New KPHO and KTVK sets

Samantha

People *still* call it NewsChannel 3, especially if they've been in Phoenix a while. I suggested the Eyewitness News brand (which both stations used at one point or another) if they wanted a deeper integration, but that doesn't fit what they've gone for.

As to the Phoenix part, it's almost a necessity to put a place name in your Facebook page if you have a common number-network combo or brand. When KSAZ ditched the awful MyFoxPhoenix website, instead of going back to fox10.com, they changed to fox10phoenix.com. KNXV is now doing more and more branding as "ABC15 Arizona" (a bit redundant, but...).

I'm surprised they aren't going the "Western Mass News" route WGGB/WSHM did as far as names, such as 'Arizona's News' or even 'Sun Valley News'. They're a little bland but it does what it needs to do, better than "Arizona's Family", which just give me eye-rolling 90s vibes of a Matt Lauer wannabe laughing with a female co-host and rotund weatherman in shorts.

At least KNXV can justify branding with 'Arizona' since its sister stations cover the majority of the state now.

I'm surprised they aren't going the "Western Mass News" route WGGB/WSHM did as far as names, such as 'Arizona's News' or even 'Sun Valley News'. They're a little bland but it does what it needs to do, better than "Arizona's Family", which just give me eye-rolling 90s vibes of a Matt Lauer wannabe laughing with a female co-host and rotund weatherman in shorts.

At least KNXV can justify branding with 'Arizona' since its sister stations cover the majority of the state now.

Sun Valley is in Idaho. "Valley News" might work. I suggested "Arizona's News" myself. "Arizona's Family" as an umbrella brand does have some brand equity — it was KTVK's URL, and well before that it was KTVK's slogan, dating to the Lewis family days. I'm talking the early 90s (and maybe the late 80s), too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5RG1ZrvYT8

I really like the new set. The photos the anchors teased made me indifferent.

I really like the CBS Eye on the floor and rostrum (been reading TVForum too long) for the desk.

Archived