Bizarre WXIA promo

WXmanTim

Mismatched graphics, numerous music packages... Then this...

Did someone at WXIA suffer a stroke? Perhaps there is a toxic gas leak in their administration offices??? Someone might want to check...

WXIA's slogan is "Holding the Powerful Accountable", but it's hard to tell if that's what they were going for. There's a gunshot, there are handcuffs, but we can't tell who's being shot, who shot the victim, and who's being arrested.

Vague promo over music that doesn't really fit given the scenario presented.

I actually quite liked the investigative spin with Pure Imagination. I would have supported it running and it's far more innovative than the usual investigative spots that are produced--though I would have told Stephen Arnold to make the investigative cut much more melancholy.

Here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtnas5ScSE

It's all in how you use music to video and the message you're trying to convey. This is a brilliant promotion for Chipotle on many levels, but first and foremost it tells a story.

The seeds of that were there with WXIA. I bet if you put Fiona Apple's version on it and cleaned up some of the storytelling and progression, you all would have loved it.

I commend them for taking a risk. There are problems for sure, but it's not nearly the misfire some of you are claiming it to be.

I actually quite liked the investigative spin with Pure Imagination. I would have supported it running and it's far more innovative than the usual investigative spots that are produced--though I would have told Stephen Arnold to make the investigative cut much more melancholy.

Here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtnas5ScSE

It's all in how you use music to video and the message you're trying to convey. This is a brilliant promotion for Chipotle on many levels, but first and foremost it tells a story.

The seeds of that were there with WXIA. I bet if you put Fiona Apple's version on it and cleaned up some of the storytelling and progression, you all would have loved it.

I commend them for taking a risk. There are problems for sure, but it's not nearly the misfire some of you are claiming it to be.

This commercial actually made sense since it told a story. The imagery was created for this sole purpose of telling THIS story.

In the promo realm, it's all about expansive promo shoots to get the most mileage out of footage. There's no way WXIA went to any effort to shot ANY of their footage for this sole purpose. It was just fancy wallpaper video hacked together to try to fit to a song.

To make a good promo....it has to start with a GOOD IDEA. And that GOOD IDEA has to be well-executed, and memorable to even try to be effective.

WXIA failed from the get-go trying to use this song.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread since I found THIS.....

This is probably the real deal since this one makes sense. The other may have been some cruel science experiment or re-sync like so many news junkies do with other packages...

Poring through the other WXIA vids on Stephen Arnold's channel, their CSD must REALLY like them....and have the $$$ to not only use these songs, but quite possible to COMMISSION them...adding to ther cost are the fact that these are remade songs that require even more royalties....

So getting all the SAM themes on their newscasts is chump change compared to what these image pieces cost...

So now after seeing these videos, I retract my earlier comments made...

Now to refresh my memory...was this the promo that had the Willy Wonka song in it?

Sync them together....and try the opposite.....

Archived