Superstation WGN is now...

Guest Former Member 207

Okay, this is probably showing that this change is bugging me (as someone who designs graphics), but the "G" on WGN America does not have the downward line as the WGN9/WGN Sports/WGN News "G" does - it's almost like the person doing the new logo slapped it together without even making sure things match. Sorry, but that's just sloppy.

WGN.jpg.7f1479fa47c3708677ff24648746b301.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've talked about it a few times on the Radio-Info boards, but what about the possibility of WGN America carrying CBC's "The National" at 11:00 (after the WGN Chicago news) or midnight?

Ever since Newsworld International became Current as well as the 2005 lockout, the CBC has had lots of trouble finding a new U.S. home for "The National", and WGN America might be it.

Jonathan Allen

Coming from a critic when it comes to TV graphics, I actually like the new look better than the previous one, its abstract and fresh, something WGN's national feed needs after all those "still images" layered on scrolling text like the promos and ID's had. I really like the new look, however, I think the logo is hideous and plain and put together in about 5 minutes, and the slogan screams that they are desperate for viewers. I do like the new branding though, it shows that WGN is willing to break away from its "Superstation" roots like TBS. I also like how the graphics have an "ion television" kind of feel, very subtle and dreamlike.

Speaking off the record a moment, I actually think that "ion television" is doing pretty well having to pull themselves back together from scratch, i mean they are actually bringing in some decent syndicated programming, i think once they bring in some original programming, they might do pretty well, kind of like PAX from the old days only better, i think they could even outbeat MyNetworkTV.

Sorry for going off record, but seriously I think WGN America is a wise move for WGN, they just need a better logo.

Sorry for going off record, but seriously I think WGN America is a wise move for WGN, they just need a better logo.

I personally don't think the branding is a problem, as of right now. But those "scary" lady "eyes" need to go. Imagine how a 3 year-old child would look at that logo. That would scare the hell out of them. I also think this is one of their tactics to cause some outrage, so many folks would e-mail WGN and ask them to change the logo. I don't see this logo lasting long.

The only thing that I was shocked about, programming wise besides the News, sports & public affairs programs, is that they are airing The Best Of Soul Train at 1pm weekdays, instead of every Saturday.

It's probably an accident. They'll change it later...

Ahhh, Damn!!!! LOL. But you know, Don wouldn't want that to be aired everyday anyway, since it's shown once a week. But ever since they've aired classic episodes, I've been watchin' it ever since. All the other shows on the superstation is just, dull.

Man, I started to have a positive opinion of the channel, but with this new logo... WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?!

And I hate the name too. "WGN America" sounds too nationalist. Just call it "WGN", like in the '90s. Sometimes backwards is better. And the on-air graphics; THEY'RE HIDEOUS! What is this, a general entertainment channel or a channel for goths and nocturnal animals?

Good lord, who in the right mind thought this thing would ever work? That logo is horrible looking on the screen, I mean, EYES?! The font is wrong, the eyes are wrong, and the logo looks like something any idiot could make. Anything would be better, even a USA look alike.

Man, I started to have a positive opinion of the channel, but with this new logo... WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?!

And I hate the name too. "WGN America" sounds to nationalist. Just call it "WGN", like in the '90s. Sometimes backwards is better. And the on-air graphics; THEY'RE HIDEOUS! What is this, a general entertainment channel or a channel for goths and nocturnal animals?

WGN America is okay by me in my book. Or at least call themselves WGN: America's SuperStation? That would have satisfied a lot of people, but when you have an owner like Sam Zell, Randy Michaels and Lee Abrams, running Tribune, you can't help but wonder if it's for the better or for the worse. [WLVI, you were sold right on time....to the wrong owner!]

Oh, and BTW the voiceover is Casey Kasem, who hasn't done VO work since the days of NBC in the early 80s.

WGN America is okay by me in my book. Or at least call themselves WGN: America's SuperStation? That would have satisfied a lot of people, but when you have an owner like Sam Zell, Randy Michaels and Lee Abrams, running Tribune, you can't help but wonder if it's for the better or for the worse. [WLVI, you were sold right on time....to the wrong owner!]

Oh, and BTW the voiceover is Casey Kasem, who hasn't done VO work since the days of NBC in the early 80s.

THAT may be a good move.

Does anyone kind of get a Big Brother (or Sister in this case) feel with their new logo?

THAT may be a good move.

Does anyone kind of get a Big Brother (or Sister in this case) feel with their new logo?

Yeah. Maybe they should change the slogan to "TV That Can't Ignore You".

Here is a story in the Chicago Tribune about it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/chi-wed-rosenthal-28may28,0,4582125.column

BTW: The logo is supposed to look like something from an album cover in an attempt to be "untraditional". I will say it certainly is "untraditional".

Also I didn't mention this before but I like WGN America, it sounds like they are keeping their Chicago "roots" which I think is a smart move.

OK, I don't get WGN on cable here, probably never will, so I'm just basing it on the website...

...and I actually quite like it. Maybe it's because they revived that awesome 1980s Movie Channel logo - or maybe it's because it's something DIFFERENT than some abstract swoosh. I'd like to see on-air examples if that's ever possible.

As for the slogan... well, that's absolutely something Randy Michaels brought with him from Local TV - and before that, Jacor/Clear Channel (where it was "The Noise You Can't Ignore"). So this indicates some very strong interest from the highest levels of Tribune.

The whole thing seems to speak to the kind of laid back, informal feel Zell and Michaels are trying to do at the company.

Looking at that last link, it's kind of interesting how they've changed it, but still, the logo is just too obtrusive when you're watching and just doesn't look right on the screen. Maybe this is why I hate the FNC cube also, but it seems like branding should pop out to you to a level, but not pop out and make your eyes look at it vs. the content.

Grabbed a few things - sorry - my cable hookup isn't the best, so on non-digital tuners it's a bit crappy...

The first one is the ID from the end of the Out of Sight Retro Nights promo...most promos have the logo at the end with the matching background from the promo.

The second is credits from a Corner Gas with a Becker promo - the purple background is used a lot for generic promos.

The third just shows the bug in use.

The fourth and fifth use the same flames/plasma look, but they're orange and for the Cubs in HD.

The last is for the Rocky marathon this week - this promo was actually done for SuperStation WGN, but had the old logo.

EyeTVSnapshot.jpg.ae82cf25ae844abd1e1192150d01d74f.jpg

1908842668_EyeTVSnapshot1.jpg.d1da83d1eb3a4b2dd45ecdf89a83ff21.jpg

183229431_EyeTVSnapshot2.jpg.b0c8a02ed5cc6c446c9f35864b70a00b.jpg

33736759_EyeTVSnapshot3.jpg.8314f9f46100ffe042f0defcdd7b2468.jpg

1783215783_EyeTVSnapshot4.jpg.fc470cf3ee58566a517a44161a648db7.jpg

2074421369_EyeTVSnapshot5.jpg.5d901cfdb89e6ec0b70ebb68ecd3f72b.jpg

FWIW, WPHL here in Philly (a Tribune MyNet), which has carried World Championship Sports Network on its digital subchannel since The Tube went belly up now has a slide up informing us that they will no longer be airing WCSN, and to stay tuned for more compelling programming...

Any developments on that "affiliates" page?

I swear, the new WGN America logo seems too Orwellian, like 1984: Big Brother is Watching You! et. al. It really doesn't matter to me because some states don't even get WGN on cable. My state, Connecticut, is one of them. We're lucky if some cable companies in CT give us WPIX.

Man, I started to have a positive opinion of the channel, but with this new logo... WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?!....

And the on-air graphics; THEY'RE HIDEOUS! What is this, a general entertainment channel or a channel for goths and nocturnal animals?

You know what would have been really cool about WGN America? I was thinking on the lines of Trib's radio station WGN-AM, and how they had the current jingle, why don't they do that and also make the WGN logo look more like it's radio logo. Again, the current logo screams MOVIE Channel!

5am to 7am Local News

7am to 9am Daily Buzz

9am to 10am Life Goes On or S. Ward's show that was on ABC

10am to 11am Picket Fences

11am to Noon Nash Bridges

Noon to 1pm Local News

1pm to 1:30pm Major Dad

1:30pm to 2pm Growing Pains

2pm to 2:30pm Clarrisa Explains it all

2:30pm to 3pm Wipeout that Game Show that use to be

3pm to 3:30pm Chicago Triva Game Show

4pm to 6:30pm Local News

6:30pm to 7pm Local Show

7pm to 9pm Primetime Programming

9pm to 10:30pm Local News

10:30pm to 5am Anything

5am to 7am Local News

7am to 9am Daily Buzz

9am to 10am Life Goes On or S. Ward's show that was on ABC

10am to 11am Picket Fences

11am to Noon Nash Bridges

Noon to 1pm Local News

1pm to 1:30pm Major Dad

1:30pm to 2pm Growing Pains

2pm to 2:30pm Clarrisa Explains it all

2:30pm to 3pm Wipeout that Game Show that use to be

3pm to 3:30pm Chicago Triva Game Show

4pm to 6:30pm Local News

6:30pm to 7pm Local Show

7pm to 9pm Primetime Programming

9pm to 10:30pm Local News

10:30pm to 5am Anything

????

Darn that "eyes" logo!!! If that logo makes you sick, then it makes me sick too, I agree, change the logo back to a "Swirled S" or "Upsidedown G" kind of logo and bring back the word "Superstation" Since TBS became a regular cable channel 2 or 3 years ago, WGN was the last superstation left, now they get a new logo that kind of "Movie Channel-ish" type of logo? That logo is sick!!!

Archived