FCC Equal Time

rkolsen

So several presidential candidates have filed with NBC requesting equal time after Trump's SNL appearance. The candidates will get air time in the form of 24 30" ad spots through out Primetime on Friday and Saturday in addition to time on SNL. Affiliates won't be loosing any inventory as NBC is eating the cost.

One thing I've heard is that the candidates requested equal time in certain states, specifically Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina . Why would they want to limit the audience given Trump had a national audience?

Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina are the first three primaries and the ones that get the most bang for the buck.

But the thing is the campaigns are not paying for the ad time. This is given to them because Donald Trump hosted SNL. The campaigns won't pay a penny aside from production costs.

But the thing is the campaigns are not paying for the ad time. This is given to them because Donald Trump hosted SNL. The campaigns won't pay a penny aside from production costs.

My understanding is that they have to file with a specific station or stations and not the network, but I could be wrong. Perhaps not worth the hassle of requesting it of every single NBC affiliate?

The bigger question is why any of these guys save for maybe Kasich are still in the race.

My understanding is that they have to file with a specific station or stations and not the network, but I could be wrong. Perhaps not worth the hassle of requesting it of every single NBC affiliate?

From what I read, NBC is coordinating everything and the affiliates don't have to do anything besides airing the equal time commitments which will go out via a B-feed if the campaigns asked for ET on that station. NBC sent a boilerplate statement to all their affiliates the Monday after with timecodes where all the affiliate had to do before public-filing it was fill in their calls and COL (example from WGBA's PF).

From what I read, NBC is coordinating everything and the affiliates don't have to do anything besides airing the equal time commitments which will go out via a B-feed if the campaigns asked for ET on that station. NBC sent a boilerplate statement to all their affiliates the Monday after with timecodes where all the affiliate had to do before public-filing it was fill in their calls and COL (example from WGBA's PF).

I believe you're correct that the network is coordinating, but I think the requests were put into the affiliates.

I just found an article and it states that it has to be made at the local level. I wonder how the candidates have to requests - whether it's a phone call, a fax, in person or by mail?

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/television/2015/10/donald_trump_fccs_equal_time_rule_looms_over_saturday_night_live

Archived