New NBC/MSNBC Newsroom Studio

Newstudent

I like it. As I wrote on TVForum this morning I'm guessing something major is going on in studio 3A. This would kind of be the best timeframe to build a new set. Over the next two weeks there will be conventions when a large portion of their programming will be from Cleveland / Philadelphia and then the Olympics where most of their dayside programming will be preempted.

This October they will have been in 3A (and MSNBC from MYC as well) for nine years with some slight modifications to the studio. First they removed the gears in the floor that move the desks, then they added the fish bowl for breaking news and finally the LED wall.

I think rkolsen's onto something. Brian Williams is anchoring Baton Rouge coverage from the new 4th floor studio rather than the fishbowl. The earlier coverage had a background of 3A, but the one camera shot was so tight and locked off that it could easily have been the news nook.

The newsroom the new studio is in obsoleted the newsroom in 3A...

So that right there should be a sign that there's something major happening.

(Also, must we continue to drop links to Newscast Studio without any sort of commentary or summary whatsoever? I have noticed this has been a trend for some time.)

So that right there should be a sign that there's something major happening.

(Also, must we continue to drop links to Newscast Studio without any sort of commentary or summary whatsoever? I have noticed this has been a trend for some time.)

Do you think that 3A is going to be back in service for MSNBC or are 3K and the new 4A gong to be the primary MSNBC studios? Do you have any contacts inside NBC?

Also agree wholeheartedly about dropping links without any context.

Sorry about that, i am still somewhat new here, havent picked up on the link etiquette.

It appears that 3A has been retrofitted for the Conventions. The whole wall where previous election results from primary nights were shown on 6 monitors has become a whole wall of screens to serve as a false background from the convention hall. It makes it appear as if the studio is in the hall.

It appears that 3A has been retrofitted for the Conventions. The whole wall where previous election results from primary nights were shown on 6 monitors has become a whole wall of screens to serve as a false background from the convention hall. It makes it appear as if the studio is in the hall.

Here's a good capture from our lovely friends over at Newscast Studio

[MEDIA=twitter]755216464773120000[/MEDIA]

Here's a good capture from our lovely friends over at Newscast Studio

Ehh, I wouldn't go as far as calling them "lovely friends" since they like to constantly steal errr "borrow" content from TVNT without giving this site the proper credit.

Is my sense of where that LED wall is within the studio off, or is the "garage door" now gone as well? That screencap appears to show the RP screens and the catwalk on the far left side of the image.

It's definitely fitting with the very consistent (MS)NBC "look" that the network and O&Os have had since the 3rd floor renovations and MSNBC's return to New York. I thought when I first saw it that they had borrowed 3B while Lester Holt was in Cleveland.

Ehh, I wouldn't go as far as calling them "lovely friends" since they like to constantly steal errr "borrow" content from TVNT without giving this site the proper credit.

Trying to be sarcastic.

Is my sense of where that LED wall is within the studio off, or is the "garage door" now gone as well? That screencap appears to show the RP screens and the catwalk on the far left side of the image.

It's definitely fitting with the very consistent (MS)NBC "look" that the network and O&Os have had since the 3rd floor renovations and MSNBC's return to New York. I thought when I first saw it that they had borrowed 3B while Lester Holt was in Cleveland.

I think the old garage is no more. They were no longer moving sets in and out like crazy but I guess one of the video walls must be able to move for that sole purpose. I don't think there is any other large entrance /exit that could fit the desks - unless the main one is moved to the corner behind the cameras right now. I wonder why they no longer use the catwalk?

I'm curious as to what type of camera is feeding the live backdrop at MSNBC? The video is crisp and clear and doesn't appear to be distorted or stretched across the screens. Could it be a 4K feed or something like this Chyron product called VistaCam which takes a few cameras and stitches it together for a panoramic view? Or is it something incredibly simple such as the quality of the panels used for the video wall?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the garage door is now the left most LED panel. Check out this image - the bottom section is different from the rest:

[MEDIA=flickr]28410994912[/MEDIA]

Noticed tonight that Rachel Maddow is still in the big insert studio with images of the old 3A set on the monitors. Makes me wonder if the 3A elections setup is temporary. Seems odd that they'd partially replace a set with something that's not really that impressive. Wonder if there's more coming.

Noticed tonight that Rachel Maddow is still in the big insert studio with images of the old 3A set on the monitors. Makes me wonder if the 3A elections setup is temporary. Seems odd that they'd partially replace a set with something that's not really that impressive. Wonder if there's more coming.

As far as I know Morning Joe is the only show coming from 3A. It's kind of confusing as to what's going on - they were out for a week or two to install the "Election Wall" less than a year ago and then they come in and install this corner. It's almost like they didn't have a long term vision.

If it's temporary it seems like they went through a lot of work.

I'm honestly not a fan of the new newsroom studio. All the brickwork is very 90s, and the ceilings are quite low. The whole setup reminds me of WNBC's awful 2008-2012 "Content Center" which was basically a converted conference room. Although obviously a more functional space, the new newsroom is pretty dreary and drab, and actually pretty cheap looking.

It's a shame that 3A is honestly only used for Morning Joe. There is a certain elegance to the layout of the studio, even if it never was a truly working newsroom. For a set that's nearly ten years old, it barely feels dated, and it's a shame that they're moving towards a fairly indistinctive look.

Case in point: maxresdefault.jpg

Tamron%2B%2BHall%2B%2B%2B2.jpg

Vs.

ncs_msnbc-studio-4c_002.jpg

ncs_msnbc-studio-4c_005.jpg

What's also strange about 3A is that while it's had a few small-to-large sized changes to it over the years, the left half of the set has stayed pretty much unchanged. The backlit wall with plasmas is still there; the almost never used mezzanine is still there; and those two 4:3 rear projection displays are still there. The other side of the set has gone through more changes. Originally, it was just a simple, always white wall with some metal trimming.

I'm also not sure if I'm a fan of those big displays. I think it's pretty disingenuous that they came up with a way to make a broadcast so closely appear as if it's at the convention when really it isn't. And the way it looks on Morning Joe now looks pretty strange too.

What's also strange about 3A is that while it's had a few small-to-large sized changes to it over the years, the left half of the set has stayed pretty much unchanged. The backlit wall with plasmas is still there; the almost never used mezzanine is still there; and those two 4:3 rear projection displays are still there. The other side of the set has gone through more changes. Originally, it was just a simple, always white wall with some metal trimming.

To be fair that wall was pretty bare and didn't look quite right being so empty compared to the other side.

I wish they would spend some time refreshing/updating the left wall. I'd keep the structure as is but replace the fixtures - LEDs in the wall, the monitors which are burnt in and replace the two RP with 16:9 versions. The two rear projectors seem to be MSNBC's only 4:3 displays and some graphics have started to get cut off.

To be fair that wall was pretty bare and didn't look quite right being so empty compared to the other side.

I think they solved that when they added a column of color and before they added a bunch of monitors. It's really amazing to think how flexible that set is and how many different looks have been pulled off with it. I feel like adding two gigantic video walls is less interesting than all the other things they did with it before.

It appears the new newsroom studio has made its official network debut today during Today. Savannah Guthrie was reporting from the newsroom for non Rio Olympics based stories with the camera facing the large multi viewer video wall.

Rachel Maddow's show (minus Rachel) is coming from the newsroom studio tonight... Which is mocked up to look like the old 3A set.

It's really weird to me that they are going through all this work to mock up the old 3A set virtually in different studios and not just using the actual 3A set, where they could do the same thing but permanently.

• 3 weeks later...
Rachel Maddow's show (minus Rachel) is coming from the newsroom studio tonight... Which is mocked up to look like the old 3A set.

It's really weird to me that they are going through all this work to mock up the old 3A set virtually in different studios and not just using the actual 3A set, where they could do the same thing but permanently.

I totally agree, and I also find it weird that Morning Joe is still operating out of 3A while all other shows seem to be in the new studio (I'm not sure about Hayes or O'Donnell). Now I do like the new studio but it doesn't seem necessary to me to have to be continually shifting talent into that studio when they have others available.

Archived