KLDO loses local news

Samantha

We missed this...

The 5pm newscast on February 28 was the end of the line for KLDO's local news operation. Entravision axed the entire news operation and will provide news from KNVO (McAllen) instead.

HR informed the news team after that newscast that it was over. That night's 10pm show was immediately canceled.

All that has been retained by Entravision in Laredo: anchor and 20-year station veteran Alma Ferrara (in some other capacity), as well as one MMJ, a news assistant and a photographer.

This is not the first time Entravision has dropped local news in a market. The New Mexico and Tampa operations were similarly affected in 2015.

Apparently, the same thing had happened last year to the ECC-run Fox news operations in Laredo and McAllen, now combined as "Fox News South Texas".

There is only one source of local news there now, KGNS?

Plus whatever is produced in Nuevo Laredo. It does have a local station, and given some structural changes between Televisa and its affiliate partners, who knows what it's airing. Azteca might have some local programming. I doubt Multimedios does as they appear to be on their own hubbing push with their Tamaulipas stations.

We missed this...

The 5pm newscast on February 28 was the end of the line for KLDO's local news operation. Entravision axed the entire news operation and will provide news from KNVO (McAllen) instead.

HR informed the news team after that newscast that it was over. That night's 10pm show was immediately canceled.

All that has been retained by Entravision in Laredo: anchor and 20-year station veteran Alma Ferrara (in some other capacity), as well as one MMJ, a news assistant and a photographer.

This is not the first time Entravision has dropped local news in a market. The New Mexico and Tampa operations were similarly affected in 2015.

Apparently, the same thing had happened last year to the ECC-run Fox news operations in Laredo and McAllen, now combined as "Fox News South Texas".

What was the reasoning behind shuttering KLDO's news department? Low ratings?

Cost-cutting, I'd imagine. Entravision has done some of that in recent years on the TV side.

In the article it mentioned about Entravision eliminating Spanish-speaking news departments in Tampa/St. Petersberg and in New Mexico.

My next question becomes, what did Entravision outsource it's newscasts to in those areas?

In the article it mentioned about Entravision eliminating Spanish-speaking news departments in Tampa/St. Petersberg and in New Mexico.

My next question becomes, what did Entravision outsource it's newscasts to in those areas?

Itself, at other stations, but only *production* moved. The Orlando station began producing the Tampa newscast, while the Denver operation began producing the New Mexico local newscast (both recorded live-to-tape and played out an hour later). It also had in 2015 axed a locally produced newscast in Midland/Odessa to be produced from El Paso.

This is a little different in that not only is production of the local newscast being moved, but the actual news products (I think) are being combined.

Regional-grade local news in Spanish-language television is not that uncommon. The Serestar Telemundo stations in California (Sacramento and Fresno notably) just introduced a shared 11pm local newscast. Phoenix and Tucson have always been a common local market in Spanish. NBCU recently expanded the coverage area of its Boston Telemundo newscast to all of New England and renamed the station Telemundo Nueva Inglaterra accordingly.

Itself, at other stations, but only *production* moved. The Orlando station began producing the Tampa newscast, while the Denver operation began producing the New Mexico local newscast (both recorded live-to-tape and played out an hour later). It also had in 2015 axed a locally produced newscast in Midland/Odessa to be produced from El Paso.

This is a little different in that not only is production of the local newscast being moved, but the actual news products (I think) are being combined.

Regional-grade local news in Spanish-language television is not that uncommon. The Serestar Telemundo stations in California (Sacramento and Fresno notably) just introduced a shared 11pm local newscast. Phoenix and Tucson have always been a common local market in Spanish. NBCU recently expanded the coverage area of its Boston Telemundo newscast to all of New England and renamed the station Telemundo Nueva Inglaterra accordingly.

I wonder if that'll be a common thing for all Telemundo stations in terms of having regional news coverage in Spanish? Because it doesn't seem to be that bad of an idea for a regional news prescense for the Spanish-speaking audience

I wonder if that'll be a common thing for all Telemundo stations in terms of having regional news coverage in Spanish? Because it doesn't seem to be that bad of an idea for a regional news prescense for the Spanish-speaking audience

I think they will do that or preproduce newscasts for smaller ZGS markets they acquired. I completely understand their rebranding Telemundo Nuevo Inglaterra was good. Boston is Hispanic DMA 21 and Hartford (their other station for Nuevo Inglaterra + it’s repeater in Springfield) is DMA 29 and Springfield/Holyoke where the WDRM repeater is 64.

I think they will do that or preproduce newscasts for smaller ZGS markets they acquired. I completely understand their rebranding Telemundo Nuevo Inglaterra was good. Boston is Hispanic DMA 21 and Hartford (their other station for Nuevo Inglaterra + it’s repeater in Springfield) is DMA 29 and Springfield/Holyoke where the WDRM repeater is 64.

I wish more Telemundo (and Univsion) stations would do that in this country because not all DMAs have a Telemundo or a Univision affiliate and by having a regional prescense It'll help reach markets who are otherwise underserved due to lack of a Telemundo and/or Univision affiliations

I wish more Telemundo (and Univsion) stations would do that in this country because not all DMAs have a Telemundo or a Univision affiliate and by having a regional prescense It'll help reach markets who are otherwise underserved due to lack of a Telemundo and/or Univision affiliations

I do to. For eons we in Baltimore had access to DC’s Telemundo, Univision and UniMas through cable. However Telemundo 44 (WZDC) was removed for a sustaining feed of the network on Comcast Baltimore. Baltimore is Hispanic DMA 56 with about 46K Hispanic homes. I understand spectrums tight and there likely won’t be a station signing on or launching a subchannel but we have a decent cable penetration rate here. Plus Baltimore and DC are only 30-40 miles (depending on the route, closer than Dallas - Fort Worth and the Twin Cities) apart and they don’t need to station a reporter here when news occurs because they are so close. If they’re too lazy Univision can get content from CNN Newsource and Telemundo from NBC Newschannel (I think don’t content is embargoed between NBC and Telemundo stations even if they have different owners).

I do to. For eons we in Baltimore had access to DC’s Telemundo, Univision and UniMas through cable. However Telemundo 44 (WZDC) was removed for a sustaining feed of the network on Comcast Baltimore. Baltimore is Hispanic DMA 56 with about 46K Hispanic homes. I understand spectrums tight and there likely won’t be a station signing on or launching a subchannel but we have a decent cable penetration rate here. Plus Baltimore and DC are only 30-40 miles (depending on the route, closer than Dallas - Fort Worth and the Twin Cities) apart and they don’t need to station a reporter here when news occurs because they are so close. If they’re too lazy Univision can get content from CNN Newsource and Telemundo from NBC Newschannel (I think don’t content is embargoed between NBC and Telemundo stations even if they have different owners).

Too bad the Telemundo and Univision affiliates were removed because y'all deserve a newscast targeted for the hispanic audience in the DC/Baltimore area

Too bad the Telemundo and Univision affiliates were removed because y'all deserve a newscast targeted for the hispanic audience in the DC/Baltimore area

The Univision duopoly is still there for some reason. In SD but there.

The Univision duopoly is still there for some reason. In SD but there.

At least y'all have Univision despite not having Telemundo in the Baltimore area, hopefully NBC fixes that issue

At least y'all have Univision despite not having Telemundo in the Baltimore area, hopefully NBC fixes that issue

As far as I know NBCU still has to renegotiate like any other station group with Comcast for carriage/retransmission consent or the fact that it’s low power (even though Univision is as well). Perhaps that’s what’s going on but it’s not listed on Upcoming Contract Renewals. One difference is Univision is full power while Telemundo is low power. Although WFDC is owned by Univision it’s operated by Entravision and leaves a lot to be desired.

As far as I know NBCU still has to renegotiate like any other station group with Comcast for carriage/retransmission consent or the fact that it’s low power (even though Univision is as well). Perhaps that’s what’s going on but it’s not listed on Upcoming Contract Renewals. One difference is Univision is full power while Telemundo is low power. Although WFDC is owned by Univision it’s operated by Entravision and leaves a lot to be desired.

The only Spanish-speaking station I see on that list is KTMW in Salt Lake City (everyone else is an English-language station) I'll provide those updates on the retransmission stuff in the Retransmission Consent Squabbles thread

[quote name='oknewsguy']The only Spanish-speaking station I see on that list is KTMW in Salt Lake City (everyone else is an English-language station) I'll provide those updates on the retransmission stuff in the Retransmission Consent Squabbles thread[/QUOTE] I sent an email to WRC/WZDC’s GM, WZDC’s News Director and their director of community engagement. Sorry @Weeters for getting off topic.

Archived