Gannett GX Changes

first on fox

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm watching KARE 11 News at 4 and they've got the new graphics, but have kept their custom theme.

I am SOOOOO glad they kept it for now. But I was told by the station that they were getting the new, crappy, Gannett music. I hope this isn't just temp. for KARE. If they keep their old theme, great!

Bummer. I loved that theme that KUSA had.

Me too. I was just back in Denver last week, and hearing that theme and bumper was like hearing an old friend.

KARE's music seemed to fit the new graphic scheme well. Knowing what a problem people here in the Twin Cities would have with that crappy (and aggressive) theme, I wouldn't be surprised if KARE would be allowed to be an exception to the rule. KARE is quite the cash cow for Gannett, from what I understand.

well the new gx and music made it to KSDK. with a little twist to the annoying twang... the NBC chimes found a spot in there. it's really an upgrade music wise from where they were IMO, however they used the red... it's too much red IMO, showing that they are the Cardinals station. Also the changing logo's between the 5 and ksdk.com are too large IMO, but all in all it could have been worse, it's going to take some getting used to, that's for sure.

here's the new 7 day forecast look, no more 5 day then the extra 2 added in.

five_day.jpg

All the K's have changed, only WBIR, WCSH/WLBZ, WGRZ, WTLV/WJXX, WXIA/WATL are left. I wonder who will be last to change, WBIR, the Jacksonville duo, or the Maine duo? I put my money on the Maine duo, since they have oldest theme.

Add Buffalo's Channel 2 to the list. Look on WGRZ's Video site under WNY continues to have highest gas prices....

And here's the opening from Tonight's 6pm Newscast.

[yt]DO9Oi8ySvCw[/yt]

Video Courtesy of blazenbee from YT

EDIT: Okay, on their video from their site, they're using the blue for their gas prices slate, but uses red for their opening graphics. This is the first time I've seen the station using both red & blue.

I think these graphics are too flashy for many markets. Why couldn't they just got GO to update the previous Gannett package (used on WUSA/KSDK)?

I know it makes things easier for them to have one graphics hub, but I don't think all of America is ready for these over-the-top graphics. Hopefully other companies don't do what Gannett is doing.

Add Buffalo's Channel 2 to the list. Look on WGRZ's Video site under WNY continues to have highest gas prices....

And here's the opening from Tonight's 6pm Newscast.

[yt]DO9Oi8ySvCw[/yt]

Video Courtesy of blazenbee from YT

EDIT: Okay, on their video from their site, they're using the blue for their gas prices slate, but uses red for their opening graphics. This is the first time I've seen the station using both red & blue.

Of course I was in class and unable to get a cap when they decided to change...:)

The Rundown and the logo look too out of place--hopefully Gannet can modify those elements with the new GFX style soon. Too bad they couldn't get the station a new set while they were at it.

Not the worst thing in the world but seems cheap and uninspired. Same with the looping bumper chime. Love it or hate it that laser pulse sound is the only thing really defining about the music, other than its general ominous quality. "Your apocalypse information center starts now" Opening animation resembles the Today Show.

Well, WCSH now has the new look. The station logo and the "NewsCenter" logo remains the same, and they adopted the blue variant of the graphics. The NBC-chimed version of the "music" is also being used.

Well, WCSH now has the new look. The station logo and the "NewsCenter" logo remains the same, and they adopted the blue variant of the graphics. The NBC-chimed version of the "music" is also being used.

Now, this is just sad as hell that they had to drop their longtime music. It's like you have to look at the longevity of a station using the same music package for a long period of time and when they go with something completely different, folks would be outraged. I wouldn't be shocked if the folks from southern Maine would get pissed later on tonight after they view those over-the-top flashy graphics and hear that shitty music.

I have a summer home up in Southern Maine...can anyone get some screencaps and/or video of the new WCSH open? I'm sure many Mainers miss "Good News" already!

Here are a few screenshots... two from the generic "NewsCenter" open, and two from the WCSH-specific re-join. (The station-specific re-join animates like the WGRZ open already posted - the generic opens begin with the logo already on-screen as opposed to being "wiped" on.)

So far, they've managed to avoid using cues of the theme that prominently use that loud, obnoxious ticker-type noise. It does look like they were trying to tone the look down a little, which is definitely good. (I feared that they were going to debut a completely new logo.) Personally, I'm definitely going to miss "Good News" - the signature is one of my first memories about local TV. At least today they ran the usual IDs with it in the background, though I'm sure new ones are probably coming.

WCSH02.jpg.039bc9a4d1e22662c038280a17c9cb3c.jpg

WCSH03.jpg.2d1f055a7a2a4d95b61cd330de034ecb.jpg

WCSH04.jpg.ee56684cb02434955722b92371b5f0c5.jpg

WCSH05.jpg.fd694375afa5694ab6fdaf9b7a1938a5.jpg

Archived