Worst HD-era Designs

C Block

I still think the Renderon Journal Broadcast Group package is one of the worst designs (and certainly the worst package Renderon has produced)

www.renderon.com/#/journal-broadast-group-package/

The as-designed lower thirds and fullscreens are bad, and a combo of the conversion to Viz and Journal's in-house tweaks made them worse.

The Journal graphics were bad, but so was Scripps' previous package: http://www.renderon.com/#/scripps-group/

To this day, I still don't understand what Renderon was thinking when they came up with that look.

The Journal graphics were bad, but so was Scripps' previous package: http://www.renderon.com/#/scripps-group/

To this day, I still don't understand what Renderon was thinking when they came up with that look.

Maybe someone liked honey lol. Seriously though that was a horrific color palette. I think if that package was of varying shades of blue instead of brown, it would have been a beautiful package.

Watching that video, I concur...

There was one bright spot - WPTV's short animation with the blue background really popped for me - reimaged in blue would have made the package much nicer, IMHO!

J

Maybe someone liked honey lol. Seriously though that was a horrific color palette. I think if that package was of varying shades of blue instead of brown, it would have been a beautiful package.

I content that if it was a combination of blue and yellow, blue orange and white (like their current package, or even red white and blue it would have been a lot better. Mixing brown, orange, and yellow was a terrible idea.

I really hated that package. It was so dark but kind of matched the brick look WMAR had going on at the time.

[MEDIA=flickr]5066080221[/MEDIA]

Whatever WTKR was trying to do here. Mechanical, cartoony Viz gfx, supers that didn't match the rest of the package, and an "HD" logo chillin' in the corner.

That f&(*ing radar ping noise!

I don't think it was so much Renderon as it was Scripps. I can't find it, but I remember an article way back when with Scripps saying they went with this unique color scheme because it was "earthy," new, and would stand out because more likely than not, every station in every market is going to be using blue or red. Having an atomic nuclear orange color scheme is definitely going to stand out. It just wasn't in a good way.

Interestingly enough, KMCI, KSHB's sister station, did use a blue variant of these graphics for some of their line up programming.

I never really cared for this Today Show package:

The way the lower thirds are angled make it seem off to me. If they wanted to add some depth they could have kept the angular look on the left side. Plus the way the ticker appears on top of the right side looks a bit sloppy.

Was this Today's first HD package?

Edit: forgot to mention that the same package had the bug on the right side of the screen:

While a lot of these are really busy...

A lot of graphics today trying to swing to simplicity lose the 'wow' factor of the medium.

A TV screen is luminous - and luminous graphics with some shine and dimension look great on them. It's not a matte piece of paper.

Just don't have 30 elements moving around at the same time.

Archived