Anchoring on location

cityprod

Apart from your network anchors, do US local news anchors ever anchor on location. Here in the South West of the UK, both regional news maagzines have anchored from Ottery St mary, scene of a freak weather event, 4 inches of rain in an hour, followed by about a foot of hailstones, spending just about the whole programme on location.

Have any local news shows abeen achored on location instead of in the studio?

KATU news has there anchors out in locations quite a lot. Most recently at a local dessert restuarant talking about the economy. They have done it from downtown festivals as well. A few weeks ago there was a big landslide and they anchored from that.

KUSI has a Multi Purpose Outdoor Desk which I think looks better then the News Desk. looks Modern but they use it when they anchor for Opening Day for the Del Mar Horse Races as well as the Car Show at the Convention Center and Petco Park Opening Day

KNSD's yearly Car Show at the Convention Center

XETV opening day at Petco Park

Election Night....

All SD TV Stations: KSWB, XETV, KNSD, KFMB, KUSI, KGTV, KPBS, KBNT/XHAS

and Radio Stations: KOGO and KPBS Radio set up Election Sets right next to each other at San Diego's Golden Hall (a mini convention facility) which is next door to City Hall for Election Central which is pretty cool. The County Registrar of Voters rents the hall to distribute election results. Supporters and political observers are invited to watch the results come in, candidates are sometimes on the floor or at near by Hotels while they give out speeches and await their victory.

The only "on location" anchoring in the Anchorage market is on election night at "Election Central" downtown. Like I said in another thread, it is THE place to be seen on election night, it is a huge party.

UPDATE:

Here is our set at "Election Central"

Anchor Desk:

MainDesk.jpg

Interview Area:

OffStageInterviewArea.jpg

Audience View:

AreaShot.jpg

KSN in Joplin, as part of their "Hometown News" image and slogan has anchors on location often - from downtown shops, to street side cafes, the mall, various community events, or even just for the heck of it. They really go everywhere, they've even anchored from the parking lot of the station on warm spring days just because it was nice outside. For Labor Day they always anchor from one of the reporter's backyards. And usually, when they do take the anchors live - they take everyone live, news, weather, and sports, and sometimes they even bring reporters along if it's a news-worthy event to report from different parts of the on-location shoot. KSN also carries a local parade called "The Maple Leaf" in Carthage live every year with anchors hosting, reporters on the street, and then of course the remainder of the team, both on and off air walking.

In the Twin Cities KSTP, KMSP, & KARE were at the Republican National Convention. Those three also do newscasts live from the Minnesota State Fair when that is going on. Then all the stations did newscasts from the 35W Bridge the morning after it collasped.

WBAY used to do their [iIRC, 5 and 6P] newscasts on location from the EAA Fly-ins [here in Oshkosh] until several years ago. I miss those days quite a bit.

WGBA used to have a slogan until the Journal buyout---"Going Places". Indeed, some [complete?] newscasts were done on location. I remember them coming to the Grand Opera House [once again, here in Oshkosh] to do a show while we were rehearsing for our sesquicentennial-tied musical [i ran followspot for all the performances]. They were talking about the ghosts that allegedly haunt the Grand [i don't think it's haunted--and I've been in their basement!].

That's the only time I remember a local station having a broadcast outside the studio.

Actually, for many years WISN had a studio at Summerfest complete with seating for a sizeable audience. They'd do light news, toss to the studio for the hard stuff, and come back for weather and sports... it was good TV.

WDJT did their 5pm (and possibly 6pm) newscast from there for awhile as well. They would hand out cardboard fans saying "I'm a CBS 58 News Fan!". (They still hand out such fans... but now they're for Ten at 10:00 or MeTV)

Also of note, I believe WITI, WISN, and WDJT anchored newscasts from County Stadium at some point before it closed and WTMJ may have done one from Miller Park as it opened.

For a short time, WDJT tried out a format on their Morning News Express where they had one anchor in the studio and one out on location covering a major event but also reading other news stories from that location. Unfortunately, it was not a real ratings winner and the idea was dumped.

It's not uncommon for us to put an anchor in the field. If there are enough angles to the story to put together an entire segment, and if there is a guarantee that there will be something visually interesting going on behind the anchor during the newscast, then why not?

Archived