KUSI News Van Hit By Semi Almost Hit Photographer

rkolsen

A KUSI news photographer almost was hit by an out of control semi which totaled (most likely) their news van. The semi was out of control due to rain and the photographer was on the shoulder taping a prior accident.

You have to see the video. Thank god the photographer was safe.

http://www.kusi.com/story/30037306/semi-crashes-into-news-van-almost-hits-photojournalist-in-i-15-crash

Glad the photog was not hurt. As you can tell, when it rains here, people act stupid on the roadways... thus proving that San Diegans can't drive in the rain. Secondly, the KUSI van hit, was one of the newer station vehicles they purchased (replacing the aging mid 90s Chevy Astro vans). The vans are only about a year old.

Too bad that semi couldn't have run KUSI's old old old set over...

It's not old....

It's "Vintage".

Just like their anchors...

I wonder if the photog was wearing his CHP mandated fluorescent vest while shooting on the side of the freeway? From the video, it looks like he could have parked a few hundred yards more north and have had some extra shoulder room.

The vest is an OSHA/NTSHA directive...not the CHP. Still it's just insane to be on the roadway unless it completly shut down. The truck driver could actually say the TV crew distracted him and KUSI would be in liability poo-poo.

The biggest local idiot is Paul Anendregg from KGTV and the "Breaking News Crapper". Paul will actually wait for the CHP to dispatch stalled cars/ drunks or garbage in the roadway calls. He then sits on the side of the road and waits for people to hit the objects. If it's a drunk woman he will try to "rescue" her on camera. Anthoney Cassarasco from On-Scene tv also does that.

One local photog was almost killed twice in the same location over a 2 week period...and that freeway(I-5 @ Palomar Airport Rd) was partially closed at 3am....a drunk blew the cones in both cases, and that shooter refuses to shoot on any active roadway.

TV cameras have nice zoom lenses for a good reason....but some camera morons don't "get it".

Speaking of news crews parking on the freeway, I was driving on the SB I-5 in Del Mar yesterday, when on the right shoulder was parked one of NBC 7's (KNSD) Ford Expedition trucks, with their "mini" collapsible portable mast positioned right next to the first right lane of traffic with 1 little sandbag holding it down. Not the smartest place to park, especially in this weather that we are having, and how SD people drive.

Glad this KUSI photog escaped uninjured, scary stuff.

Speaking of news crews parking on the freeway, I was driving on the SB I-5 in Del Mar yesterday, when on the right shoulder was parked one of NBC 7's (KNSD) Ford Expedition trucks, with their "mini" collapsible portable mast positioned right next to the first right lane of traffic with 1 little sandbag holding it down. Not the smartest place to park, especially in this weather that we are having, and how SD people drive.

I know the spot, the locals will cue up there when pursuits ( "run for the border") come down from LA/OC. It's tucked-up against the hill just past the bottom ofthe DMH ramp. You can get a good passing shot,,,and still get up to pursuit speed due to the downhill grade.

My Grandpa used to say "go play on the freeway"...

He never mentioned an orange vest. The vest makes it easier for the coroner to find all the pieces.

Glad this KUSI photog escaped uninjured, scary stuff.

And KNSD cannot afford to lose another vehicle. I was looking on Instagram the other day, and I believe it was their Assistant ND who posted pics of two different news vehicles being involved in accidents. Try explaining that corporate when you're asking them for a huge chunk of money for your new building...

Archived