Gannett GX Changes

first on fox

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So WBIR will be getting new graphics that feature some effects by Pyburn Films. Now this is going to be exciting.

I am predicting that WBIR could debut the new graphics sometime in September because WBIR is getting a new 5:00pm interactive newscast and "Live at Five" is moving to 4:00pm with a new name because "Live at Five" does not fit at 4:00pm.

I will give all of you an update around that time to see if WBIR debuted the new graphics.

I already have a strong feeling about what variant of the new graphics package KXTV will be getting... Weird, though... because they recently got a new (HD, but they're still stuck in SD) graphics package from VDO.

Seriously though, now show producers are going to be responsible for graphics production in addition to stacking/writing the show? That sucks... and you can bet they're not going to get paid a dime more for the trouble. I'd also guess this is Gannett making a similar move as Media-General did last year when it also centralized its graphics production, pretty much obliterating graphics departments in all of the local stations.

First NBC, then M-G and now Gannett. If I were a local TV station graphic designer, I'd start to get worried...

I already have a strong feeling about what variant of the new graphics package KXTV will be getting... Weird, though... because they recently got a new (HD, but they're still stuck in SD) graphics package from VDO.

Seriously though, now show producers are going to be responsible for graphics production in addition to stacking/writing the show? That sucks... and you can bet they're not going to get paid a dime more for the trouble. I'd also guess this is Gannett making a similar move as Media-General did last year when it also centralized its graphics production, pretty much obliterating graphics departments in all of the local stations.

First NBC, then M-G and now Gannett. If I were a local TV station graphic designer, I'd start to get worried...

I still think hubbing is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea. You lose the ability to really be flexible with your appearance and compete with the other stations in town. I don't think that it's a coincidence that when NBC started hubbing, WCAU virtually lost that agressive image that made them a strong competitor with PVI.

This is one of the main reasons that I decided the path I was going to go in - TV graphic design - is really not for me.

Yeah, I know - money talks in this climate. I'm not against a corporate look per se - I think some of them are some of the best graphics out there - and I'm certainly not against a Pyburn-designed package. (There, I avoided use of the term!)

It's just the oxymoron that is "doing more with less". We have 10 people now doing the job of 30. I will place money on the fact that the new, hubbed looks will not look nearly as good as the old, unhubbed looks.

I can tell that KSDK's Creative Services was starting to have fun producing HD graphics, now most (if not all of them) aren't even at KSDK any more.

This should be interesting. KSDK gets a refreshed look to compete with KMOV's "Belo" HD-Package.

From what I hear the change over will occur in October - at least at Cleveland's WKYC (NBC). They currently do their graphics in-house, and they're not the nicest I've seen. I assume they will go back to a blue theme (they're currently amber). Blue looks much nicer on air, especially in HD.

Anyone know if set changes or a specific music package will accompany this change?

Did sombody say Pyburns???!!! *cough cough*

Pyburns -- yes, Pyburns -- are coming to most, if not ALL Gannett-owned stations. For example, if you're an Atlantan, you'd better not be surprised if WXIA starts lookin' like WNBC. And W*USA is gonna be copying off KYW (former graphics).

• 1 month later...

A source at KARE just confirmed to me that all the Gannett stations will have the same graphics, and even the same open...just personalized for their market/talent. She said that they just shot the new opens yesterday, and that they would probably debut sometime soon. So, that classic KARE that Minnesota knows and loves, will be changing soon. Maybe for the better, or for the worse.

From what I hear the change over will occur in October - at least at Cleveland's WKYC (NBC). They currently do their graphics in-house, and they're not the nicest I've seen. I assume they will go back to a blue theme (they're currently amber). Blue looks much nicer on air, especially in HD.

Anyone know if set changes or a specific music package will accompany this change?

Thank God they're gettin' new ones! Hooray!

Thank God they're gettin' new ones! Hooray!

Overall WKYC's graphics are ok. I really like their intros with the sponsorships and what not. Right now I think its Lincoln and its flows really well into the newscast.

This is what I mean.

As far as KSDK, I'm excited. They're alright now, but they don't hold a candle to what KMOV has with the Belo graphics. It will be interesting to see what it looks like.

Overall WKYC's graphics are ok. I really like their intros with the sponsorships and what not. Right now I think its Lincoln and its flows really well into the newscast.

This is what I mean.

As far as KSDK, I'm excited. They're alright now, but they don't hold a candle to what KMOV has with the Belo graphics. It will be interesting to see what it looks like.

At first I wasn't the biggest fan of their graphics when they debuted, but I've grown to like them.

I'm going to especially miss their morning open:

I've read that Gannett was going to have a test station before the other 22 stations adopt the new graphics. Does anyone know if this has happened?

At first I wasn't the biggest fan of their graphics when they debuted, but I've grown to like them.

I'm going to especially miss their morning open:

I've read that Gannett was going to have a test station before the other 22 stations adopt the new graphics. Does anyone know if this has happened?

I liked their morning open too. Really wasn't a fan of their lower 3rd though.

I don't think this has happened yet but if it does, I imagine KUSA will be the test station, since the graphics dept for the new Gannett look will be based there.

Archived