Local News on Periscope

LFk

I'm curious to know what folks are thinking about the seeming new trend of locals news anchors Periscoping during their broadcasts.

It's generally happening in the smaller markets. For a news junkie like me, it's fascinating to see how the proverbial sausage is made. It's also interesting to note the differences in markets. For example, weatherman Tom Clements at KNOP on North Platt, Nebraska proudly shows off how his morning program is essentially him and the very young, but charmingly dedicated anchor, Jacqueline Olsen, functioning totally and completely alone (everything else is done remotely in another town). They seem to delight in their status as scrappy, good natured newies in the second smallest market in the country. I must say that their worts and all daily 'scopes (which are replete with moments like Olsen teasing her coif into appropriate anchor hair, while Clements makes coffee and matches his tie with her blouse) are akin to watching the fictional WJM come to real life.

The downside is that some of the other Periscoping anchors in other markets are inadvertently revealing how occasionally disconnected and bored they are with the content they're putting out on the air. Not sure about how that can be helping their cause.

Overall, though, I'm curious to know if others believe this is a new way of building a national persona for locals?

I like it. It shows a different perspective of a newscast. I semi regularly watch WCAU's on mornings and they usually are good with not revealing too much or complaining but sometimes things get through. For example their early morning anchor at 4AM reported a story of alleged cheating by the Patriots against the Eagles at Super Bowl 39 and during commercial break he revealed that he didn't read the article. Its reasonable because you only have so much time before a show and reading a 10 page article for a quick story (that won't be discussed later) isn't worth the precious time.

I've watched NBC 10 News from WCAU in Philadelphia as well on Periscope. I like Chris and Tracy. They interact with the viewers and one of their newsroom workers takes viewers on tours of other parts of the studio as well as the anchor desk. They also do trivia questions with giveaways. I think it is great to show how the newscast works. I had no idea the anchors are just sitting there the majority of the time ime waiting on other anchors, reporters, stories, and commercials to air.

I had no idea the anchors are just sitting there the majority of the time ime waiting on other anchors, reporters, stories, and commercials to air.

How rude of those reporters and commercials to make those anchormen and anchorwomen wait.

Archived