Chopper 13 Las Vegas

Eat News

Is this true?

KTNV in Las Vegas is adding a chopper?

Well goooleeeee!

Is it just a repainted KLAS bird with a better lease?

I thought I heard a giant "thud" in the KLAS ND's office today.

Now get out there and promote the hell out of it.

The Chopper 13 showgirls...

Make Chopper 13 Disappear...

Let the white tigers from Sigfried and Roy fly Chopper 13...

Brittney Spears Traffic!

Chopper 13....Make it rain!

Is this true?

KTNV in Las Vegas is adding a chopper?

Well goooleeeee!

Is it just a repainted KLAS bird with a better lease?

I thought I heard a giant "thud" in the KLAS ND's office today.

Now get out there and promote the hell out of it.

The Chopper 13 showgirls...

Make Chopper 13 Disappear...

Let the white tigers from Sigfried and Roy fly Chopper 13...

Brittney Spears Traffic!

Chopper 13....Make it rain!

I don't believe it is. The former KLAS chopper was an A-Star, from the promo video, it looks like 13's bird is a jet ranger. Altough, the fact that they decided to use a computer animation of the chopper instead of some footage of it makes me wonder if it's more of a gimmick than a tool. I'll believe it when I see it. As it stands right now, i'm skeptical about since KGTV uses an animated chopper video in the left side video box, trying to fool viewers into thinking that SKY10 really exists--when it really doesn't.

Altough, the fact that they decided to use a computer animation of the chopper instead of some footage of it makes me wonder if it's more of a gimmick than a tool. I'll believe it when I see it. As it stands right now, i'm skeptical about since KGTV uses an animated chopper video in the left side video box, trying to fool viewers into thinking that SKY10 really exists--when it really doesn't.

My sources say they haven't taken delivery of it yet. For some reason they decided to promote it before they even got it...

The "Chopper" font on the side looks like it's the same as WCPO's chopper.

For those who haven't seen:

My sources say they haven't taken delivery of it yet. For some reason they decided to promote it before they even got it...

The "Chopper" font on the side looks like it's the same as WCPO's chopper.

For those who haven't seen:

Interesting. Is the chopper acquisition exclusive to KTNV/Las Vegas, or will Scripps be allowing its other stations to acquire one?

As it stands right now, i'm skeptical about since KGTV uses an animated chopper video in the left side video box, trying to fool viewers into thinking that SKY10 really exists--when it really doesn't.

What exactly is the status of the KGTV Sky10 is it just for show? If so how are they getting aerial videos - ABC News One or CNN News Source?

Which explains the "coming to" line.

FTVLive's biggest beef with the promo seemed to be the grammatical errors in the text. I was so caught up with the poor production quality. I mean it's all stock footage. Granite they don't have the helicopter yet but they probably could have done a better job or better yet hold off until they actually take delivery.

The first image of the model Chopper 13 reminded me of one of those demo/trailers from the original Grand Theft Autos.

What exactly is the status of the KGTV Sky10 is it just for show? If so how are they getting aerial videos - ABC News One or CNN News Source?

Which explains the "coming to" line.

FTVLive's biggest beef with the promo seemed to be the grammatical errors in the text. I was so caught up with the poor production quality. I mean it's all stock footage. Granite they don't have the helicopter yet but they probably could have done a better job or better yet hold off until they actually take delivery.

The first image of the model Chopper 13 reminded me of one of those demo/trailers from the original Grand Theft Autos.

KGTV gets aerial footage from KFMB/Chopper 8. All the stations in SD use the same chopper.

KGTV gets aerial footage from KFMB/Chopper 8. All the stations in SD use the same chopper.

Funny how the stations back home don't quote "Chopper 8" at least up here in SF, KRON uses KGO's "SKY7HD" logo on their newscasts and quote "here's aerial footage from Sky 7 HD in partnership with ABC 7."

KSWB - SkyFox

SD 6 - not sure what they name it

KNSD - News Chopper 7

KUSI - Sky Eye

KGTV - Sky10

11230104_10153319642358802_4444997841323128042_n.jpg?oh=5d0351777896249b472d364da696e4e7&oe=56C71C49

Looks like it might be their old chopper, or just an old picture with "Chopper 13" photoshopped over the old "News Hawk" name.

3KlwV3o.jpg

You can tell because the white parts of the helicopter are a bluish-white while "Chopper 13" is straight up white.

They're really eager to promote this aren't they??

http://www.ktnv.com/news/chopper-13-ready-for-launch

So it's NOT the Bell 206 Longranger that has been in all the promos...

EDIT: That chopper looks like it's Helicopters Inc's "loaner". It's been in Boston and Pittsburgh in the past few months from various pictures available online, after coming from Chicago where it was WBBM's chopper.

I almost think they are making it look like the Bell 206 because people may equate a bigger bird as more powerful. But doesn't Helicopters Inc mainly fly A-Stars? Just from breaking news experience here in Baltimore WBAL's AS-350 is up there longer than WJZ's 206.

Edit: I was thinking of US Helicopters Inc. which is currently upgrading/rolling out new Airbus AS-350B.

I almost think they are making it look like the Bell 206 because people may equate a bigger bird as more powerful. But doesn't Helicopters Inc mainly fly A-Stars? Just from breaking news experience here in Baltimore WBAL's AS-350 is up there longer than WJZ's 206.

Edit: I was thinking of US Helicopters Inc. which is currently upgrading/rolling out new Airbus AS-350B.

I just saw it fly around and around last night. i think they had breaking news that night because i'm over there for 2 nights at my hotel.

I really don't get why they're making such a big deal out of having a helicopter... they had one for decades and only in the last two or three years did they get rid of it because of $$.

I really don't get why they're making such a big deal out of having a helicopter... they had one for decades and only in the last two or three years did they get rid of it because of $$.

Bragging rights since KTNV would be the only station in Vegas to say that they have a news helicopter (especially since KLAS was recently forced to give up theirs after being purchased by Nexstar).

From what I've seen in marketing material those R44's are relatively cheap to fly.

But their promo seemed really familiar from the copy, graphics and music.

That R-44 is a fine platform if you don't have freeway chases that go faster than 80mph.

It's a drone that seats 4. It's about 1/2 the cost and does fine in more compact markets.

I think they make a propane version too.

That R-44 is a fine platform if you don't have freeway chases that go faster than 80mph.

It's a drone that seats 4. It's about 1/2 the cost and does fine in more compact markets.

I think they make a propane version too.

KTVT and KDFW use R-44s I believe.

The lease them from Sky Helicopters in Garland.

Here's their promo video:

KTVT and KDFW use R-44s I believe.

The lease them from Sky Helicopters in Garland.

Here's their promo video:

Same for KXAS. They seem to be popular in the Midwest. The HD picture quality doesn't seem to be that great compared to Cineflex (which granite is the Rolls Royce of ENG and general aerial photography). I don't know who manufactures the gimbal but the camera is an Ikegami - but they don't list a model number.

Same for KXAS. They seem to be popular in the Midwest. The HD picture quality doesn't seem to be that great compared to Cineflex (which granite is the Rolls Royce of ENG and general aerial photography). I don't know who manufactures the gimbal but the camera is an Ikegami - but they don't list a model number.

That's probably a FLIR gimbal. Unfortunately it looks like they gave up on the media industry and now focus most of their attention on selling to the government (and their niche selling thermal imaging attachments for cell phones).

That's probably a FLIR gimbal. Unfortunately it looks like they gave up on the media industry and now focus most of their attention on selling to the government (and their niche selling thermal imaging attachments for cell phones).
I thought so too - but there's no markings. You would think there'd be a decal on it that's seen on other ENG cameras.

Archived