NBC About to give up all but 3 O&Os ?????

lugnuts6

FTVLive reports that NBC sources say that John Wallace the president of te NBCUNIVERSAL O&O Group has discussed with the two jeff's (Immelt and Zucker) a plan called "THE GROWTH PLAYBOOK" for next year where all but three NBC O&Os would be sould

(those staying in the fold..NY.LA.Chicago)

this insider says that NBCUNI wants out of the Local Stations biz..

plus a pitch was made to let NBC NEWS produce WNBCs Newscasts (like they did in the early days of WMAQ)

I dont know about you all, but this is troubling indeed

Sounds very possible to me.. Details weren't released but I can say if NBC wants to put their focus elsewhere in the company, I can see this happening. Something like this is may be necessary for NBC to continue to be as profitable as they want to be. You have to look at this in more of a business management perspective.

ABC did similar by selling off almost half control/ownership of their news radio stations to put more focus on their TV side.

Plus, I thought some of you TVNT members would be more excited? If no longer in NBC ownership, the station would have more freedom in graphic and music selection which I know turns some of you on.

Well, if you guys like the prospect of Media General or Local TV or maybe Sinclair owning a station in a major market...then, yes, this plan is for you.

That said, given the current economic climate, I can't see NBC finding a buyer for all the orphaned O&Os. I could see Hearst getting a couple but beyond that...

And besides, if this were true, why is Troika/Lost Project being commissioned to make a whole new package for the O&Os? And even beyond that...why would NBC want to ditch at least one growing market--Dallas?

-T

Yes, because as we all know, those three station groups are swimming in cash and have the money to acquire a major market ex-O&O.

-C

Hey, it didn't stop MG from buying...what, 4 ex-NBC O&Os?

-T

All I have to say is WTF!!!! NBC selling all BUT the O&Os in the top 3 makets is stupid, not because WNBC, KNBC, and WMAQ are cash cows, but because they didn't give their other O&Os a chance before attempting to sell them. Before they can go all out, they will have to focus on WTVJ and WVIT, the ones REALLY put up for sale.

Remember folks, TV is a business. That's what it boils down to. Heritage, talent, graphics and music be damned... running a local TV station costs a lot of money, especially now that we're going into the digital realm. Does GE have the money to burn to invest in their properties at this point? Not really. Especially with the economy slowing down and instability overseas. Running a station in a medium-sized market costs nearly as much as it does in a top 10 market, save for contracts for talent. Only difference is large markets bill a LOT more for ad revenue. And with revenue dropping in local TV like crazy as a whole, I could actually see this happening. GE's shareholders are screaming for higher profit margins, and selling a few more O&O's is a great way to pick up a couple hundred million reallllllly quick.

Plus with the internet and cable eroding ratings for stations nationwide, it makes sense for NBC to pull out while they can still make a decent amount of money (that is, if they are actually able to sell any stations off in this climate).

This might sound good....perhaps if the other ono's are sold to smaller companies, resulting in the decentralization of mass media. I would like to just be WNBC, KNBC, WMAQ, and WRC, yes Washington needs an ono and WRC is right. Besides, excess ownership just waters down the product considering what little time there is to focus on local productions. NBC should dump Mundos, and WTVJ, KNTV, KXAS, KNSD, and go back into being a simple operation.

plus a pitch was made to let NBC NEWS produce WNBCs Newscasts (like they did in the early days of WMAQ)

Hmm...considering how today's local news landscape is more fluff and sensational, that makes a lot of sense.

Gonna call bullcrap on this for one simple reason.

Why would NBC News be taking over production of the WNBC newscasts... when WNBC has just announced a 24 hour news network, a major undertaking that requires a major refocus of how that station does business? That seems to be something that signals *more* local involvement, not *less*. Though I think there's some slight integration already (WNBC's newsroom is now incorporated into the new NBC News complex at 30 Rock, right?), I don't think there's gonna be anything huge.

I see more O&O selloffs but nothing to the degree that has been rumored.

A interesting new development in the NBC Deal via DCRTV.

HD Delay At 4 - 6/17 - DCRTV hears rumors that NBC suits have delayed or scrapped high-def upgrade plans for the news studios of DC's WRC-TV and Philadelphia's WCAU-TV. Fueling rumors that the Peacock is planning to put both stations on the market.....

From Laura Nachman's site

June 16, 2008

NBC10's Plans for HD Studio Put on Hold

According to industry sources, plans for an HD studio for NBC10, originally set to begin construction in July, have been put on hold.

Some speculate it may pertain to a possible sale of more NBC stations. A few months ago, NBC affiliates in Miami and Hartford were sold.

An NBC10 spokesperson did not respond to a phone message.

In other NBC10 news, nbc10.com along with the other NBC affiliate web sites will be taken over by the network. Currently, NBC's web sites are maintained by Internet Broadcasting Systems.

Here's more about WRC from DCRTV.com...

CBS & ABC Interested In NBC4? - 6/16 - DCRTV hears more rumors that NBC is seriously thinking about selling Channel 4/WRC, its longtime owned station in DC. And, we're hearing rumblings that two of the possible bidders for the station are the two other major broadcast networks. CBS has long wanted to own a TV station in DC, but the DC's CBS affiliate, Channel 9/WUSA, is owned by Gannett. And the Washington Post before that. But if CBS were to bid on 4, it could face a co-ownership hurdle, since it owns five radio stations in the DC market. Another potential bidder, we hear, is ABC, which has always lusted over ABC affiliate Channel 7/WJLA, but owner Allbritton has steadfastly refused to sell. Also, ABC just sold its three DC radio stations to Citadel. If either CBS or ABC gets control of 4, expect some sort of network "musical chairs" as NBC finds a new "home" on the DC TV dial. Stay tuned......

I have to agree with all of the people on here who called bullshit to this plan.

Why would NBC dump so many stations, especially KXAS! As many other people noted KXAS is a growing market and will prolly become one of their strongest stations if they don't dump it.

Also, isn't WRC home of the Washington? What will they do with it if they sell? In the deal does it include facilities or just the station, as in dial number?

Actually, now reading the news about the HD sets...that probably means the stations won't get an HD overhaul, period.

I'm starting to feel this rumor is a bit more credible.

-T

Actually, now reading the news about the HD sets...that probably means the stations won't get an HD overhaul, period.

I'm starting to feel this rumor is a bit more credible.

-T

Well, WTVJ in Miami went HD earlier this year, and about a month later it was put up for sale. I think that they might delay the HD overhaul, but not completely scrap it. It might be easier to sell a tv station that is technologically up to date, as opposed to one that isn't because a new owner might not have to worry to spend even more money trying to upgrade the station. However, I do see the remaining(or most of the) NBC O&O's going HD, but maybe not till the end of the year. Sucks for WRC, because they really need the upgrade. Their set is ready for the trashcan. On a side note, ABC and CBS do not own a tv station in the D.C. area, and they function well with their bureaus, so in reality they don't need an O&O station there.

I think what is being questioned is that NBC's Washington bureau shares the same building as WRC. So if CBS or ABC were in fact interested in WRC, then they would have to abandon the WRC building and move somewhere else which would be a unnecessary logistical nightmare that I don't think NBC wants. If they were to remain NBC under new ownership, then there would be no problem. I can see CBS wanting to move since WUSA is dead last in the ratings but I can't figure out why ABC would want to move. WJLA is quickly gaining on long-time winner WRC.

Anyways shame about the holdup on HD for WRC. The DC and Baltimore markets are ridiculously behind with HD. DC's choice for HD news is WUSA and Baltimore's is WBFF. Not a good selection to choose from.

Overall, I am very questionable about this rumor.

I think what is being questioned is that NBC's Washington bureau shares the same building as WRC. So if CBS or ABC were in fact interested in WRC, then they would have to abandon the WRC building and move somewhere else which would be a unnecessary logistical nightmare that I don't think NBC wants. If they were to remain NBC under new ownership, then there would be no problem. I can see CBS wanting to move since WUSA is dead last in the ratings but I can't figure out why ABC would want to move. WJLA is quickly gaining on long-time winner WRC.

Anyways shame about the holdup on HD for WRC. The DC and Baltimore markets are ridiculously behind with HD. DC's choice for HD news is WUSA and Baltimore's is WBFF. Not a good selection to choose from.

Overall, I am very questionable about this rumor.

I question the rumor as well. However if someone were to by WRC even if its CBS or ABC or whoever, there is always the chance something could workout where nobody moves anywhere, at least for the time being. One could pay rent. Say if CBS buys WRC then they pay rent to NBC. Sounds silly but its possible. Such a setup sometimes is done in radio.

I live across the street from four radio stations who share a building. Two rock stations under one ownership and two Hispanic formated stations under another totally seperate ownership. The two rock stations I believe hold the lease for the building while the two Hispanic stations pay rent to the owner of the rock stations to be there. Since the radio stations where I live don't allow visitors unless its for official business ( mainly clients who buy time ), I don't know how all of this is set up though but whatever it is, it must be working out since all four have been in the building for sometime now.

Here's what I think NBC should do with its O&O's:

Keep: WNBC, KNBC, KXAS, WRC, WMAQ

Sell: KNSD, KNTV, WCAU, WTVJ, WVIT

I know that WTVJ and WVIT are in the process of being sold.

I said keep WRC because it's the headquarters of NBC's Washington bureau. I said keep KXAS because it's in a market with a lot of potential and can be a strong station. I said keep WMAQ, WNBC, and KNBC because they're in the top 3 television markets in the US.

I said sell KNSD, KNTV, and WCAU because they're not only the lowest rated stations in their markets (in terms of Big 3 networks), but they're also not in high definition, whereas other stations are in HD. I believe if these stations are in HD, they could become great competitors. Unless they do, I doubt their ratings will get better. Those are just my thoughts. Feel free to disagree.

Archived