NBC About to give up all but 3 O&Os ?????

lugnuts6

Here's what I think NBC should do with its O&O's:

Keep: WNBC, KNBC, KXAS, WRC, WMAQ

Sell: KNSD, KNTV, WCAU, WTVJ, WVIT

I know that WTVJ and WVIT are in the process of being sold.

I said keep WRC because it's the headquarters of NBC's Washington bureau. I said keep KXAS because it's in a market with a lot of potential and can be a strong station. I said keep WMAQ, WNBC, and KNBC because they're in the top 3 television markets in the US.

I said sell KNSD, KNTV, and WCAU because they're not only the lowest rated stations in their markets (in terms of Big 3 networks), but they're also not in high definition, whereas other stations are in HD. I believe if these stations are in HD, they could become great competitors. Unless they do, I doubt their ratings will get better. Those are just my thoughts. Feel free to disagree.

KNSD is NOT in the bottom in terms of the big 3 networks. They are a solid number two, and they always generate the highest revenue in the San Diego market each year.

I said keep WRC because it's the headquarters of NBC's Washington bureau. I said keep KXAS because it's in a market with a lot of potential and can be a strong station. I said keep WMAQ, WNBC, and KNBC because they're in the top 3 television markets in the US.

I said sell KNSD, KNTV, and WCAU because they're not only the lowest rated stations in their markets (in terms of Big 3 networks), but they're also not in high definition, whereas other stations are in HD. I believe if these stations are in HD, they could become great competitors. Unless they do, I doubt their ratings will get better. Those are just my thoughts. Feel free to disagree.

Looks pretty good however there are 2 things I disagree with. I think they can sell off KXAS because they are pretty weak ratings wise and they are in HD which can be more profitable to sell off. Like I have said before, I can not fathom NBC selling off KNTV. NBC pulled all sort of stunts and tricks to get an O&O in San Francisco and money spent upgrading facilities and prepping for HD plus snagging the local tv rights to the Giants games from long-time affiliate KTVU that it would have all been meaning less and a waste of time for NBC to sell off KNTV. Otherwise they would still be with KRON. I don't think they would give up that one so quickly. Otherwise the past 5 or so years building KNTV up would have been a waste of time.

WCAU is a Mendte Scandal away from reclaiming the #2 spot. KYW is pretty vulnerable. WCAU would be very competitive and a solid #2 if NBC didn't have such weak programming.

I also am going to call bullshit to the whole WCAU story that came out yesterday about them holding off on their HD upgrade. (This is from a friend at the station) That is not true. In fact they've been working on upgrading since late May. Since then they've upgraded studio lighting and cameras and are currently upgrading the control room as we speak. I'm also told they are to begin set construction in July with a target of September for a debut. To me that certainly doesn't sound like a station that's holding off on an HD upgrade. Laura Nachman's usually credible when it comes to Philly TV news but she's def missed her mark on this one.

WCAU is a Mendte Scandal away from reclaiming the #2 spot. KYW is pretty vulnerable. WCAU would be very competitive and a solid #2 if NBC didn't have such weak programming.

There's also word that 10 would be chomping at the bit to get Mendte if he were to be let go.

There's also word that 10 would be chomping at the bit to get Mendte if he were to be let go.

Don't what you had till it's gone. Aside from bringing Mendte back I think they need to focus on getting Rob Guarino to replace T.D. Schwartz. If they can't get Larry, I would love to see WCAU pick up Dave Huddleston but pairing him with Renee Chennault-Fattah at 6 and 11 could make some "prejudicial" viewers who need to get with the real world bolt.

If I ran NBC right now, this is probably how I'd have the plan work out:

Keep: WNBC, KNBC, WMAQ, WRC, (maybe) KXAS

Sell: WTVJ, WCAU (both bottom-feeders in their respective markets)

Not sure what to do with the rest.

Remember way back when reports surfaced that NBCUniverssal could be out from under GE's thumbs after the olympics.....

Sounds like that could be a reality if you look at some of whats been happening lately

Why does everybody think that NBC doesn't need WCAU? Let's not forget who owns the other stations in Philly:

WPVI - ABC O&O

KYW - CBS O&O

WTXF - FOX O&O

WPSG - CW O&O

WPHL - Tribune

Four of the other five stations in Philly are network O&Os. Philly is the fourth biggest television market (after NY, LA, and Chicago). It would be stupid for them to give up WCAU. They are not a distant third as some have mentioned in this thread. It's basically a battle for second between them and KYW (KYW took second in some time slots, while WCAU took second in other time slots).

Wasn't NBC desperate to have an OnO in Philly, considering all those years of KYW-TV preemptions and ratings. Perhaps its new mgmt, or its just something else. And what about in the Bay Area, I know NBC was long after KRON but got KNTV.

They did from 1956-1965; they swapped with Channel 3 in Cleveland, NBC moving WNBK to Philadelphia as WRCV... and Westinghouse moving WPTZ to Cleveland as KYW. The justice department forced the swap to be reversed in 1965 after Westinghouse complained. The result after the swap was WKYC in Cleveland owned by NBC (now owned by Gannett) and KYW in Philadelphia owned by Westinghouse.

KNTV? HAHA! no way! they just got a new HD Controlroom And GrassValley's Ignite! they are in the procces of getting a set refresh too' date=' no way they will sell them[/quote']

So what. WVIT is getting an entirely new studio building and it's up for sale.

Archived