Changes at Meredith KTVK/KPHO Phoenix

ihEARDtHAT

"kludge" is a very good description. The graphics/music/set were all KTVK (except for the bug on CBS5). Some reporters said "3TV"; others said "KTVK". The oddest thing is that they only seemed to have ONE reporter out in the field/live in the newsroom. I would expect them to have at least two on a Saturday evening, particularly when they have essentially eliminated a meteorologist and a sports position.

It seems that some sort of combined branding needs to happen. A couple of examples (albeit in much smaller markets) are Tucson News Now on two station and Hawaii News Now on three stations. So, it seems that they need an "Arizona News Now" or something other than 3TV News on CBS5. Why not CBS5 News on 3TV???

I find it odd that they are using TV3 news department on a CBS station... I'm baffled/confused... Shouldn't it be the other way around??

It can be a licensing issue with CBS, or TV3 is considered the stronger brand.

Those are really the only scenarios I can think of that make any sense.

"kludge" is a very good description. The graphics/music/set were all KTVK (except for the bug on CBS5). Some reporters said "3TV"; others said "KTVK". The oddest thing is that they only seemed to have ONE reporter out in the field/live in the newsroom. I would expect them to have at least two on a Saturday evening, particularly when they have essentially eliminated a meteorologist and a sports position.

It seems that some sort of combined branding needs to happen. A couple of examples (albeit in much smaller markets) are Tucson News Now on two station and Hawaii News Now on three stations. So, it seems that they need an "Arizona News Now" or something other than 3TV News on CBS5. Why not CBS5 News on 3TV???

Bingo! This is the problem. They're now going down the consolidation road and need to unify presentation.

I'm not surprised that KTVK is the base here. They're in KTVK's facilities, using KTVK's background graphics for web segments, etc. And KTVK has been historically stronger than KPHO.

This sounds confusing. What's the point of having two stations if you're going to simulcast?

I think the point here was to consolidate the weekend newscasts. Their staff was stretched a bit thin across the two stations on the weekends.

Last night (Sunday night), the branding was even more confusing. The early newscasts were branded separate (GEAZ on 3 and CBS5 News on 5) and were anchored by a single anchor. The 9pm on 3 was titled "3TV News at 9" but anchored by both anchors. Then, the 10pm newscast airing on both stations used CBS5 music and graphics, had two anchors, and referred to itself as CBS5 News. The 10pm simulcast on 3 was labeled CBS5 on 3TV.

Archived