WREX New graphics

speed053

The last graphics package WREX used (like the ones WKOW, WGEM, KTIV, KWWL, KTTC, WAOW, and WSJV are using) were much better with the blue backgrounds, and I prefer those over the current WREX silver and gold graphics. And yes, I don't like the mix in the fonts too. Even with the weather graphics, same thing.

The last graphics package WREX used (like the ones WKOW, WGEM, KTIV, KWWL, KTTC, WAOW, and WSJV are using) were much better with the blue backgrounds, and I prefer those over the current WREX silver and gold graphics. And yes, I don't like the mix in the fonts too. Even with the weather graphics, same thing.

A.k.a., the Qunicy Newspapers graphic package.

• 2 weeks later...
A.k.a., the Qunicy Newspapers graphic package.

Yes, the Quincy Newspapers news graphic package is better than the current graphics.

Ick ick ick... Weather graphics are AWFUL -- Hate the mix in fonts... Hate the gold branding on silver background (I can't read the 13 or Authority in the weather banner) -- Someone didn't think that thru at all

I checked WKOW today. They started using the same graphics.

• 6 months later...

I posted this over on the Sets subforum but I figured I'd crosspost to the Graphics forum. The Quincy graphics have now rolled out to seven stations: WREX, WKOW, WEEK, KBJR, WBNG, WPTA, and KWWL. I made an aircheck compilation:

(The jitteriness is because I upconverted from 1080i to 1080p for Youtube.)

In addition, the older blue Quincy graphics, still seen on WGEM, WVVA, KTTC, KTIV, and WX/Q/AOW, have debuted on KBJR 6.2 and WPTA 21.2, which have absorbed the affiliations and news operations of KDLH and WISE respectively.

At WREX, we did eventually get the weather graphics to be all-Gotham. (I don't know why Helvetica hung around so long on the maps, especially when KO seemed to be able to switch over all at once. Don't ask me, I just work here.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be the dissenting vote here: these graphics are really not that bad. I agree the grey could use some extra splashes of colors, and not using the right ABC treatment in WKOW's case is rather inexcusable, but...it could be a lot worse. We have to look at the plus sides - they're well-animated graphics that definitely had thought put into them, and the standardized logos are improvements in a few cases (e.g. WEEK, KBJR).

The sets are pretty decent too - nothing too eye-popping fancy, nothing too eye-gouging horrible. They seem to pair well with the graphics too.

All in all, for the money they probably had to work with, they did pretty well. I'll give the whole look a A-.

Archived