KLAS Gets New Set

DesertNewsGeek

It looks like KLAS is broadcasting from a temporary set. In a pre-recored segment, the 8-year-old BDI set was in the background and in a state of being dismantled.

Now to see if Nexstar will replace it with an el cheapo, in-house set with "LOCAL" plastered all over it, or if they will actually spend some cash on a competitive set design in light of the new digs over at KSNV.

It looks like KLAS is broadcasting from a temporary set. In a pre-recored segment, the 8-year-old BDI set was in the background and in a state of being dismantled.

Now to see if Nexstar will replace it with an el cheapo, in-house set with "LOCAL" plastered all over it, or if they will actually spend some cash on a competitive set design in light of the new digs over at KSNV.

The "LOCAL" plastering is because of the focus of localism, in a similar way that Sinclair's "terrorism alert desk" is because of the focus on the war on terror, though both are probably the worst received news gimmicks, but at least it's not Scripps

Interesting. KSNV was off their main set for 3 months, and KLAS will turn their main studio around in less than a month.

Not uncommon if they have infrastructure work being done as well, such as a new lighting grid, electrical work, flooring, etc.

Interesting. KSNV was off their main set for 3 months, and KLAS will turn their main studio around in less than a month.

Also keep in mind that Nexstar likes to build their sets in-house with local contractors as opposed to outsourcing it to another company (that is, unless they decided to make an exception for KLAS).

Guest NewsHound

Am I the only one that gets the feeling that all these sneak peaks (at least 2 a day on average) are going to ruin the premiere of the new set?

I'm biased, but if you want to use monitors for the weather, it needs to be a LARGE monitor display, something that takes up most of the screen. Having weather information displayed on such a small screen where the talent and set is more prominent than the information trying to be conveyed seems counterproductive. But who knows, maybe those monitors are bigger than they looked

Here is another tease of the new set, it is way out of the box for Netstar. Which I knew KLAS is not the cheapest thing in town so you have to spend money on them.

Reminder: Perry Sook is on the NAB board of directors, and the NAB convention is coming to town. Also, KLAS has a history of being first in the market with new broadcast innovations. Gotta represent.

Reminder: Perry Sook is on the NAB board of directors, and the NAB convention is coming to town. Also, KLAS has a history of being first in the market with new broadcast innovations. Gotta represent.

There's no doubt the set will be ready by NAB. It may not be on-air but it will be done. Devlin will bus people to and from the show to show it off.

Vegas stations are in a unique position to want products that NAB vendors want to show off... It'd be ridiculous for Devlin to build a set in the exhibit hall, but if a station in town is looking for a new set... Well... They can make a deal.

Park Place did the same thing with KTNV a few years ago.

So Weeters, are you saying that Nexstar got a nice deal from Devlin for the set because its going to be a Devlin showpiece for the NAB?

In reality, the set tour from Dave Courvoisier (sp?) is making it look impressive. I guess the other thing is are they going with NEXSTAR graphics or is something custom going to be created for them or are they keeping the same look and just a brand new set. (And I will say that although the current look is literally an in house simplistic look with the impressive stock footage of Vegas being used from their prior GO package, the look has held up well as well as the 360 theme that debuted around the same time)

So Weeters, are you saying that Nexstar got a nice deal from Devlin for the set because its going to be a Devlin showpiece for the NAB?

In reality, the set tour from Dave Courvoisier (sp?) is making it look impressive. I guess the other thing is are they going with NEXSTAR graphics or is something custom going to be created for them or are they keeping the same look and just a brand new set. (And I will say that although the current look is literally an in house simplistic look with the impressive stock footage of Vegas being used from their prior GO package, the look has held up well as well as the 360 theme that debuted around the same time)

It looks more like BDI work to me.

I think this is the most teased set in world. With this tease you get a glimpse of the graphics that will premiere soon and that they are sticking with the 8 News Now branding.

Well one thing I can tell is that KLAS isn't going to get the standard Nexstar graphics. Overall the set is actually looking pretty nice so far.

Archived