KDKA Getting a New Set

lanman

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KDKA has moved to an impressive temporary studio while they build a new one.

1B97niz.png

lE9zCqY.png

According to NewscastStudio, their "huge" new set with debut in October.

Pretty impressive for a temp set, pretty much a preview of what their getting and it looks like it's gonna be nice and massive.

That's really impressive for a temporary set... Makes me think it's actually a part of the new set. Odd for a station to have brand new day AND night duratrans (which can be very expensive) for something meant to be "temporary".

Unless they plan on being on it for a long time, that is.

Didn't think the old set was that...old.

One nice feature of it was the monitor bank that harkened back to the look of the 1980s set.

But yeah, that's a damn impressive temporary set. And if they use a dramatic close up of the skyline like that to anchor the set it could be an instant classic.

I was taken back by how sleek this set is when I first saw it. Heck, It's better then some permeant sets I've seen and it's only a corner. . I would assume the based of the attention to detail on this temp set that it will be unitized in some capacity when they debut their new set. The anchor did say that the new set will be huge which gets me thinking that the set they are using is here to stay. If you look close enough you can see what appear to be new hardwood floors (not sure but thought i'd point it out )

Overall this temp set, from the tiny glimpse they have displayed, is pretty much inline with the other new CBS O&O sets we've seen over the past few years. The duratran and lighting strips along with the desk's sleek style and soft blue tones suggest that this is either part of the new set or a preview of how it will look.

If you look close enough you can see what appear to be new hardwood floors (not sure but thought i'd point it out )

Indeed, from this other photo by a KDKA staff member you can see the new floor:

CPb4LRwXAAAHYK6.jpg:large

Okay. There's no way that's temporary. Maybe this location for the desk is, but that looks like a complete set to me.

Definitely. The desk doesn't really look permanent and totally natural there, but it'd make a pretty nice interview/stand-up area, I think.

My sources told me to look for a November debut. I'm interested to see if and how they'll reuse this temporary set. As was mentioned, I could see it replacing the PTL set and being utilized for The Sunday Business Page and Your Pittsburgh.

That said, I agree, it's interesting to see that the temporary set is impressive in it's own right. (At least, by KDKA's standards. Remember, they were still on that 1996 Park Place Group W special until recently... It's 20 years old!) I'm rather excited to see what the new set looks like... and I'm hoping that the fact that they spent some money on this temporary set means that they're spending some money on the main one.

In the morning banter with KDKA Radio, Rick Dayton pointed out that they are not in their main studio. He mentioned how he walked through the main studio this morning and noted that it is a huge studio once the set was demolished.

They do have a second studio that they use for the PTL kitchen set and the CW Nightly Sports Call, though I heard from a friend that NSC will be moving upstairs to the old KDKA Radio studios at Gateway Center. I am guessing then that the temp set is in Studio B.

It will be interesting then to see how this new "studio B" is used in the future.

Now only if WJZ would be next.

Now only if WJZ would be next.

I don't understand the whole situation with WJZ not wanting to get a new set, that set has been used since 98 and needs replaced badly. That set wasn't designed for HD which didn't occur till 11 years after it was built and they made little change when they transition. Hoping they are in the works for a new one right now.

Archived