Larry's gone too.

scranton

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even if Larry is cleared of any wrongdoing in this matter, his reputation is ruined. No matter where he goes, this will follow him for the rest of his life.

Um...No.

When you're cleared of something, that's not how it's supposed to work.

When you're cleared of something, the greater population should have the common sense to realize that, in the eyes of the government, you did nothing wrong. In some cases (like wrongly convicted rapists and murders) they actually go back and SUE the government for screwing up. (Yes, I *can* say this ad not be a hypocrite because before this broke, I was actually supportive of Alycia's fight. Now that, in my opinion, she dragged someone else as a part of her dirty laundry, I feel different about it.)

If Larry is cleared, and he thinks his reputation is ruined regardless, he should go back and take to court those who passed judgment a little early. I'm not necessarily talking about CBS3, I'm talking about...I dunno, the the government. Or the Philadelphia Daily News, who thrives on this sort of gossip a little too much.

Alycia seems to be doing that (with CBS3 at least) with the support of most of you. Why not Larry? It's only fair, right?

-T

OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson would like to have a word with you.

I don't even wanna go there.

With them it's not a matter of the situation so much as it is societal overtones and the notion of, if enough people say something is true, it must be true. (And, I guess the latter is much like this situation, except on a much larger, wider scale.)

Though, Michael could prolly have a tour and still have it be wildly successful worldwide, and here in the US.

Meh.

-T

Um...No.

When you're cleared of something, that's not how it's supposed to work.

When you're cleared of something, the greater population should have the common sense to realize that, in the eyes of the government, you did nothing wrong. In some cases (like wrongly convicted rapists and murders) they actually go back and SUE the government for screwing up. (Yes, I *can* say this ad not be a hypocrite because before this broke, I was actually supportive of Alycia's fight. Now that, in my opinion, she dragged someone else as a part of her dirty laundry, I feel different about it.)

If Larry is cleared, and he thinks his reputation is ruined regardless, he should go back and take to court those who passed judgment a little early. I'm not necessarily talking about CBS3, I'm talking about...I dunno, the the government. Or the Philadelphia Daily News, who thrives on this sort of gossip a little too much.

Alycia seems to be doing that (with CBS3 at least) with the support of most of you. Why not Larry? It's only fair, right?

-T

He committed a crime. He was the lead anchor. Lead by example. Get over it.

• 2 weeks later...

Philly.com:

Acting U.S. Attorney Laurie Magid is expected to announce at 1 p.m. that former CBS 3 anchor Larry Mendte has be charged by information with one count of unauthorized access to a computer system, related to the federal investigation of whether Mendte hacked the private e-mails of former colleague Alycia Lane. Legal community sources tell us that when one is charged by information, rather than indictment, it typically signals a plea or sentencing agreement has been reached. Neither Patty Hartman, spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office or Mendte's lawyer Michael Schwartz immediately returned calls for comment this morning.

Well, when I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it and be the first to post the information that proves I'm wrong.

Meh.

EDIT: Still doesn't excuse what Alycia did to ultimately get her canned, but it makes things...a bit more understandable.

-T

Philly.com:

Well, when I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it and be the first to post the information that proves I'm wrong.

Meh.

EDIT: Still doesn't excuse what Alycia did to ultimately get her canned, but it makes things...a bit more understandable.

-T

You're still missing the point though, no one made the argument (from what I've seen) that Lane was an innocent angel persecuted by the demon chlid Larry Mendte. All that we were saying was that her misfortunes that led to her termination were exacerbated by Mendte shipping all of those details and such to the gossip columnists.

I'm surprised that the Inquirer article was not linked here. Let me go and correct that:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20080713_Mendte_could_push_either_way.html

Very interesting/shocking details there. I think this article is the first one that actually went into detail about how he allegedly got the info - he used a keylogger.

I hate to say it but I think his career is probably over at this point. "Convicted felon" is way more radioactive than "Confrontation with police officer".

You're still missing the point though, no one made the argument (from what I've seen) that Lane was an innocent angel persecuted by the demon child Larry Mendte. All that we were saying was that her misfortunes that led to her termination were exacerbated by Mendte shipping all of those details and such to the gossip columnists.

Looking back at the past couple of pages overall...I respectfully disagree.

I don't know how much this will impact Lane's suit. If Larry pleads guilty, I'm thinking anything up to "slam dunk" is a possibility. I still stand by some of my original line of reasoning though in that this news only came out because of the pending and now current litigation Lane has against KYW. If Larry goes to jail, and Alycia loses her suit, make any argument you want about "a crime is still a crime," but Larry ultimately went to jail for nothing.

-T

Looking back at the past couple of pages overall...I respectfully disagree.

I don't know how much this will impact Lane's suit. If Larry pleads guilty, I'm thinking anything up to "slam dunk" is a possibility. I still stand by some of my original line of reasoning though in that this news only came out because of the pending and now current litigation Lane has against KYW. If Larry goes to jail, and Alycia loses her suit, make any argument you want about "a crime is still a crime," but Larry ultimately went to jail for nothing.

-T

So basically you're saying, I can go to your house tomorrow morning after the mailman comes and rifle through your mail with no problem? That what you're saying? If so I will most definitely oblige you cause you as you put it "is just nothing".

I always thought Larry was a great person off camera. Man, was I wrong. I wonder what Dawn will do if Larry goes to jail. 537 times he looked at Alycia's e-mails. That's gonna hurt big-time. As for Alycia, I always liked her, ever since she first started. I do think she made some less-than-desirable decisions off camera, but what people do off-camera is nobody's business. I really hope Alycia gets another chance to anchor the news, no matter where.

Yesterday, Chicago Sun-Times columnist Robert Feder mentioned Larry Mendte in his column. (Link: http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/1066861,feder072108.article) It's funny that Robert Feder used the term "Scary Larry" which is still used to describe him among newsrooms here in Chicago.

The one thing Chicagoans remember about him, which is also a reason that many here guess why he never caught on with viewers here, were his eyes. Someone here in Chicago recently described him as having "Children of the Damned" eyes. Larry could use his eyes to look through the TV screen to read into the viewers' minds or to put on a tap dance in your living room.

I know Larry Mendte caught on with viewers in Philly and became a really good anchor there. Did anyone there in Philly ever have anything to say about his eyes?

So basically you're saying, I can go to your house tomorrow morning after the mailman comes and rifle through your mail with no problem? That what you're saying? If so I will most definitely oblige you cause you as you put it "is just nothing".

You can try if you want, though you'd have to get through a couple of security checkpoints first! :) And all you'd be getting are a few adverts for Comcast and Micro Center.

...But seriously, I didn't actually mean "nothing" in that manner. I meant it with its regard to leverage in Alycia's case. Larry's expected plea should be a major turning point in her favor. If Alycia *still* loses her case against CBS, then her lawyer made a big stink about it to no benefit at all (and I still believe this would have never been investigated without the aggressive pursuit of Alycia's attorney on the matter.) Larry gets...punished, and Alycia ends up blowing the rest of her savings toward attorney's fees. In the end, they're both screwed.

In a way, I kinda hope it turns out that way now. Alycia gets no advantage and never works in television again; Larry serves whatever sentence he gets and maybe he'll become a spokesperson for one of the major local charities--they, at least, seem much more sympathetic to the situation than most here.

-T

While looking though the indictment (http://static.cbslocal.com/station/kyw/Information%20-%20Mendte.pdf), I noticed that he would access her e-mails during the 6pm news while she was sitting next to him!!

And again, I think that brings to attention again the idea of timing and how we have a lawsuit going on by Alycia against CBS.

When you take away the magic of the camera...those sets aren't big.

How does she NOT notice that?

And if she DID notice that...why does she sit on it for so long?

Ponder.

-T

And again, I think that brings to attention again the idea of timing and how we have a lawsuit going on by Alycia against CBS.

When you take away the magic of the camera...those sets aren't big.

How does she NOT notice that?

And if she DID notice that...why does she sit on it for so long?

Ponder.

-T

I believe she did say somewhere that she did tell management. They ignored her. We can think what we want about Alycia, but she didn't set out to destroy anyone, he did. He ruined her. Whether she made bad choices or not off camera, none of us would know except he told us all I'm sure with a twist to them. And after she was gone to still be that obsessed, is really stalker status in my opinion. He violated her, I don't think I'd want anyone reading and seeing all my personal correspondence it's just so gross.

Archived