WPIX Celebrates 60 Years June 14th

IceManNYR

I guessing in the special we might get to some older news clips.

http://cw11.trb.com/about/station/wpix-wpix-60th-2008-release,0,62274.story

June 5, 2008--NEW YORK--The year was 1948, the price of a stamp was 3 cents, a subway ride 10 cents, and a gallon of gas a whopping 16 cents when WPIX hit the air on June 15 as New York City's first independent television station.

For 60 years, the award-winning WPIX-TV has been New York's home for groundbreaking television, and to celebrate, WPIX will air WPIX AT 60 BIRTHDAY BASH, a special marathon of classic programming on Saturday, June 14 (from 12 noon to 9pm) followed by a one hour retrospective hosted by News Anchors Jim Watkins and Kaity Tong.

Congratulations, WPIX! This is certainly a milestone. The lineup they have planned is great. Certainly a homage to the past with all the classic shows scheduled to air. Good for them.

I wonder if they can bring back any of the local "personalities" they had - if they're still alive. People like Officer Joe Bolton and Captain Jack McCarthy - I'm sure they've all gone to their final rewards years ago....

I wonder if they can bring back any of the local "personalities" they had - if they're still alive. People like Officer Joe Bolton and Captain Jack McCarthy - I'm sure they've all gone to their final rewards years ago....

Both of them are long gone. Joe died in 1986 and Jack passed 10 years later in 1996

I think the special at 9PM on Saturday with Watkins and Tong was pretty good. I especially liked the historical aspect, as to how they came up with the call letters and all the various logos over the years. Good job!

I liked the segment at the end, featuring all their news anchors and many of their top reporters over the last 60 years. Some of those faces, names, and hairstyles really took me back and got me wondering "whatever happened to....."

Archived