NewsChannel4 to Return to 5pm

Geoffrey

In this morning's Daily News:

WNBC update at 5

WNBC/Ch. 4, which has taken a beating in the Nielsen department with its evening news lineup, is switching the shows yet again.

In a reversal of thinking, "Extra," now on at 5 p.m., will flip time periods with the station's 5:30 p.m. newscast on Jan. 2, Dan Forman, senior vice president of news, confirmed.

"We tried something different, but found that the available audience had a habit for news at 5 p.m., and we're going to serve that need," Forman said in an e-mail.

How many times are they going to change what's going on over there? And how much longer until they return to a full 90-minute local news block?

How many times are they going to change what's going on over there? And how much longer until they return to a full 90-minute local news block?

Ahhh yes, I see the whole 90 minutes coming back sooner or later.

What's worse... WNBC tinkering with how many newscasts they have and when they'll air? Or WCBS' neverending tinkering of their anchor lineup?

Will the broadcast be called "Live at 5"? I think it should. Seems to be good news. But they still need a good lead into the 5pm show. Now that the competition is back, i wonder how will WCBS do at 5pm. I think they might loose some viewers but they will still be second. It's going to take time for people to change their viewing habits again.

Any word on who is going to anchor the 5pm newscast?

More than likely the current NewsChannel 4 at 5:30PM anchors will simply switch to the 5:00PM broadcast in January 2. I believe it's Sue Simmons and Michael Gargiullo who anchor the 5:30PM broadcast, so they'll probably move to the 5:00PM broadcast. I think they should rename it as "Live at 5:00PM" even though its not the old true format, the name just sounds more catchy and familiar. And I believe it could lure some new viewers in.

I also believe they should move Extra back to 4:00PM and keep Access Hollywood on at 4:30PM, then they could move the game show Crosswords to 7:30PM and then keep the news up to an hour long. 5:00PM - 7:30PM with only news. Here is the best afternoon schedule that could work for them:

4:00PM - Extra

4:30PM - Access Hollywood

5:00PM - NewsChannel 4 Live at Five (In Its ORIGINAL FORMAT) (Interviews with Guests, More Entertainment, Less News)

6:00PM - NewsChannel 4 at 6:00PM

6:30PM - NBC Nightly News

7:00PM - New York Nightly News

7:30PM - Crosswords

8:00PM - NBC Programming (They Need BETTER Programming)

11:00PM - NewsChannel 4 at 11:00PM

WNBC's News Product is truly the best in our area. They have the best set, the music score well suited for the Classy Feel of New York. So the news department is not to blame, that is fine. Unfortunately its the programming that's killing them. They just have nothing thats really interesting. NBC is also part to blame too because their shows and programming is just lousy, they need better programming that will lure viewers. I have yet to have been interested in any of the shows that NBC offers, because they are just too boring or just not entertaining, the only show I like on that network is Heroes. So they need to revamp their programming and make it interesting to viewers because its the lead in and programming that the network and station offers that lure viewers and keep them in until the news starts.

Any word on who is going to anchor the 5pm newscast?

More than likely the current NewsChannel 4 at 5:30PM anchors will simply switch to the 5:00PM broadcast in January 2. I believe it's Sue Simmons and Michael Gargiullo who anchor the 5:30PM broadcast, so they'll probably move to the 5:00PM broadcast. I think they should rename it as "Live at 5:00PM" even though its not the old true format, the name just sounds more catchy and familiar. And I believe it could lure some new viewers in.

I also believe they should move Extra back to 4:00PM and keep Access Hollywood on at 4:30PM, then they could move the game show Crosswords to 7:30PM and then keep the news up to an hour long. 5:00PM - 7:30PM with only news. Here is the best afternoon schedule that could work for them:

4:00PM - Extra

4:30PM - Access Hollywood

5:00PM - NewsChannel 4 Live at Five

6:00PM - NewsChannel 4 at 6:00PM

6:30PM - NBC Nightly News

7:00PM - New York Nightly News

7:30PM - Crosswords

8:00PM - NBC Programming (They Need BETTER Programming)

11:00PM - NewsChannel 4 at 11:00PM

NBC is also part to blame too because their shows and programming is just lousy, they need better programming that will lure viewers. I have never been interested in any of the shows that NBC offers, because they are just too boring or just not entertaining, the only show I like on that network is Heroes. So they need to revamp their programming and make it interesting to viewers because its the lead in and programming that the network and station offers that lure viewers and keep them in untill the news starts.

We have to thank NBC 2.0 budget cuts. WNBC should stop shitting with the schedules, and let a powerful 120 minutes of news programming, serving ALL of the viewers!

NBC really doesn't have the best newsroom. With this weeks blunder with the Steroid story and toss in their cable effort, they have issues. They could do better with that budget.

With an ever-shrinking budget?

NBC really doesn't have the best newsroom. With this weeks blunder with the Steroid story and toss in their cable effort, they have issues. They could do better with that budget.

With an ever-shrinking budget?

With 2 and 7 not having a cable channel to help fill in the news gaps, NBC should be right in the race. NBC is just poorly run. No wonder there's always a rumor of shutting down or selling their cable network.

MSNBC isn't using their studios from 5-7 (Hardball and Tucker come from Washington).

Why doesn't NBC4 use that set(s)?

Just because a set is not in use for that time slot does not mean it is not being used for other purposes, like setting up for the next show, working on new camera angles, shooting pilots, etc. It is actually quite difficult to use that set for local purposes. While MSNBC and WNBC are owned by the same company it takes a lot for them to work together, other than on prearranged items. The crossover things you usually see comes from Newschannel acting as a middle person.

Anyway back to the topic of returning to 5pm (hint hint away from the how many people know about UHF 56) NBC has not finished 2.0-ing (yes it is being used as a verb now) staff and costs, yet. Also, it is unlikely Crossroads will go at 7:30 since Wheel of Fortune is such a powerhouse. Crossroads needs to first prove itself and then it can go up against the big Wheel. 7-8 is a MAJOR spot that only the East and West coasts get. It is essentially primetime for local stations, and WNBC cannot afford (literally) to put a new weeker show at that time. Central, Mountain, and Hawaii do not get this time since it is the start of their primetime. Certain syndicated shows are tough to compete with (Oprah, Wheel of Fortune, etc). Access and Extra stand much better going against Insider and ET since they compete for the same viewers. Together they also stand to take away from Jeopardy and Wheel since another game show would not do well against Wheel.

WNBC has been known as the news station for a while now, it takes a long time for a station to instantly loose steam with viewers. Houdini mentioned that they blundered on the Steroids story, true, but look at the overall picture. WCBS once enjoyed ratings success and over time has grown to be a solid number 3, but is now gaining steam. WNBC suffered major losses in ratings this sweeps, but if it can stop the bleeding now there is a chance of redemption by February or May. If it is unable to, then.... they have a real problem on their hands. Typically news stations have 1 failure and must make up for it by the next ratings period or else it will take twice as long to earn viewers back. And earning is harder than keeping (nudge nudge at WABC)

As for the comments about WNBC being less than a small market station....NBC is concerned about one thing...Money. News is a valuable money maker and when it's not it can go too. Look at KDNL in St. Louis (ABC affiliate). News was not profitable and they shut it down in favor of syndicated programming. Some markets find a news block from 4-8 profitable, others don't. New York is not one to enjoy massive news blocks, but instead is more traditional. WCBS failed at CBS 2 News at 4. Even WNBC admitted it when they announced returning to news at 5. Now, I agree WNBC should air news from 5-7:30, keeping NY Nightly for now. BUT it is a careful process not to loose loyal news viewers. It will be interesting to see where we find ourselves a few sweeps periods from now. WNBC better be cooking up some good plans for February.

Archived