Who designed the Group W typeface?

channel2

Al Primo mentioned something about who designed "the channel 3 logo" during his time creating Philadelphia's Eyewitness News. I keep thinking of the name Ken Philo but I'm not sure, and the book that mentioned this is hidden in a crate somewhere.

Al Primo mentioned something about who designed "the channel 3 logo" during his time creating Philadelphia's Eyewitness News. I keep thinking of the name Ken Philo but I'm not sure, and the book that mentioned this is hidden in a crate somewhere.

You might be right. Someone in a forum posted:

"The "Two Guys" referred to earlier were fellow artists with whom I worked in the Art Department of KYW-TV-3, where we did The Mike Douglas Show. Our National Art Director was a quiet genius named Ken Philo."

Philo also apparently did some set work as well, even for KOVR and Inside Edition.

^^^

Thanks for sharing. That makes a lot more sense. Designing a typeface is a massive undertaking, and certainly not one fit for any art director of a local TV station group. Lippincott is also still one of the major branding firms today — they've done the current identities for Starbucks, Delta Air Lines, Walmart, Marriott, and many more.

There's a PDF of a magazine from when the Group W identity was unveiled, but it wasn't loading for me. I was able to get this Google cache version of it, which has this to say about the typeface:

The expression that fitted all the criteria best and most incisively communicated the entire concept was the name ~ beautiful for its simplicity ~ Group W. Lippincott & Margulies' design team then went to work to develop a letter design of impact, clarity and uniqueness. The key, of course, was the letter W, which was designed as basically a Roman-style "W" with the thin stroke deleted and the stylized serifs at the top joined to form an uninterrupted base for the word "Group." The development of the full alphabet following the "W" design motif was a real challenge for the Lippincott & Margulies designers. The letters all had to relate to the basic “W”; they had to carry the excitement of "show business"; they had to be distinctively different, yet acceptable to a variety of different publics; they had to be adaptable to a variety of media situations, including the special visual problems that come up when the letters are projected via television.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:cS1i7Ou16boJ:oliverwymanlippincott.com/files/documents/sense-magazine/35/files/assets/downloads/sense35.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Group W Westinghouse Broadcasting's successor, CBS Corporation, owns the intellectual property rights to the typeface.

In fact, it's still used by license for Federated Media's 1190 WOWO Fort Wayne, which never dropped the logo or typeface after Group W spun it off to Price Communications in 1982.

Group W Westinghouse Broadcasting's successor, CBS Corporation, owns the intellectual property rights to the typeface.

In fact, it's still used by license for Federated Media's 1190 WOWO Fort Wayne, which never dropped the logo or typeface after Group W spun it off to Price Communications in 1982.

Ugh, Price Communications, the company that killed WKBW.

I thought it was under Granite that killed it legacy at WKBW???

To be fair, it's debatable as to how long KB Radio 15 would have lasted had CapCities not sold it. Music stations on the AM band dropped like flies in the late 80's; WWKB, CFTR and WLS were the last of the originals standing.

Price is also notable for selling WOWO to Inner City Broadcasting, who then sold it to Federated under the condition that WOWO ceded its class 1A status (and so Inner City's WLIB could get night hours).

Archived