WNBC's Live at 5 to end

NewsMan

What I'd said was that Chuck Solo's the 7PM and Chuck & Sue co-anchor the 11PM, which will be her only newscast of the day.

Oh ok, I understand now Newsman. Kinda sucks though how she is now doing only 1 newscast per day. I blame myself for staying up late this morning, lol, to not be able to understand. But again I still would like to see Sue also anchor the 7PM with Chuck.. But oh well, I guess its slow signs of the Chuck and Sue era finally starting to dwindle away to a slow end....We all knew it would happen some time. :'( Makes me wonder if Bill and Liz or Chris and Kristine can pull off such a legendary tenure as Chuck and Sue did.

-Vlad

So sad to see the great team of Chuck and Sue coming slowly to an end. WOuld Jim jump back to NBC 4?

The only one I can see doing that is Bill and Liz. And Jim and Dana. When WCBS had a competent 11PM news team, they fucked it up by putting Dana & Jim to read fluff shit at Noon and they putted Chris & Kristine to read hard news. Hard news is hard to read for Kristine.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I am shocked I wonder if it will be an NBC O&O change. I hope KNSD does not drop its 5pm news. I wonder if KNBC will attempt to do something like this. Could this be a cost cutting move related to the NBC 2.0?

I wonder about NBC O&Os that have 4pm newscasts (WRC, for example). If forced to add a 7pm newscast, would they be more inclined to drop the 5pm or would they add a 7pm in addition to everything else they have?

As for WNBC, I hope it works for them! And the thought of Sue only anchoring one newscast sickens me...why can't she do 7pm too?!

Their whole lineup is changing from morning to night...

What about the hourly updates? Good idea or bad idea? MY9 already kind of does something similar in the evenings, I see. CBS2 did hourly updates way back in the late 90's I believe or early 2000's.

Wow. I am shocked I wonder if it will be an NBC O&O change. I hope KNSD does not drop its 5pm news. I wonder if KNBC will attempt to do something like this. Could this be a cost cutting move related to the NBC 2.0?

I wonder about NBC O&Os that have 4pm newscasts (WRC, for example). If forced to add a 7pm newscast, would they be more inclined to drop the 5pm or would they add a 7pm in addition to everything else they have?

As for WNBC, I hope it works for them! And the thought of Sue only anchoring one newscast sickens me...why can't she do 7pm too?!

Maybe Chuck's contract specifies him anchoring solo :o and only 1 newscast with Sue.

Maybe Chuck's contract specifies him anchoring solo :o and only 1 newscast with Sue.

I seriously doubt Chuck is Jim Gardner, amra ::o. Plus he has probably been under a new contract for some time, so it could not say in his contract for Chuck to solo anchor if these are recent changes.

The coming to an end for wnbc evening newscasts. If Chuck and Sue still 2nd at 11pm which I still hope why not pair Sue with David at 6, Lynda and Chuck at 7. It seems to me viewers are not responding to Lynda and David at 5 so why move them to 6. The 6 pm newscast is going to tumble and all I know Sue is getting a raw deal from these changes.

What about the hourly updates? Good idea or bad idea? MY9 already kind of does something similar in the evenings, I see. CBS2 did hourly updates way back in the late 90's I believe or early 2000's.

I remember WNBC doing hourly updates back in the mid 90s. Chuck, or Jim Watkins, or Carol Jenkins did those updates. It was called "NewsChannel 4 on the Hour."

While the news is shocking, let's keep in mind that WNBC has been the trendsetter in scheduling local news in New York.

It wasn't too long ago when the morning newscasts began at 6:30 or 6:00 a.m. ... until WNBC pulled theirs back to start at 5:30 a.m., and then 5:00 a.m. All the others followed.

WNBC was also first to introduce an 11 p.m. news as well as the 6 p.m. news (which was one hour at the time, before ceding 30 minutes to the network for their national news.) WNBC was also first to present a 2-hour block of news in the early-evening. Again, all the others followed.

This is a smart move for WNBC. It may take some time to catch on, but I believe it will. (Personally, I like that WNBC is planning a hard-news 7 p.m. newscast with little or no weather and sports on most nights.) Viewing habits are changing and trust in local news is dwindling. A straightforward, hard newscast at a convenient time is exactly what New York needs. Hopefully the other stations will follow.

This much I know: It's the end of an era, and up there with the absorption of ABC Sports by ESPN in collective network stupidity.

RIP: Live at 5 (1980?-91; 1993-2007*)

*Maybe WNBC/NBC will get some sense and revive it in the future.

Guest zas1977

It's interesting to me how people are unabashedly brand loyal... "Live at 5", "ABC Sports"... So much heart goes into nostalgia, doesn't it?

From a business standpoint, this move makes sense. If your station is in second place and your ad revenues are at stake, you don't just sit there doing the same thing- You try new concepts, new positioning, and try to hook new and younger demographics. The goal is to build future brand loyalty while generating new revenue streams.

it has been done in the past. channel 11 had a 7:30pm newscast when it was the independent news channel. so it might work. i also think sue simmons is getting the raw end of the deal. unless she wanted to cut back on her work schedule.

Welcome to NBC 2.0. Feels like the evolution of another certain operating system, doesn't it? ;D

I have no doubt that corporate had some say in this. If this works, either here or in Miami, I'd look for the model to be tried out by other O&Os.

-T

WNYW also did a 7p newscast in the late '80s-early '90s...if the station were to do that again, do you think would it fare any better than the station's current 5p?

And I'll agree, Chuck and Sue at 7 and 11 would be much better. However, we don't know whether Sue's reduced air time was on her own terms or those of W/NBC; if it is the latter case, that's a major mistake.

Later evening newscasts are a must if local news wants to survive. You have to have people home in order to watch the news, and with daily traffic problems all over the country, it's difficult for many to make it home in time even for the 6 p.m. news. The 5 p.m. news has long been geared to the stay-at-home mom, but since more families, especially younger families in the desired advertising demos, are opting to have both parents work, how much longer can the older women business model be profitable?

Also, people are spending more hours at work now than in the past. Of course, this could also be a drawback of a later news since people come home even more tired, which means there's a better chance they would want to relax and ease the day's tension with entertainment rather than subject themselves to hard news. Oh, what am I thinking? We workaholics can take 30 more minutes of seriousness once we get home, and besides, Anheuser-Busch always loves to have more business. So yeah...a switchover to a later news block will still be forced to happen in time.

You make very valid points, however all networks tout their websites. So if you work late and you really want to know what's going on, just go to wnbc.com if you are that interested. It's probably much faster than waiting for the stories on television.

Congratulations WNBC for finally giving WCBS the opportunity to overtake you in second place for news in New York.

Stupid move on their part to eliminate LIve at Five. Now, WNBC will not have any news at 5, so viewers will have either 2, 5 or 7 as an option. (News 4 You, of course, is not hard news but features, not to mention annoying.)

WNBC did have hourly updates in the early 90s, started immediately after Operation Dessert Storm. I still remember Pat Harper doing them.

While WNBC was my favorite station for news since I was in high school, I am not happy with these changes and will look elsewhere for news. First dropping Sue from the 5 o'cklock and now only having her on at 11? Please.

WNBC is not necessarily a trendsetter in local news. They were the last to chop their 6 o'cklock news from an hour to 1/2 hour (back in 1992) and air the network news live at 6:30.

Once again, congrats WNBC for giving WCBS the opportunity to overtake you for second place in news. They have already surpassed WNBC at 5, and will do so even more solidly now. Whoever posted that viewers dont take to the Ushery/Baquero combo, in my opinion, is correct. WNBC will languish at 6 as well I believe. And I believe once people (like me) choose a new news product, they will stick with it at 11. WNBC will languish in the ratings basement as WCBS has for the past 17 years.

Congratulations WNBC for finally giving WCBS the opportunity to overtake you in second place for news in New York.

Stupid move on their part to eliminate LIve at Five. Now, WNBC will not have any news at 5, so viewers will have either 2, 5 or 7 as an option. (News 4 You, of course, is not hard news but features, not to mention annoying.)

WNBC did have hourly updates in the early 90s, started immediately after Operation Dessert Storm. I still remember Pat Harper doing them.

While WNBC was my favorite station for news since I was in high school, I am not happy with these changes and will look elsewhere for news. First dropping Sue from the 5 o'cklock and now only having her on at 11? Please.

WNBC is not necessarily a trendsetter in local news. They were the last to chop their 6 o'cklock news from an hour to 1/2 hour (back in 1992) and air the network news live at 6:30.

Once again, congrats WNBC for giving WCBS the opportunity to overtake you for second place in news. They have already surpassed WNBC at 5, and will do so even more solidly now. Whoever posted that viewers dont take to the Ushery/Baquero combo, in my opinion, is correct. WNBC will languish at 6 as well I believe. And I believe once people (like me) choose a new news product, they will stick with it at 11. WNBC will languish in the ratings basement as WCBS has for the past 17 years.

I partly agree. If The Channel 4 News at 7 gets to be a hit, WeCrappyBroadcastShit would get fucked up even more. I hope the viewership from WNBC switches to WABC, I don't want the great (NOT) A Team of WeCrappyBroadcastShit of Chris and I Kan't Read Johnson to be more overly promoted as the second coming of God and the best thing since sliced bread and jetBlue. About Sue, it's sad. I dare to say that WCBS might hire her if she is dropped out of WNBC. WCBS needs to stay at the basement for being idiots and putting a former fluffy shit / sports anchor and a analphabet to anchor the once proud Ch. 2 News at 11. If Jim & Dana were anchoring together at 11, then WNBC would be on a tougher situation. So, a great change in time for September sweeps, we have to cut some slack at The Channel 4 News at 7 and see if changes are coming to other stations. IF and it's a big IF, WABC decides to put together a 7PM newscast, then Oprah would be on at 6.

Hey, I'm not a program director. If it works, then kudos to them. I do respect them for taking a risk. I do think it's a big risk, but you have to take those kinds of risks sometimes when your original plan does not work.

So while I don't think it's a GREAT idea, it might be surprising to me.

I have a completly random question related to timing of the NBC nightly news. In DC, the local NBC shows the nightly news at 6pm, and local at 6:30, so how is the news live, or prerecorded?

that is totally wierd.

here in indy, it's on at 6:30, and were on the same time right?

I have a completly random question related to timing of the NBC nightly news. In DC, the local NBC shows the nightly news at 6pm, and local at 6:30, so how is the news live, or prerecorded?

No, no they don't.

To answer your question, though, I'd imagine that WRC local is live and Williams is on tape.

Check your TV listings. WRC-TV/NBC4 Wahsington, D.C., airs three hours of local news beginning at 4 p.m. and that's followed by "Nightly News" at 7 p.m. In this case, "Nightly News" is mostly pre-recorded in D.C., however, all three networks offer a 7 p.m. Eastern feed that corrects any mistakes and also updates any breaking stories that either aired during or didn't make the 6:30 p.m. live broadcast.

Its a change that we'll have to live with, the only disadvantage is that there is even a larger gap in between newscasts now in WNBC, from 5-7 AM to 6PM is a really huge gap. I personally don't favor the move, but it is a different scenario now, because WNBC will be the only station in New York to have a 7PM broadcast, so it will help them a lot with ratings, but then again, will it steal viewers away from Channel 7's long running Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune? I doubt so, but loyal WNBC fans have a new choice. With this change though, I believe WNBC should return with a Noon broadcast, because Today in New York and NewsChannel 4 at 6 is a huge gap. But then again, with technology as advanced as it is, viewers can easilly visit WNBC.com to view the news. But I really hope they can bring back the Noon broadcast as the iVillage show is pretty much junk in the making in my opinion...

-Vlad

Archived