KNBC NEWS to go HD at the end of June (allegedly)

cjm5150

I emailed KNBC asking when they were planning to switch to HD and I got this response.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your note. Our rebuild is almost complete and we expect to be able to broadcast in HD by the end of next month.

Best regards,

Bob Long

News Director

I emailed KNBC asking when they were planning to switch to HD and I got this response.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your note. Our rebuild is almost complete and we expect to be able to broadcast in HD by the end of next month.

Best regards,

Bob Long

News Director

Finally. About time they got their stuff together. Too bad that down south, KNSD is just starting to plan for HD news. Their news director told me that there is no timetable for KNSD to broadcast news in HD. So I applaud KNBC for finally making progress.

FOX 11 in HD...hmm.....no one's even talking about it!

Also, the job's only for the summer (internship)...one of my few exploratory vacation vocations, we'll see where it goes.

FOX 11 in HD...hmm.....no one's even talking about it!

Also, the job's only for the summer (internship)...one of my few exploratory vacation vocations, we'll see where it goes.

As of now, FOX has not announced any plans for any of its O&Os to go HD. Perhaps they'll probably transition for Fall 2008, but there is still no announcement.

As of now, FOX has not announced any plans for any of its O&Os to go HD. Perhaps they'll probably transition for Fall 2008, but there is still no announcement.

The only two FOX O&Os that are currently in HD and won't be affected by the Local TV deal is WTXF & WJBK. I won't be shocked if KTTV goes HD after WNYW & WFLD does.

• 2 weeks later...

Just this morning, I saw KNBC using a new bug and and HD shot. The bug still had their website, logo, temperature and time, but it was a little transparent and had nicer colors.

Also, during the traffic and weather during the morning today show break-in, they were shooting in HD and full widescreen. Their graphics were also widescreen but they said nothing about any changes.

Just this morning, I saw KNBC using a new bug and and HD shot. The bug still had their website, logo, temperature and time, but it was a little transparent and had nicer colors.

Also, during the traffic and weather during the morning today show break-in, they were shooting in HD and full widescreen. Their graphics were also widescreen but they said nothing about any changes.

They are still probably testing out the new system. Today during the Today Show breaks they were actually using the 4HD bugs.

Sorry for the crappy pictures (with camera). I do not have a capture card in my mac.

dsc01289fe9.th.jpg

dsc01290os1.th.jpg

dsc01291dd6.th.jpg

No, they haven't actually put this into place. The Today Show break-ins are the only time you see those. The newscast graphics still stay the exact same. Also, I'm forgetting what they are called, but in the image above where you see John doing a non-widescreen report, the side clippings are different than the ones they showed the other day, which looked almost WNBC-style.

The HD pictures look really nice. The bug looks great, and it really does look WNBC-like. Can't wait to see the full-blown HD graphics. I wonder if KNBC will have HD weather radar and an HD helicopter, too.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like they just got new HD weather graphics, although they're not showing them in HD. Same with traffic. Traffic mainly stayed the same, but the WX+ graphics changed a lot.

They got a nice new forecast, but their "Today's Temperatures" outlook looks pretty bad. The temperatures are in these huge blue boxes, and look quite bad. You can barely see the land in the background too.

Other than that, they've had A LOT of bad errors lately. They are all technology too. Things like reports stopping suddenly, graphics flashing or dissapearing.

This stuff looks more suited for Miami or Honolulu. I bet WTVJ will pick this up.

I would love to see it in action though, and I know KNBC has been hard at work preparing for the change to HD. I recall seeing the new graphics being tested here at work. Though I cannot estimate when it all kicks in.

But doesn't the post from their news director say "at the end of June"??? I know it could be delayed because of problems with the setup, but still, it says the end of this month.

Archived