KNBC New Hi-Def Set

CalItalian2

Just this morning on Today In LA Weekend, forecaster Carl Bell said (word by word):

"You know guys, we should let our viewers know this morning that and give a moment of silence to that this is our last broadcast from this set. Were moving to the newsroom and we'll be back here after a few months, and I don't know... Well, I think we should let them know. Were going High-Def in a whole new fancy home!"

They then started clapping and after about 5 seconds, Carl went ahead with his weather report. I wonder what the set will look like and what graphics they will be using?

I'm just REALLY glad they are making this change after so long! What is weird though is he said "this will be our last morning low-def broadcast". Also, he keeps saying that this will be our "last low-def" this and that. But then he said a few months? Oh well. At least they are going High Definition soon!

Just this morning on Today In LA Weekend, forecaster Carl Bell said (word by word):

"You know guys, we should let our viewers know this morning that and give a moment of silence to that this is our last broadcast from this set. Were moving to the newsroom and we'll be back here after a few months, and I don't know... Well, I think we should let them know. Were going High-Def in a whole new fancy home!"

They then started clapping and after about 5 seconds, Carl went ahead with his weather report. I wonder what the set will look like and what graphics they will be using?

I'm just REALLY glad they are making this change after so long! What is weird though is he said "this will be our last morning low-def broadcast". Also, he keeps saying that this will be our "last low-def" this and that. But then he said a few months? Oh well. At least they are going High Definition soon!

Why did you make a separate thread for this? This is now the *third* thread being merged into the *existing* thread about this topic.

Vexing is that this is now the second time you've started a separate thread.

ETA: No, wait. You made a complete duplicate of your original thread. Please, stop.

ETA2: Just saw your question. CalItalian's post hit the system first, making his post the original on the matter. Just because you didn't get first doesn't mean you can start what amounts to spamming the board.

Well they are doing the 5pm newscast from the newsroom. Yeah. Wonder why they got rid of the big plasma tv from the newsroom. Anyone else notice the newsroom set is a lot brighter?

I'm glad they are finally upgrading to a HD Newscast. The way NBC kept putting this off, I thought they were going to wait until KNBC moved from Burbank to Universal City in 2011.

Little off topic.: A week or so ago, I was watching Good Day LA while getting ready for work, and Jillian, Dorothy & Tony (filling in for Steve) said they were getting a new set this year. They didn't say anything about going HD, just a new set.

The lighting is a bit different, and they did sports from the virtual set at the green screen. I heard the green screen there is directly next to the newsroom set, but still in the newsroom. It made me think where they are going to do YourLA from. They normally do it from the set, but now that will be different.

This is great news for 4.....I anticipate that HD will probably kick in during the Olympics.

As for KTTV....well it's about time they got a new set, seeing as how they've used the same one since 2000, and is now very outdated. Should they go HD as well, this will be great!

• 2 weeks later...

The stations are now racing to build new HD sets because of FCC mandate of February 2009 to convert to High Definition production and transmission of programs. You will see more stations rushing to build new facilities, install new equipment and studio sets. Basically putting off what should have done a few years ago; in essence they are making up for lost time.

The stations are now racing to build new HD sets because of FCC mandate of February 2009 to convert to High Definition production and transmission of programs. You will see more stations rushing to build new facilities, install new equipment and studio sets. Basically putting off what should have done a few years ago; in essence they are making up for lost time.

No sir. Please read this thread.

There is no rush to get newscasts to be in high def before 2/09 because of the FCC mandate.

Stations must be broadcasting a digital OTA signal but do not have to have HD local news. Do not be surprised if you see stations without HD local news well after 2/09.

I think this is mostly major market stations who have the budget for it. I know the small (100 and below) market stations might have to put it off for a while because HD sets and control rooms are pretty expensive.

You mean the FCC mandate of Digital Television?

before anyone else get hurt feeling

Mr. Lampstein is right but the guy is right also right let me explain before before anyone start. David is dead on about 2/19/08 The date is the switch to Digital TV when all Analog broadcast will end.

But inside the Industry, they are pushing to upgrade to the highest standard of Digital TV, HDTV why? because stations want to take full advance of the new standard. I will like to note smaller sub 100 markets for them to go HD won't be financially possible now but as price drop on the equipment in the future don't be surprise to see smaller station go HD. But to repeat David is right about the Switch but the guy is right also what bigger station are doing to prepare for DTV

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6546067.html

before anyone else get hurt feeling

Mr. Lampstein is right but the guy is right also right let me explain before before anyone start. David is dead on about 2/19/08 The date is the switch to Digital TV when all Analog broadcast will end.

But inside the Industry, they are pushing to upgrade to the highest standard of Digital TV, HDTV why? because stations want to take full advance of the new standard. I will like to note smaller sub 100 markets for them to go HD won't be financially possible now but as price drop on the equipment in the future don't be surprise to see smaller station go HD. But to repeat David is right about the Switch but the guy is right also what bigger station are doing to prepare for DTV

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6546067.html

Oh, I do not dispute that there is a race to go HD in the larger markets -- but it's not a race against the Feb 09 deadline, but a race against each other to be the first or the best.

Umm can you two read Mr. Lampstein's post above? Geez brain damaged children should not be posting on the internets.

My internet browser did not display his post, so I guess I am still brain damaged..

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture i took of the new set. Click on "San Gabriel Mountain Fire Increases" in the video section to see the set. IMO, it has to be the best set in LA, even the country.

57597153_KNBCNewSet.jpg.5e5bf9b1b151fd7f3047c7a171662172.jpg

It's a nice new set, but it's quite bright. They also upgraded their weather center and sports desk. Carl Bell said they'd be HD shortly by the end of the summer though. I'm just surprised that they are not "hyping-up" their new set like other stations did.

They've made a few mistakes though already. In one section, their screen on their desk was showing the view from one of their other cameras moving around. Also, behind their glazed glass thing, a few of the monitors were flashing "no input".

I think the new set came in a little too early, considering that they have yet to unveil HD, but we've all be thinking, wait until the summer, so we wait, and we wait. Nevertheless, at least they didn't try to knock off the CBS duopoly and KABC with a videoboard set, save for the Plasma desk.

Nevertheless a great set, very 1996-97-esque, but great!

Archived