KUSA New 10pm Open

C Block

The Roger Thompson thread reminded me that I never got around to uploading KUSA's newest 10pm open. Structurally, it's similar to the previous 10pm open with the fast cut B roll at the start, though they linger on the video after the anchor reads each headline, which is weird. But most noticeably, the graphics are completely different from the current brew of the Tegna house style. It looks a little bit like what they've done with KXTV, but not quite. The music is different too and is presumably stock.

It's not a huge deal, but seeing as Gannett experimented with KUSA's 10pm open in 2012 with something that ended up looking a lot like the current group-wide package that debuted a few months later, perhaps this could be a sign of more to come. Or maybe not!

Oh! I also forgot that a new fullscreen design has been popping up. The old/current one is still in use, but this one below seems to show up from time to time. I think there's a halfscreen version as well. There's also a little bit of motion to it, so it's not mostly static like the current design.

33908655876_98d956272a_c.jpg

I think maybe some other stations have gotten this too?

For me, I am just not impressed with that open. So consider me not a fan and hoping this stays in Denver.

As for the full screen, it has been in use for awhile - at least at other Tegna stations.

I hope this custom news open stays in Denver too, but I've gotta say I'm not surprised.

I see where this is going, KUSA Is the next Denver station to break away from standardized station group graphics made by Tegna. With that 2015 open for KMGH (

), ABC7 was the first to escape from the station group-wide graphics made by its owner Scripps.

I betcha any money that this is a news open made by another Denver-based graphics company, and not from the Tegna hub

Way too long. Just get to the news already.

It's interesting because KUSA's 10pm is now totally different from the competitors. KMGH started doing the fast/cold open with quick, short story writing and 2-3 weather hits several years ago. KCNC then copied it, and KUSA also went with a more fast-paced open with the anchor reading headlines with the video in an OTS. Now, KUSA has this long, serious open into an A-block that's 14 minutes long! Sports is in the also-very-long B-block and comes before weather, so weather doesn't hit until at about ~22 minutes in on a normal day. Say what you will about Gannett/Tegna, but at least they're willing to try some pretty creative things.

• 2 weeks later...

The style has also now made it to Tegna's DC station now, at least on the 11pm show. You can hear the music throughout but the slide-y open isn't used until mid-show as a pre-break topical sting.

The Roger Thompson thread reminded me that I never got around to uploading KUSA's newest 10pm open. Structurally, it's similar to the previous 10pm open with the fast cut B roll at the start, though they linger on the video after the anchor reads each headline, which is weird. But most noticeably, the graphics are completely different from the current brew of the Tegna house style. It looks a little bit like what they've done with KXTV, but not quite. The music is different too and is presumably stock.

It's not a huge deal, but seeing as Gannett experimented with KUSA's 10pm open in 2012 with something that ended up looking a lot like the current group-wide package that debuted a few months later, perhaps this could be a sign of more to come. Or maybe not!

Nice graphics and intro, I wish that TEGNA would allow KUSA to bring back the 1995-2009 theme but that will never happen as long as TEGNA owns KUSA

Add WFAA to the list. They debut their new 10pm open 25 minutes ago.

I'd like to see WFAA go back to this:

Or this:

With the announcer saying "It's Ten O'Clock and this is WFAA-TV, Channel 8. Working in the Spirit of Texas."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

...and it should be pointed out that KUSA has since gone back to the more traditional open. Three quick VO teases read live over that same production music, but then the full open with the Gari music, and still no 2-shot right off the top.

I find it interesting they would come up with this open, use it for about one Nielsen season, roll it out to a handful of other stations, and then go back to most of what they had before.

They must have realized that open was just way too long.

• 3 months later...

Archived