Oympic Zone

Bucc

The olympic's begin Friday, as we all know. But at 7:30pm, before NBC's coverage of the olympic's, a program titled "Olympic Zone" will air. What I can't wait to find out, is, is the program a local NBC affil. thing, with NBC's help. Or will it be something directly from NBC?

For exmple:

"The WESH 2 Olympic Zone" will play at 7:30 starting Saturday

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2008/08/wesh-shares-its.html

or,

NEWSChannel 2 will be airing The Olympic Zone Show on WKTV at 7:30pm each night

http://www.wktv.com/blogs/promotions/26254719.html?blog=y

It will be interesting to see what this program turns out to be.

(The program-local or national-will begin Saturday, as NBC's coverage begins 7:30, this friday 8.8.08)

The olympic's begin Friday, as we all know. But at 7:30pm, before NBC's coverage of the olympic's, a program titled "Olympic Zone" will air. What I can't wait to find out, is, is the program a local NBC affil. thing, with NBC's help. Or will it be something directly from NBC?

For exmple:

"The WESH 2 Olympic Zone" will play at 7:30 starting Saturday

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2008/08/wesh-shares-its.html

or,

NEWSChannel 2 will be airing The Olympic Zone Show on WKTV at 7:30pm each night

http://www.wktv.com/blogs/promotions/26254719.html?blog=y

It will be interesting to see what this program turns out to be.

(The program-local or national-will begin Saturday, as NBC's coverage begins 7:30, this friday 8.8.08)

WNBC, WCAU, KSDK, are running it. WPXI doesn't seem to be. Maybe because of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. KSHB isn't showing it either because it would preempt Wheel of Fortune.

It does sound like it is a national program. But it also sounds like NBC is giving the affiliates flexibility on whether to air it or not.

I kind of figured that. I can't imagine the local affiliates putting on extra coverage of the Olympics on their own for 30 minutes every day.

I remember WXIA doing this for the 2006 Winter Games, it was a mix of local and national reports. Ted Hall and Fred Kalil anchored from Atlanta while Wes Sarginson was in Torino. I assume the Olympic Zone for the Summer Games will be similar.

wxiahd41.jpg?t=1218062412

wxiahd42.jpg?t=1218062413

What I do remember from the '06 Olympics was that main anchors Tom McNamara and Kristi Tedesco anchored the Olympic Zone. It was predominately local reports, but I guess that'd depend on the station. KPNX and KYMA versions of the Olympic Zone had different stories.

In addition to the 6pm newscast M-F and the Olympic Zone at 6:30pm, McNamara and Tedesco also anchored the late news (times varied and were usually after 11pm) every single night for two weeks straight.

anchors.jpg

I kind of figured that. I can't imagine the local affiliates putting on extra coverage of the Olympics on their own for 30 minutes every day.

yea, I can't eaither. should be interesting. Our NBC Affil. Hasn't been using the olympic ring modified logo during their newscasts.

WNBC, WCAU, KSDK, are running it. WPXI doesn't seem to be. Maybe because of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. KSHB isn't showing it either because it would preempt Wheel of Fortune.

It does sound like it is a national program. But it also sounds like NBC is giving the affiliates flexibility on whether to air it or not.

well then why is newschannel5 airing it... that too preempt wheel. so technically your theroy is not quite up to par..

which speaking of channel 5, are they basically shutting down the sports operation for the olympics? no This week in Cardinal nation, no cardinal telecasts (thank god), AND no sports plus on sunday night...

well then why is newschannel5 airing it... that too preempt wheel. so technically your theroy is not quite up to par..

which speaking of channel 5, are they basically shutting down the sports operation for the olympics? no This week in Cardinal nation, no cardinal telecasts (thank god), AND no sports plus on sunday night...

I didn't remember seeing that on their TV listings. I can guarantee that their will be no Cardinal telecasts, that will just be shown on FSN instead. I don't know what the schedule is for the olympics but if the olympics are on duirng the usual slot for this week in cardinal nation and sports plus will be cut drastically short or will be on hold during the olympics.

To sum your question up. Yes the olympics will put a damper on other sport coverage on KSDK which is where KTVI and especailly KMOV will prosper.

I didn't remember seeing that on their TV listings. I can guarantee that their will be no Cardinal telecasts, that will just be shown on FSN instead. I don't know what the schedule is for the olympics but if the olympics are on duirng the usual slot for this week in cardinal nation and sports plus will be cut drastically short or will be on hold during the olympics.

To sum your question up. Yes the olympics will put a damper on other sport coverage on KSDK which is where KTVI and especailly KMOV will prosper.

they said on both this past sunday that it was their last broadcast until after the olympics. I could see sports plus being put on hold since NBC typically doesn't end olympic coverage until 11 or so on the prime time shows, but sunday morning at 10, I don't remember NBC ever having the olympics on at that time. that is unless they are going with live stuff in the morning with China being 11 hours ahead of St louis time.

Here's KUSA's Olympic logo:

kusa.jpg

Peacock looks a bit domineering.

And NBC made crap-jobs for KNTV and KNSD (the latter is more justified as their regular logo would look awkward with the Olympic rings).

kntv.jpgknsd.jpg

And the award for most awkward Olympic logo goes to NBC's crown jewel: WNBC:

wnbc.jpg

Here's KUSA's Olympic logo:

kusa.jpg

Peacock looks a bit domineering.

And NBC made crap-jobs for KNTV and KNSD (the latter is more justified as their regular logo would look awkward with the Olympic rings).

kntv.jpgknsd.jpg

And the award for most awkward Olympic logo goes to NBC's crown jewel: WNBC:

wnbc.jpg

I'm surprised that they didn't incorporate the new NBC Bay Area logo into KNTV's Olympic logo.

What really bugs me about WNYT's local coverage is when their late Local news comes on after the olympics, their open still said "Live at 11", and that bothers me, because they know they will be on later than 11. IDK why they don't call it "NewsChannel 13 after the Olympics" or something.

But at about 11:30 they did do a breif news update then got back to the Olympics, I thought it was interesting; they should have done one closer to 11, incase people turned on the channel for news (not realizing the olympics were on).

Archived