New Set / Possible Refresh coming to WCMH

ColumbusNewsFan

• 2 weeks later...

And I have would put this as heavy revamp as it premiered tonight at 5pm

Overall it was a strongly needed one as it made better use of their studios. Out was the large desk and in was a much smaller desk and it looks much better on air. If you want to see it in action just look up WCMH on NewsON or watch the latest news cast on nbc4i.com

Beg to differ. It is too cramped. Since news is the biggest driver of revenue, they really should give the news set some decent studio space. if they can't do that, they should rent space in the shopping center next door or maybe set something up back in the transmitter building.

Beg to differ. It is too cramped. Since news is the biggest driver of revenue, they really should give the news set some decent studio space. if they can't do that, they should rent space in the shopping center next door or maybe set something up back in the transmitter building.

I'll agree with you on that point as the space they give their news operation is bad. They actually give some more space for other sets like Daytime Columbus, Sports Saturday, Their Call 4 area. The original set was worst than what they have now but compared to WBNS and WSYX. It's is better the it was before but the closing shot of each newscast shows It's really small and it's shows on air.

I saw it again tonight just to make sure my initial Impressions were correct and they were. It's too small and too cramped. It has no depth and no sense of being larger than life. Even the video wall looks tiny and it almost looks like they're doing the same shot that they do sitting at the news desk. The video screen is small and I don't think they have enough room to do a full body shot. The lighting at the weather desk looks crappy and so do those monitors they use. Again it looks amateurish.

Basically, it looks like I decided to turn my basement into a studio. I think the old setup was better because it gave that small space a little more depth.

Are you seriously telling me that they are shorting the news operation just so they can have space for Call 4? and Football Friday Night? And Daytime? Who are the idiots who run that place? Can't they at least put the Call 4 and the Football Friday Night sets on some kind of a platform so they can roll them out of the way when they don't need them? And can't they have some transitional space that can be used by both the newscast and Daytime?

Perry Sook is going to break something when he falls to the floor laughing when he sees this.

THUMBS DOWN!

Ok why do WCMH execs think that having separate spaces for sports shows is Ok? Most stations use the anchor desk for the sports shows and it dosen't hurt them one bit. Nexstar is going to have a field day in Columbus once the sale is complete.

Ok why do WCMH execs think that having separate spaces for sports shows is Ok? Most stations use the anchor desk for the sports shows and it dosen't hurt them one bit. Nexstar is going to have a field day in Columbus once the sale is complete.

What makes you think they aren't already there? I've already seen some "Local 4" creep coming in promos.

• 4 weeks later...

They needed to make a change. The 2013 set just didn't look right.

What surprises me is that they have two production studios, but they seem to utilize the smaller studio space for newscasts while the larger studio is used for everything else. It used to be, in the '90s, they used the larger studio and they had space for an interview set, 5:30 news desk and I think the weather center.

Overall, I really don't like what they are doing.

Archived