinate everything together.

If and when WVUE signs on with the Limerick package, it will once again be chasing WWL now that they've been Gannett-ized with the similar layout and color palette between packages.

That's true. Even on most of their websites, the majority of them consists of just a channel number. As long as they don't get one of those generic FX group sets I'll be happy. Hopefully they'll pull somewhat of a WBTV with FOX 8 or even go more outside of the box. We shall see.

I really don't even understand Raycom's strategy when it comes to graphics and branding.

Right now they have 3 different packages in use: the WFIE/WBRC package, the WMC/WAVE package and now the WBTV Gannett knock-off.

I really don't even understand Raycom's strategy when it comes to graphics and branding.

Right now they have 3 different packages in use: the WFIE/WBRC package, the WMC/WAVE package and now the WBTV Gannett knock-off.

...and the WFIE/WBRC package has its own variants including WBRC's FOX-ified version, WWBT's purple version, and there's the sub-variant used by the FOX SSAs with the squared lines.

I think eventually the older versions will be phased out in favor of the WBTV package since Charlotte is their new graphics hub and the prior packages were done and serviced out of Tuscon.

Don't forget WIS's custom look.

FOX8's Lee Zurik posted a video update to viewers explaining why things look like they do currently on air.

https://www.facebook.com/FOX8NOLA/videos/10153503770514610/

That's a tiny main studio. Why not make their secondary production studio the main one? It looks like it's over twice as big. Sort of seems like a waste of space.

That's a tiny main studio. Why not make their secondary production studio the main one? It looks like it's over twice as big. Sort of seems like a waste of space.

They probably would make more money renting out the bigger studio than they would the smaller. I wonder how many cameras they use during the newscasts because in the old studio they have four against the wall while there were only two in the production studio.

They probably would make more money renting out the bigger studio than they would the smaller. I wonder how many cameras they use during the newscasts because in the old studio they have four against the wall while there were only two in the production studio.

Is their weather center in it's own separate studio? It looked like it in the video. Having the weather center completely separate would mean that having a larger studio isn't as necessary I suppose. If the weather center is separate, are they doing something it too?

Is their weather center in it's own separate studio? It looked like it in the video. Having the weather center completely separate would mean that having a larger studio isn't as necessary I suppose. If the weather center is separate, are they doing something it too?

Yes, their weather set is in a separate room/studio, but it seems that they are getting a new complete set. It looks like they may have room to do a wrap-around set.

• 2 weeks later...

WVUE's new set debuted at Noon today.

https://www.facebook.com/FOX8NOLA/videos/vb.107322144609/10153561478509610

Looks similar to WBTV's set, but on a smaller scale. Graphics are still the same, unfortunately.

WVUE switched to the new Raycom graphics today at Noon using the "blue" version. Their logo is the same as well as their music package (using new cuts).

Archived