KSWB Update...

Bsean

So it appears that constuction on the new set at KSWB has begun. I was watching the morning news this morning, and Perette Godwin was doing her updates from somewhere different. Not really sure from where, but there was a huge CW 5 News logo to the side of her and she was standing. At any rate, she was not at the desk. I wonder what set design firm they went with. We'll see August 1st.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perette has been standing up since the day after the Elections (June 4th, I think). It will be interesting to see what kind of set they will get seeing as the studio is somewhat small. They will probably get the FOX O&O set in a can. The current FOX station (XETV) is starting to use less and less of the FOX moniker, and it will not surprise me if they drop the FOX name in the next few weeks.

They are now calling XETV San Diego's 6. No affiliation this time. Could the Tecate station get it? I could see KUSI getting the CW.

Edit: I should say after August 1st they will be San Diego's 6.

They are now calling XETV San Diego's 6. No affiliation this time. Could the Tecate station get it? I could see KUSI getting the CW.

Edit: I should say after August 1st they will be San Diego's 6.

KUSI probably won't go for the CW because of reverse compensation.

any word on what XETV will be yet

They are going independent and calling themselves San Diego 6. If you watch my post above thats what they have planned. No plans for affiliation but CW may or may not last longer than a year.

Well KUSI has to be getting the CW affiliation then... because it was made clear by CW that Tribune would help find a home for CW in San Diego because they want presence here. Also, about a month and a half ago, KUSI began having an HD channel on COX cable even though they don't carry not one HD program on their schedule. Seems to me that they are getting CW.

Well KUSI has to be getting the CW affiliation then... because it was made clear by CW that Tribune would help find a home for CW in San Diego because they want presence here. Also, about a month and a half ago, KUSI began having an HD channel on COX cable even though they don't carry not one HD program on their schedule. Seems to me that they are getting CW.

Not necessarily. Tribune will try to find a home for the CW in San Diego, as far as I know, it well may be on a digital subchannel. So no one really knows. Also, KUSI put their channel on the HD tier on COX's system, because supposedly they are going to be doing HD newscasts sometime in Feb. 09. You could be right Bsean, KUSI could end up getting the CW, but I don't think that the cheapskates of the McKinnon's are willing to pony up the dough to fix KUSI and make it CW-esque. You just never know, stranger things have happened.

From San Diego Metropolitan Magazine...

...Steve Cohen, news director at KUSI-TV Channel 51, the independent station owned by McKinnon Broadcasting, says everything on the channel, including local news broadcasts, will be broadcast in HD beginning in February. “It’s expensive, but we have to move forward,” says Cohen. That means acquiring new studio cameras, acquisition cameras, laptops for editing and switching out the control room from analog to HD.

If KUSI were going CW then it would be announced by now. I think KTLA and KTLA HD will probably be piped into our U-verse, Cable and SAT equipment. Cox already carries KTLA for some reason. Maybe they will carry the HD version since CW has some compelling HD shows. Also KTLA has HD news. Just my ramblings.

If KUSI were going CW then it would be announced by now. I think KTLA and KTLA HD will probably be piped into our U-verse, Cable and SAT equipment. Cox already carries KTLA for some reason. Maybe they will carry the HD version since CW has some compelling HD shows. Also KTLA has HD news. Just my ramblings.

I cannot see XETV doing HD news because the future (Jan. 09) is unclear. No one really knows what is going to happen to XETV, for all intents and purposes it could be the next Univision station. They are not getting a new set, otherwise they wouldn't have plucked out most of the FOX logos on the set. It will probably just be a refresh.

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere and I'm just too lost to find it, but is it me, or does the music in the "San Diego's 6" promos sound like the Indie stuff from Arnold? Now, maybe they're using it just for the promos, but could it be the future theme for San Diego's 6?

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere and I'm just too lost to find it' date=' but is it me, or does the music in the "San Diego's 6" promos sound like the Indie stuff from Arnold? Now, maybe they're using it just for the promos, but could it be the future theme for San Diego's 6?[/quote']

Yeah, you may be right. I thought the music sounded like the Indie pack. There was one promo from XETV that I was not able to record but the music was one of the cuts that is featured in the samples of the Indie section on Stephen Arnold's website.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet. But Fox 5 San Diego has its own youtube channel now with all the promos they have out. They all have the O&O style logo (including the booze ban one which had the different logo before) which looks like the one they are going to use.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=fox5sandiego&p=r

BTW: Who does the voiceover for these promos? It sounds like I heard him somewhere else before.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet. But Fox 5 San Diego has its own youtube channel now with all the promos they have out. They all have the O&O style logo (including the booze ban one which had the different logo before) which looks like the one they are going to use.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=fox5sandiego&p=r

BTW: Who does the voiceover for these promos? It sounds like I heard him somewhere else before.

I read on another forum that the voice over is the same guy that apparently does work for the Whataburger chain out of Texas. To me, it sounds like Ed O'Brien or the former voiceover from KPIX-TV Hal Douglas.

I wonder if they are buying HD field cameras since their current ones are SD. Sounds like a major upgrade to the news room. Now we shall see if KGTV can get it in HD before KSWB.

I read on another forum that the voice over is the same guy that apparently does work for the Whataburger chain out of Texas. To me' date=' it sounds like Ed O'Brien or the former voiceover from KPIX-TV Hal Douglas.[/quote']

That's it. It is the same guy that does the voice for the Whataburger commercials. Thanks for clearing that up.

Weird since a U-verse employee says that KTLA is being piped in for San Diego customers. I wonder if XETV gets CW. I have no idea if FTVLive is credible or not. Tribune actually wanted to bring KTLA in to San Diego if there was no CW in San Diego.

I can finally lay the XETV going to CW rumor to rest. XETV has no plans to switch to CW. They will be the independent San Diego 6. I guess FTVLive has the ability to spread out false rumors. It looks like KTLA will be our CW affiliate.

I can finally lay the XETV going to CW rumor to rest. XETV has no plans to switch to CW. They will be the independent San Diego 6. I guess FTVLive has the ability to spread out false rumors. It looks like KTLA will be our CW affiliate.

Source? I hope that you are not going by the comment that a "supposed" U-Verse employee left on one of the YT videos I posted. KTLA has/had been carried by almost all cable and satellite providers in San Diego County for a long time. The only cable system to currently have it in their lineup is COX. Time Warner decided to get rid of KTLA because KSWB shows a simulcast of their morning news and it was just taking up space. The fact of the matter is that no one knows what is really going to happen to XETV, or The CW in San Diego. It might get piped in from L.A. or XETV may get the affiliation. The bad thing about this switch is all the mess its creating for the viewers. Time will only tell.

Apparently on the hdtv.forsandiego.com board one person actually called XETV and they said they aren't going to get the CW affiliation. Who knows what is going to happen for CW. KTLA is a good option. Really depends on CW's ratings. It must destroy XETV being independent or getting CW. Fox probably gave them a ton of advertising and viewers. I think XETV should become the San Diego CW affiliate. Might not be ideal but it's a good compromise. Maybe FTVlive is right or maybe not.

http://hdtv.forsandiego.com/messages/81/6532.html?1214525240

Scroll down and it proves my point. XETV may say they aren't switching to CW but it seems like they are staying independent. Or just using San Diego 6 logo temporarily until they get the CW affiliation. Maybe XETV secretly submitted a CW bid. Who knows where this is going. I wish XETV and the CW network the best even if it requires KTLA to be pumped into our cable, u-verse, and sat networks.

I have Time Warner Cable so I cant get KTLA Prime News anymore, but i noticed on their website and looking at some of their Prime News Videos a few days ago, the KTLA Bug has the KTLA logo and Temp and would San Diego's Temp instead of Hollywood like it used to....Now, it shows temps across the Southland. But if KTLA will be San Diego's CW affiliate....if thats the choice...I wonder if there will be a "San Diego Bureau" like how theres an Inland Empire and Orange County Bureau on KABC. Or will there just be local news cut ins like how they do in the mornings right now and will KTLA come back to the Time Warner Line Up?

hmm

Archived