MidwestTV

I like how NewscastStudio completely forgot that this isn't really new in the TV industry and instead focuses on companies and websites with their own fonts. For those that don't know, ABC has ABC Modern, which closely resembles Avant Garde. NBC has their customized version of DIN ("Arthouse DIN", I believe). :rolleyes:

It probably has to do with font licensing. ABC distributes ABC Modern to their affiliates because they own it and have the right to do that. If they used Avant Garde, they'd have to strike some licensing deal to distribute it, or force stations to buy it (who probably wouldn't and would then shove odd fonts into network-provided files). CNN likely has the right to put this on every computer they own without paying licensing fees to the foundry that made it.

Why not use an open source font then?

Roboto (the Android OS font) is a pretty distinct-looking font that has multiple weights/styles, and was built for high-resolution screens in mind. Then, however, it'd look like Google were running you.

I like how NewscastStudio completely forgot that this isn't really new in the TV industry and instead focuses on companies and websites with their own fonts. For those that don't know, ABC has ABC Modern, which closely resembles Avant Garde. NBC has their customized version of DIN ("Arthouse DIN", I believe). :rolleyes:

Not to mention NBC actually has a custom Futura that accompanied its 1986 logo refresh. It has a pointed N and a double-V W and is most memorably used in the NBC News logo.

As to this, I'm kind of ticked that my own discovery is being used without credit, but I hear that's how NewscastStudio rolls.

It probably has to do with font licensing. ABC distributes ABC Modern to their affiliates because they own it and have the right to do that. If they used Avant Garde, they'd have to strike some licensing deal to distribute it, or force stations to buy it (who probably wouldn't and would then shove odd fonts into network-provided files). CNN likely has the right to put this on every computer they own without paying licensing fees to the foundry that made it.

Truthfully, I wasn't really aware of this. The only custom font to a network I was even remotely aware of was NBC with NBC News.

At least it's not Century Gothic like what Fox News loves to use.

Truthfully, I wasn't really aware of this. The only custom font to a network I was even remotely aware of was NBC with NBC News.

At least it's not Century Gothic like what Fox News loves to use.

Those L3s are stock Futura, but FNC has always been a real laggard in general on design. They once used Avant Garde as well.

You're exactly right. As a font designer, I wish more people would do this. Not just because I would like to be hired for such a project, but also because the issue of unlicensed distribution that you mentioned is a huge problem, and has been for years. It's like speeding. You know it's wrong, but everybody does it, so ... it can't be too bad right? Nope. It's as wrong as pirating a movie or a CD, and the people who get hurt by it don't make much to start with. Kudos to CNN, ABC and others for doing it the right way.

You're exactly right. As a font designer, I wish more people would do this. Not just because I would like to be hired for such a project, but also because the issue of unlicensed distribution that you mentioned is a huge problem, and has been for years. It's like speeding. You know it's wrong, but everybody does it, so ... it can't be too bad right? Nope. It's as wrong as pirating a movie or a CD, and the people who get hurt by it don't make much to start with. Kudos to CNN, ABC and others for doing it the right way.

What really pisses me off is all those counterfeit Chinese knock-off fonts invading our shores daily.

Often I will see little children with school books and coloring books with the fake fonts and it makes me so angry.

I hope our new President finally addresses this epic problem and comes together with other free nations in combating Illegal font trafficking.

What really pisses me off is all those counterfeit Chinese knock-off fonts invading our shores daily.

Often I will see little children with school books and coloring books with the fake fonts and it makes me so angry.

I hope our new President finally addresses this epic problem and comes together with other free nations in combating Illegal font trafficking.

Your sarcasm is showing. I was serious. What's your deal?

and CBS and CW uses a modified version of Gotham.
Who else uses Gotham?

Does font trafficing even exist?

Your sarcasm is showing. I was serious. What's your deal?

No cause is too small...we shall destroy this deep dark secret together.

Welcome to TVNT.

I'm the sarcastic one of the bunch.

Others here just consider me a lost cause.

Don't take it too personal...I once made a guy cry when I told him all the ABC O&O's were being sold to Mattel.

Just sidle up to the wet bar and enjoy....I got some good Gotham Purple Kush if you want a hit later.

Do you know of any yummy marine mammles to munch on?

I would take my Mother out for a bite...but I ate her during the great "Humpback shortage" of 1997.

Kisses!

No cause is too small...we shall destroy this deep dark secret together.

Welcome to TVNT.

I'm the sarcastic one of the bunch.

Others here just consider me a lost cause.

Don't take it too personal...I once made a guy cry when I told him all the ABC O&O's were being sold to Mattel.

Just sidle up to the wet bar and enjoy....I got some good Gotham Purple Kush if you want a hit later.

Do you know of any yummy marine mammles to munch on?

I would take my Mother out for a bite...but I ate her during the great "Humpback shortage" of 1997.

Kisses!

Ahhh ... There's one in every bunch, eh?

Who else uses Gotham?

Does font trafficing even exist?

Fonts propagate easily because they are relatively simple code with no DRM attributes. When someone works on a project and hands it off, they typically hand off the fonts that they used along with everything else. The problem is that font licensing is usually only good for a limited number of computers, typically five. But those fonts often end up on dozens, if not hundreds of computers. As a good rule of thumb, if you don't personally know who purchased the font legitimately, it's probably not being used legitimately. (Unless, of course, it's installed with your system, but I'm not really talking about those. But even those fonts are protected by license agreements and cannot be redistributed.)

I worked for a Hearst station during the rollout of their current group look in 2012. The guy running the hub in Orlando actually purchased licenses for the font Effra for each station.

I worked for a Hearst station during the rollout of their current group look in 2012. The guy running the hub in Orlando actually purchased licenses for the font Effra for each station.

Of course one of the biggest broadcasters is one of the worlds most accused "Font Diddlers"......;

NBC!!!

Yes fine folks...underneath those frilly colors is one of the most prolific font peddlers of all time.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/nbcu-sued-harry-potter-font-theft-lawsuit-351823

We must also stop the trafficking of lower cased fonts worldwide. This is unacceptable.

Archived