KLAS Gets New Set

DesertNewsGeek

So Weeters, are you saying that Nexstar got a nice deal from Devlin for the set because its going to be a Devlin showpiece for the NAB?

In reality, the set tour from Dave Courvoisier (sp?) is making it look impressive. I guess the other thing is are they going with NEXSTAR graphics or is something custom going to be created for them or are they keeping the same look and just a brand new set. (And I will say that although the current look is literally an in house simplistic look with the impressive stock footage of Vegas being used from their prior GO package, the look has held up well as well as the 360 theme that debuted around the same time)

Except for the fact that I was wrong about the designer, pretty much. KLAS wants a new set before sweeps, and Park Place wants to be able to showcase one of their sets at the show. You can imagine there's some leverage there for Park Place to eat some of the costs, especially since KLAS seems to be on a fast-track install schedule (which is probably part of the marketing here... "This set was assembled in just 3 weeks!")

I know of other stations that have gotten similar deals on ENG trucks. A lot of the trucks on display at the show end up bound for west coast stations. Nobody wants to drive a fleet of trucks back across the country.

Park Place would be bussing people to KLAS. Set designers want to show off their latest and greatest designs and technology to potentional customers during NAB.

I was under the impression that Park did the design for KLAS not Devlin... so why then would he be bussing people to the station?

A lot of the curvatures in the walls look like a design idea stolen from Devlin and FX, but overall, it's not a bad looking set.

Most every set Park Place does are cheap imitations of other set designers because their designers are weak. I first thought it was a Devlin set too, but if you look closely it doesn't have the same proportions and flow of a Devlin set. KLAS has a reputation for strong arming all of its vendors, more so than most Vegas stations, for the NAB bragging rights, and then when show time comes they don't go out of their way to host guests. Top tier set companies like Jack Morton, Devlin, BDI, and Clickspring know it and are most likely immune to their BS because they don't need the additional exposure. Companies like Park Place and FX, not so much.

Most every set Park Place does are cheap imitations of other set designers because their designers are weak. [...] Companies like Park Place and FX, not so much.

Those white curved frames screamed old-WPIX set, which made me think it was FX. Overall, it's not a bad set design for Park Place. Certainly better than the ones some of the Scripps stations got.

As for FX, what happened to them? Back when stations were beginning to convert to HD, FX seemed to be all the rage. Now they've tapered of. The last impressive set of note I can recall them building is WCCO's.

As the premiere date is coming up on Monday, KLAS is doing rehearsals on the new set that is about finished up and looks pretty good for a Nexstar station set. Here goes some more of the most previewed set in the world from Facebook:

As the premiere date is coming up on Monday, KLAS is doing rehearsals on the new set that is about finished up and looks pretty good for a Nexstar station set. Here goes some more of the most previewed set in the world from Facebook:

You get a pretty good peek at the new weather graphics in the first video you posted. I haven't seen those graphics in use at other Nexstar stations as of yet so it's surprising but also refreshing to see that Nexstar is still trying to make KLAS somewhat unique compared to the rest of the stations in the Nexstar station group.

You get a pretty good peek at the new weather graphics in the first video you posted. I haven't seen those graphics in use at other Nexstar stations as of yet so it's surprising but also refreshing to see that Nexstar is still trying to make KLAS somewhat unique compared to the rest of the stations in the Nexstar station group.

I saw the weather graphics in it, but it kind of seems like they integrated a eye in to the backdrop with the logo maybe?

The whole studio seems CBS This Morning inspired and has good depth.

Nice change of pace - really like the Nevada map by the weather center. Makes it clear this is not a cookie cutter set, and feels authentic.

Just wish the home base backdrop was more heroic.

I'm stunned and shocked by that Nexstar pulled out the checkbook for this. The graphics are nice and non cookie cutter. Nexstar must have extended a offer to Charlie Van Dyke as VO for it stations.

Screams Renderon and same goes for the KCTV package.

Yeah it's definitely RenderOn. If anything this package is a modification of KCTV's.

As for the set, I'm not a huge fan of the floor, but otherwise it looks pretty nice.

Yeah it's definitely RenderOn. If anything this package is a modification of KCTV's.

As for the set, I'm not a huge fan of the floor, but otherwise it looks pretty nice.

I feel like the forecast screencap looked similar to the current graphics Media General stations have been using.

Not a bad set, just not a huge fan of the floor... it's fighting with the set visually... the floor graphic doesn't seem to match any color found on the actual set. The transition from the set to the floor is visually jarring.

Archived