WLNE new graphics

Viper550

Well, I don't know how we missed this but...

rwrWCDi.jpg

sUOQvTl.jpg

This is a major improvement over the old Citadel standard look (although they actually did update the weather graphics there too, the rest still looked pretty bad). But it still has some oddities; the L3's are rather static looking and the fonts don't look good. Plus, it also kind of feels Hearst-like here and there, unless you operate under the belief Hearst has the exclusive rights to rhombi (but also note you're within a stone throw's away of WCVB)

BLUE HELIO!!!!!!

But really, these are decent enough for a small market. It's not perfect, the lower thirds could use some work and there's much room for improvement, but the 3D stuff is pretty well done.

BLUE HELIO!!!!!!

But really, these are decent enough for a small market. It's not perfect, the lower thirds could use some work and there's much room for improvement, but the 3D stuff is pretty well done.

Oh, no, not the Blue Helio thing again! People really need to stop making it our TVNT conspiracy theory- so many explanations fly around here about it (the most common being it's a splinter cell of ex-Giant Octopus employees) it's ridiculous- we might as well adopt the name for our militant wing.

Oh, no, not the Blue Helio thing again! People really need to stop making it our TVNT conspiracy theory- so many explanations fly around here about it (the most common being it's a splinter cell of ex-Giant Octopus employees) it's ridiculous- we might as well adopt the name for our militant wing.

He was joking. :)

IMHO, the graphics look OK. Not great (L3s don't animate?) but MUCH better than they had before. However, Eyewitness News V1?

On a side note, why is Citadel still holding on to WLNE and KLKN?

BLUE HELIO!!!!!!

Heh. Not even close.

IMHO, the graphics look OK. Not great (L3s don't animate?) but MUCH better than they had before. However, Eyewitness News V1?

I can't speak for KLKN, but I'm sure it hasn't been easy finding a buyer for WLNE. It's the bottom feeder in the Providence market, always has been.

I think WLNE is bound to be sold off for spectrum and the non-license assets are going to end up in Sinclair's (or Media General's) hands. Once the broadcast station is done away with, it's just a matter of putting it on either WJAR, WPRI or WNAC's subchannels.

WLNE is so far gone the station itself is far more valuable as spectrum bait than as a going concern as a broadcast station. And given the proximity between markets drives up the value too.

I think that these graphics have signaled that WLNE's days are numbered. I wouldn't be surprised if Sinclair buys WLNE's assets and puts it on WJAR's DT2 signal and/or buys a low-power station and slides WLNE to that.

KLKN is such a strange station. Because of Gray's acquisition of Hoak and corresponding ownership of NBC and CBS from in both halves of the market, the fact that the ABC affiliation is split in half is less tenable. You have to buy ad time on KWNB and KLKN to equal the effect of buying ad time on KSNB or KOLN/KGIN. KWNB and Pappas are still embroiled in lawsuits — in fact, the Pappas family is at odds with the liquidating trust.

I think WLNE is bound to be sold off for spectrum and the non-license assets are going to end up in Sinclair's (or Media General's) hands. Once the broadcast station is done away with, it's just a matter of putting it on either WJAR, WPRI or WNAC's subchannels.

WLNE is so far gone the station itself is far more valuable as spectrum bait than as a going concern as a broadcast station. And given the proximity between markets drives up the value too.

I think that in a market with only seven full power stations to lose two (assuming that WLWC goes too) would raise some red flags to lose that much service. And how easy would it be to wedge everything over three signals without someone getting hosed?

I think Hearst is the most likely to buy WLNE and considering the proximity of Rhode Island to the Boston market, I wouldn't be surprised if they share some stories with WCVB. Also to me, the Hearst-esque graphics seem to be screaming for Hearst to buy it

I think Hearst is the most likely to buy WLNE and considering the proximity of Rhode Island to the Boston market, I wouldn't be surprised if they share some stories with WCVB. Also to me, the Hearst-esque graphics seem to be screaming for Hearst to buy it

Hearst had the opportunity to buy WLNE at a dirt-cheap rate five years ago when the station was in receivership. They chose not to.

Hearst had the opportunity to buy WLNE at a dirt-cheap rate five years ago when the station was in receivership. They chose not to.

Twice. Allegedly they also tried to buy it from Freedom when Freedom eventually sold it to Global but Freedom wanted more than Hearst was willing to pay.

I think that these graphics have signaled that WLNE's days are numbered.

If any station gets a new graphics package it means the owner is investing into the said station for upgrades - basically meaning they're gonna stay.

A new graphics package - horrible or not - doesn't mean a station's days are "numbered".

I think that in a market with only seven full power stations to lose two (assuming that WLWC goes too) would raise some red flags to lose that much service. And how easy would it be to wedge everything over three signals without someone getting hosed?

WLNE has been on a downward spiral ever since Freedom dumped them to Global, and doomed from the start due to other factors. The ensuing receivership and fire sale proves that this station has to either be running at a serious loss or by a company as cheap as Citadel to do the most cost-effective and profitable things to ensure the station is not in the red.

Scripps loves to buy bottom-feeder stations that need some TLC and a little bit of investment. Maybe WLNE would fit perfectly in the Scripps portfolio...

Scripps loves to buy bottom-feeder stations that need some TLC and a little bit of investment. Maybe WLNE would fit perfectly in the Scripps portfolio...

Where they'll stay a bottom feeder? Scripps' stations don't perform very well; many of their original stations are last or near-last in their respective markets.

Now about the graphics. I personally hate L3s that have italicized text in them. Hate it. The only people that were able to pull it off were Raycom and even then I hated it. Additionally, that animation at 11 seconds is really...weird. They couldn't make that flow any better than that?

• 1 month later...
Well, I don't know how we missed this but...

rwrWCDi.jpg

sUOQvTl.jpg

This is a major improvement over the old Citadel standard look (although they actually did update the weather graphics there too, the rest still looked pretty bad). But it still has some oddities; the L3's are rather static looking and the fonts don't look good. Plus, it also kind of feels Hearst-like here and there, unless you operate under the belief Hearst has the exclusive rights to rhombi (but also note you're within a stone throw's away of WCVB)

KLKN is now using this graphic set as well as of mid September 2015.

Archived