You want to fix NBC 4..Follow this lead

shorewx

If WNBC wants to dominate NYC like it did in the past they need to fix the place up. I know some will argue that their set is the best looking in NYC and it shouldn’t change, well it doesn't work. The set is not hip and with its church music package it just comes off flat and boring.

1st: My proposal would be to completely gut their current set and change it to more of what WESH-TV currently has. There is so much space in WNBC’s studio that they could pull off something that NBC 2 WESH-TV has. WESH's set is not too (fruity Florida) for NYC. Of course some changes would have to be put in.

http://www.fxgroup.tv/portfolio/wesh/ LOOK FOR YOURSELF!

2nd would be their music! WNBC’s current package is so boring, that I turn the channel.

How about KNBC's version with a harder edge to it.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/

Seriously though which one excites and keeps the viewer on the station:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nLT7Dm-NIGA&feature=related

(the chimes alone would attract)

OR

(BORING)

3rd: Success was met with NBC 4' Weather Team. Get rid of mosley, Cimino, and sorry Janice Huff! They just do not seem into it anymore! Put a team together that focuses on an expert “old timer” around middle aged meteorologists. You don't need lonnie quinn or sam champion..you just need some charisma. Please No blonds with nothing in their head. Suggestion: Joe Cioffi, John Marshell, 2 out of towners

4th: Make Doppler 4000+HD or STORM SCAN 4000 some BS product out of WSI’s weather system company. Promote the amazing definition and accuracy. Remember Doppler 4000's success in the 90's. Hello! DO not make mega million 4000+ or Storm Guardian. Doppler 4000 with an edge is suffice.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v11537807mcJh59p

(the best promo ever)

5th: Chopper 4. Make it amazing

It truly is the little things that make great news cast. Reporters and Anchors are only as good as their products are.

Imagewise, I would hardly change anything... I'd bring back the talent intros. Overall, their image works. I'm glad to see the return of "News 4 New York," "NewsChannel 4" is starting to sound dated. Set's awesome. Graphics, for the most part, are beautiful.

I couldn't help you on the talent side, since all I know is pretty much Chuck and Sue... you'd have to leave it up to a New Yorker for that.

Nathan, I mean, some elements of the graphics are really nice, but they are pretty dull in most instances. The sets are suitable, but they've been around for 5 years or so, so even though they are nice, the sets are overall stale.

I wouldn't change the image and set. The graphics and music best suits the station well. I wouldn't like them to follow the other O&Os with those boring ass Arthouse graphics & The Tower (even though I love the Tower).

And I second what Nathan said. I wouldn't touch the talent much. I would like to see bringing back 'Live @ Five' to a full hour and place 'Extra' at 4:30 (if NY Nightly News continues their success). I'm happy they'd resurrected 'News 4 New York' for their news but dropping 'NBC 4' for '4 New York' on their on-air branding, I have some mixed feelings.

honestly though.. Watch the 1996 promo's of doppler and chopper's. They make it seem like you will die if you don't tune into these two. They even say..Don't Go to bed without check doppler 4000. A statistic like 50,000 times stronger than average radar system's was used. It maybe over the top..but this is what entices viewers to watch!

FROM THE NY TIMES IN 1998

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940CE2D81039F935A15754C0A96E958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Then there is Doppler 4000, which can show weather happening live, unlike most radar systems, which have a delay of a few minutes. Channel 4 promoted it relentlessly during broadcasts of the 1996 Olympics, until viewers complained furiously.

''We ran this three and a half minute promo,'' said Mr. Roker, who was in Atlanta for the Olympics at the time. ''I had no idea how much the promo was running until my wife called me. Then we ran a promo that said we will not run the promo.''

honestly though.. Watch the 1996 promo's of doppler and chopper's. They make it seem like you will die if you don't tune into these two. They even say..Don't Go to bed without check doppler 4000. A statistic like 50,000 times stronger than average radar system's was used. It maybe over the top..but this is what entices viewers to watch!

You must know nothing about television promotion. These are the kinds of promos that make viewers hate the local news. Well-produced, yes, but... "with Doppler 4000, we can save lives!"? Come on!

Anyway, I do agree that it is a little stale... maybe refresh it a bit, but not too much. Keep the same style.

The sets fine (the average viewer could care less), get Edd Kalehoff to do some new music based on the We're 4 New York signature (and record it with a real live orchestra) to better reinforce the branding identity, Live at Five needs to be like the classic Live at Five (in both content and length), keep New York Nightly News, freshen the graphics (maybe do a modern take on the 80s opens with the bolts of lightning and Statue of Liberty), and focus on core competencies like political and and investigative reporting.

Viewers are going to see through Weathergizmo 4 Billion. Just look at the punchline WCBS had with Doppler 2 Million. People (other than weather obsessed nutters) want a forecast that is short, simple, to the point and will tell them how to plan for tomorrow. Wasting money on gizmos is not going to to that.

Don't forget about 99.999999% of viewers are not TV news anoraks.

This is how they should do their schedule until Fall 08:

11a- Open House NYC

11:30a-LX.TV 1stLook NY

Noon- Martha

1p- Days of Our Lives

2p- Judge Joe Brown

3p- Ellen

4p- Merv Griffin's Crosswords

4:30p- Extra

5p- Live at 5

6p- News 4 New York at 6

6:30p- NBC Nighty News

7p- New York Nighty News

7:30p- Access Hollywood

They should upgrade Doppler 4000 to HD.

Wait...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't WNBC's set still the best in NYC?

That's what I've been told.

It is the best set in the New York Market. And I don't see anything wrong with it. They had it for five years and no other station has been able to match the astonishing looks of that gorgeous set of theirs. WNBC-TV in my opinion is fine presentation wise. Their music is perfect for the city. The Nightly News Set could be tweaked a little but other than that, I think its fine. Its their network programming that's kinda hurting them because the network has the poorest ratings out of all of the networks. The network needs to find some new innovative shows that will attract viewers, and thus help them out a bit. They should bring back Live at 5 to the style it was back in the 1980s. That will garner a lot of ratings and may significantly help them out. They should also get Rampage to compose more music for them, they seem to have ran of cuts, lol. But other than that, I think they are fine. Janice Huff is amazing, I think she should remain where she is. The weather personnel at the station is pretty good. Talentwise, I think its fine too, Chuck and Sue are quite an amazing and have been recognizable in New York for decades. Presentation and graphics are nice too, not too plain and not too subtle. The only thing that I think they should bring are the talent intros and a less plain intro, show the city or something. But other than that, they are fine.

The changes mentioned in the first point are a little things that are perfect for around here. The current studio is perfect to me, although I'd like to see a better screen wall for NYNN. The last thing I want to see is a LCD screen on the desk. The music package suits the station, all that's missing is the talent intros, without them, you don't get the full feeling of the music. As for the weather department, I agree, Mosey must go, but John Marshall as lead? That's a bit much. Janice is a pro, and Chris fits well with the morning team.

Remember...Everything that NBC4 has right now just doesn't work hence the decline for the last several years. I understand the 2.0 cuts had something to do with it but the overall format, news content, and the way the viewer views this station all flat out suck. You need to be bolder and be known for something other than chuck and sue. Guys, there's life after these two people!

Wait...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't WNBC's set still the best in NYC?

That's what I've been told.

It is the best set in the market, but overall, with the bright studio lights, the RP looks very faded.

WNBC is fine as is. The set is the only one in NYC that has flasing lights, waving flags, cars and trucks driving around and the ferry's on the water, with the reflection of the skyline on the water. I think you just hate WNBC because of their consistency.

Here is my suggestion to fix their daytime schedule:

11:00: Ellen

12:00: Bonnie Hunt

1:00: Martha

2:00: Days of Our Lives

3:00: Judge Joe Brown

4:00: Extra

4:30: Deal or No Deal

5:00: Live at Five

6:00: 4 NY at 6

6:30: NBC Nightly News

7:00: NY Nightly News