Out & About

TexasTVNews

New Retrans Fight!!!!: And this is already a battle between Disney & Dish Network.

The Daily Variety states, if there's no deal by September 30, there will be no ABC in eight markets, ESPN, Disney Channel and other cable networks.

Disney is one of the broadcasters has already filed a lawsuit against Dish for its Ad-skipping DVR service Hopper.

Back to San Diego, lots of moving and shaking with syndicated tv shows in the market.

KGTV 10 (ABC): has picked up LIVE with Kelly and Michael, it will air at 9am after GMA starting 9/2. The show moves over from KFMB 8 (CBS) were it has aired for the past two years. Also, Right This Minute, which currently airs at 9am will move to 4pm also on 9/2 and occupy the slot being occupied by Katie. No word on what happens to the Katie show, if it has been dropped or moved to another timeslot.

Back to San Diego, lots of moving and shaking with syndicated tv shows in the market.

KGTV 10 (ABC): has picked up LIVE with Kelly and Michael, it will air at 9am after GMA starting 9/2. The show moves over from KFMB 8 (CBS) were it has aired for the past two years. Also, Right This Minute, which currently airs at 9am will move to 4pm also on 9/2 and occupy the slot being occupied by Katie. No word on what happens to the Katie show, if it has been dropped or moved to another timeslot.

A Scripps station actually investing in outside syndicated product? Call me surprised! However, watch their 5pm numbers drop sharply with "RTM" as a lead-in.

My guess: "Katie" will be bumped to 3pm if "The Doctors" or "Rachael Ray" (both CBS Television Distribution shows) go away.

A Scripps station actually investing in outside syndicated product? Call me surprised! However, watch their 5pm numbers drop sharply with "RTM" as a lead-in.

My guess: "Katie" will be bumped to 3pm if "The Doctors" or "Rachael Ray" (both CBS Television Distribution shows) go away.

Hard to say what happens to Katie, since I have yet to see any promos touting a timeslot change. WFAA did drop the show, so KGTV could also do the same...

Hard to say what happens to Katie, since I have yet to see any promos touting a timeslot change. WFAA did drop the show, so KGTV could also do the same...

Not sure where you read that WFAA dropped the show. They're just moving it to 3pm.

Not sure where you read that WFAA dropped the show. They're just moving it to 3pm.

Ahh well my mistake then. I thought I read somewhere that the Katie show was up in the air with the new 4pm newscast premiering on WFAA. I could have also been a rumor that stations were looking to drop the show in the second season.

The changes I know of here in Charlotte:

Queen Latifah replaces Rachael Ray on WBTV, which moves to WJZY. Queen will almost certainly be at 10, barring a time change for America Now or Let's Make a Deal. Not sure what time Rachael will be aired on WJZY.

Bethanny will be on WCCB. It could take Anderson's time slot at 4. (This could have been on WJZY but I imagine WCCB already had the rights before Fox's purchase of WJZY was announced).

WJZY gets Modern Family, it will on at 7 and 7:30, replacing Two and a Half Men. Not sure of Two and a Half Men's new time.

WMYT will air "Community" at midnight and 12:30 weeknights. It replaces The Cosby Show and American Dad.

WAXN will replace Jeff Probst with "The Test" at 11 am. The Middle replaces Meet the Browns at 7 and 7:30. And Arsenio Hall replaces Access Hollywood and OMG Insider at 11 pm. Not sure of the new time slots for Meet the Browns, Access Hollywood and OMG Insider.

Looking ahead to 2014, WJZY picks up Dr. Oz from WSOC. Wendy Williams will be on WSOC sometime, not sure when. Its sister WAXN currently airs her and they could share her.

In September, WFRV will be debuting a new morning program. Local 5 Live will feature discussion about the day's stories, as well as events in the area. By the looks of it, it'll be their answer to WTMJ's Morning Blend program. Former WFRV anchor Lisa Malak will be returning to co-host the show with meteorologist Justin Steinbrinck. The show will replace "Live with Kelly and Michael", which will be moving to WLUK after many years on WFRV.

Is it me, or does the logo look way too early 90s? Kind of sensing a J. C. Burns influence in it.....

Here some things happening lately in the wonderful world of local news (all courtesy TvSpy):

WFOR's newly hired Rick Folbaum will be taking the 5pm and 11pm newscasts, while Eliott Rodriguez will be anchoring at noon and six. No word on who eithers co-anchors will be, if any.

WISH gets a new assistant ND.

And, the big story (surprised no one else has brought this one up, this one's from FTVLive): http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2013/8/16/weatherman-sues-la-station-over-hiring-hotties

You like that WFRV logo... Arial. Please. I do see where a certain J.C.'s style can show through (he seems to be retired, for what it's worth). But it's not him. Reminds me of the stations that aped TVbD in the late 80s and early 90s, like KAIT and WCJB.

On the KYMA/KSWT watch, the unemployment numbers for July in Yuma County came in. 34.5%. That's more than four times the unemployment rate of Arizona, at 8%. In June, Yuma and El Centro were the two metro areas in the country with the highest unemployment rates. With unemployment rates like these, that failing station waiver has all the reason in the world to exist.

In September, WFRV will be debuting a new morning program. Local 5 Live will feature discussion about the day's stories, as well as events in the area. By the looks of it, it'll be their answer to WTMJ's Morning Blend program. Former WFRV anchor Lisa Malak will be returning to co-host the show with meteorologist Justin Steinbrinck. The show will replace "Live with Kelly and Michael", which will be moving to WLUK after many years on WFRV.

Is it me, or does the logo look way too early 90s? Kind of sensing a J. C. Burns influence in it.....

On a side note, with WATN getting ready to start their own infotainment show, I have a feeling it will follow this model closely. Even backs up the speculation of a 9 AM slot replacing Live with Kelly and Michael (maybe Nexstar is getting stations to dump that?)

Can someone tell me if this is a lot? KSHB currently has seventeen job openings.

It's a significant amount. But how many are real? I've worked at stations where the ND would post job announcements with no actual openings, just to get resumes and tapes on file for the next legitimate opening.

It's a significant amount. But how many are real? I've worked at stations where the ND would post job announcements with no actual openings, just to get resumes and tapes on file for the next legitimate opening.

1 summer 2013 intern, anchor/mmj, digital account executive, director of new media, executive producer, investigative photographer, meteorologist, mmj, news producer, production technician I, web producer

2 sports reporter/anchor

4 account executive

But given that this is KSHB, the station that took almost six months to find a replacement GM, ND and 6pm anchor, as well as around 4 months or so to find a new meteorologist, it wouldn't surprise me if all of these are real. They also just lost a sports man. I read (from a somewhat unreliable source) that their EP just got fired.

Also, Brian Bracco is trying hard to tactfully purge that station while also getting people to stay there.