John Lennon, Yoko Circle 7

Eat News

The era before Bonds left to join WXYZ for a second time and became famous in Detroit once he left LA.

ABC also tried out Bill Bonds at KGO and WABC. None of those markets warmed up to Bill, who became a Detroit institution following the 1967 riots.

(BTW, I'm more partial to "Instant Karma." "Merry Christmas (War is Over)" had a noble message, but a total disappointment in execution... and radio stations overplaying it during their Christmas music stunting doesn't help.)

ABC also tried out Bill Bonds at KGO and WABC. None of those markets warmed up to Bill, who became a Detroit institution following the 1967 riots.

(BTW, I'm more partial to "Instant Karma." "Merry Christmas (War is Over)" had a noble message, but a total disappointment in execution... and radio stations overplaying it during their Christmas music stunting doesn't help.)

When he died one of the things that was shown was some footage of Bill at the riots... Another of their reporters, Jim Harrington (he covered politics into the 90's) also died recently... The color footage of both of them holding the original circle 7 mic flags reporting with burning buildings as backdrops is where I figured out they were originally black and white instead of silver and blue... Much much plainer that way...

When he died one of the things that was shown was some footage of Bill at the riots... Another of their reporters, Jim Harrington (he covered politics into the 90's) also died recently... The color footage of both of them holding the original circle 7 mic flags reporting with burning buildings as backdrops is where I figured out they were originally black and white instead of silver and blue... Much much plainer that way...

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the blue and silver scheme date to the station ID teleop slides circa the late 1960s? (which were standard issue among all ABC O&Os of that period)

WABC definitely didn't use the current color scheme for the actual logo until the Bill Applegate era, and it apparently got standardized from there.

Detroit_TV_Logos_Past_and_Present_2_%28Now_with_WXYZ_Logos%29_1442.png

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the blue and silver scheme date to the station ID teleop slides circa the late 1960s? (which were standard issue among all ABC O&Os of that period)

WABC definitely didn't use the current color scheme for the actual logo until the Bill Applegate era, and it apparently got standardized from there.

Detroit_TV_Logos_Past_and_Present_2_%28Now_with_WXYZ_Logos%29_1442.png

I think you're right although in 1967 I don't think blue and silver per se existed not like the 70's and onward flags... Fun fact... The WXYZ-TV Detroit lettering is exactly the same look on that image as what they use today. It's a little smaller nowadays though...

Archived