NBC & CBS Splitting TNF next season

WCAUTVNBC10

Each network is getting 5 games (separately from the two games NBC already gets for Thursday Kickoff and Thanksgiving Night).

Didn't see this coming at all:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/01/nfl-reaches-deal-with-cbs-and-nbc-for-thursday-night-football.html

No surprise. Early reports of this deal surfaced 11 days ago on various outlets. Also mentioned on TNF package thread: http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/nfl-reportedly-selling-the-thursday-night-football-package.15116/

Additional details:

*CBS gets first five games, NBC gets second five games, NFLN gets last eight games exclusive (in additional to simulcasting the others). Late season Saturdays are included in that total (presumably 4 games, although I'm thinking one of those games will probably be on Friday 12/23 in 2016 or there may be some doubleheaders). Opening weekend Thursday and Thanksgiving Thursday remain with NBC under their SNF package.

*CBS and NBC will use their lead broadcast teams (CBS-Nantz/Simms, NBC-Michaels/Collinsworth).

Questions remaining:

1. Who will handle pregame? Will it change when a separate network takes over. Will they use a mix of all three? Who will handle pregame on the NFLN-exclusive games?

2. Who will handle the play-by-play and commentating on the NFLN-exclusive games?

3. Will the same theme, graphics, and music be used for entire package? Will the NBC peacock, CBS eye, and NFLN logo all appear simultaneously on the TNF logo?

4. Which affiliates get right of first refusal for NFLN-exclusive games, CBS's or NBC's?

As much as I love Al Michaels, NBC would be wise to find someone else to do Thursday nights, in my opinion. While he could work another decade, does Al want to do 2 games a week for an additional 5 weeks each season, especially in the more weather-risky second half of the season. Even if they weren't grooming a successor, having a back-up play-by-play man wouldn't be a bad idea if the grind got to be too much for Michaels.

But that's just me.

As much as I love Al Michaels, NBC would be wise to find someone else to do Thursday nights, in my opinion. While he could work another decade, does Al want to do 2 games a week for an additional 5 weeks each season, especially in the more weather-risky second half of the season. Even if they weren't grooming a successor, having a back-up play-by-play man wouldn't be a bad idea if the grind got to be too much for Michaels.

But that's just me.

It technically is the second third (not half) of the season, which in 2016 is likely the third Thursday in October through the the third Thursday in November (although the fourth Thursday in November along with Opening Thursday are already NBC's). They do have others: Tom Hammond (although he is old too) and Dan Hicks. I think Bob Costas could easily fill that role as well.

It technically is the second third (not half) of the season, which in 2016 is likely the third Thursday in October through the the third Thursday in November (although the fourth Thursday in November along with Opening Thursday are already NBC's). They do have others: Tom Hammond (although he is old too) and Dan Hicks. I think Bob Costas could easily fill that role as well.

[MEDIA=twitter]694245105377607684[/MEDIA]

Based on that, NBC has the final 6 Thursday games (Thanksgiving game included in my count).

Edit: NBC themselves confirmed their portion of the games start week 11, not including the Week 1 game.

On NBC side. I think that Dan Patrick will be the studio host. With Rich Eisen on the 2nd set or another personality from NFL Network

Dan Patrick mentioned on his radio show a week or so ago he would likely not be involved, since TNF requires travel to the game site, and it would be tough on him to do the radio show the next day.

Archived