Sunday Morning not recognizing its history...

bmasters1

Something irked and baffled me earlier on Sunday Morning w/Jane Pauley, something that I thought they would have done, this being the exact day (to the date) of the show's premiere in 1979, 39 years ago. What is it that irked and baffled me? This: they went back to another Jan. 28, this in 1985, and IIRC, that was the day of the 12th American Music Awards (that is, IINM, what I believe Jane talked about earlier).

Did they think, since Charles Kuralt was remembered last year on his posthumous 83rd, that there would be no further need to commemorate the premiere of Sunday Morning (in other words, are anniversaries celebrated only every 5 to 10 years in the television business [the last one of Today being its 65th])?

They devoted much of today's edition to the Grammys tonight. I'm sure it was a CBS decision, as they promote the Grammys extensively on most of their news broadcasts.

That must have been it, then! Thanks for the heads-up. Still, it irked me that the Grammys would be spotlighted as of another Jan. 28, when Sunday Morning could have had its premiere recognized.

Usually the broadcasts skip the odd year anniversaries (usually a one line acknowledging it) and celebrate the big years 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 and so on. I was surprised the Today show did anything for 65 last year.

Usually the broadcasts skip the odd year anniversaries (usually a one line acknowledging it) and celebrate the big years 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 and so on. I was surprised the Today show did anything for 65 last year.

IINM, most local stations ignore any anniversaries that aren't -0 or -5 as well, unless there's a specific reason.

IINM, most local stations ignore any anniversaries that aren't -0 or -5 as well, unless there's a specific reason.

Unless you are in a REALLY SMALL market...

Where "The Great Flood of '66' is remembered EVERY year...without fail!

Every frigging year we have to see "Muffy' (from KBBL)do that stupid stand-up in front of that 'hi-water' mark painted on the side of the local 5 and dime store....

Or was it a Woolworth's???

Or was it Pennys??

Or was it the Dollar Mart...??

Oh I I know...

It's now a Chinese restaurant.

Eat News

Chilli'n small town USA.

I get the frustration, I find it refreshing that they didn't commemorate the history. The huge celebrations that take place on these morning shows for their anniversaries are so ridiculous (Today is especially bad). It shows how seriously they take themselves and after you've watched the 50th and 60th, GMA's 30th and 40th anniversary shows you just really don't need to see another one -- it's all the same fawning over themselves that they somehow always find a way to do.

• 2 weeks later...
I get the frustration, I find it refreshing that they didn't commemorate the history. The huge celebrations that take place on these morning shows for their anniversaries are so ridiculous (Today is especially bad). It shows how seriously they take themselves and after you've watched the 50th and 60th, GMA's 30th and 40th anniversary shows you just really don't need to see another one -- it's all the same fawning over themselves that they somehow always find a way to do.

Well in the pre youtube days, it was one of the few ways for us newscast production element junkies to get our fix of history.

Always enjoyed them - but the more recent ones have been tougher to watch.

Archived