True High Definition

l14dap

WPLG is launching news in "true HD" in a couple weeks time--the second in the nation.

So my question, what exactly distinguishes "true HD" from just regular HD? Is there a difference, or is it nothing more than a marketing gimmick (sorta like "HDTV antennas")?

Studio and remotes, field video, weather, graphics, chopper are all in HD. The only SD video is archived video and video from other sources. WRAL was the first station to do everything in HD.

So essentially for a bulk of the stations broadcasting news in HD, the only thing that's missing are a full set of HD field cameras (assuming they don't have a copter)?

So essentially for a bulk of the stations broadcasting news in HD, the only thing that's missing are a full set of HD field cameras (assuming they don't have a copter)?

It's more likely they have HD field cameras but are unable to do remotes in full HD. Doing remotes in full HD via microwave is still pretty rare.

• 2 weeks later...
Studio and remotes, field video, weather, graphics, chopper are all in HD. The only SD video is archived video and video from other sources. WRAL was the first station to do everything in HD.

I could have sworn KABC and KCBS/KCAL also do true HD...their remotes are HD, their weather, graphics, chooper are all in HD.

• 2 weeks later...
To me, True HD news = marketing gimmick.

When I think of true HD, I think of 1080p.

Which is also a marketing gimmick.

720p or 1080i is no less "true HD" than 1080p. Especially considering that 1080p can only be implemented with a Blu-ray player over shielded, high-bandwidth HDMI cable. Nothing OTA or through sat/cab/fttp, except FiOS might be offering 1080p On Demand soon from what I hear -- they're the only ones with enough bandwidth on their network.

Nothing OTA or through sat/cab/fttp' date=' except FiOS might be offering 1080p On Demand soon from what I hear -- they're the only ones with enough bandwidth on their network.[/quote']

Actually, Dish Network and DirecTV are offering 1080p video on demand--it's just pulled down to a DVR-equipped receiver via an internet connection and not through the satellite. I don't even think Verizon wants to bother hogging that much bandwidth by adding a linear 1080p channel (not that one even exists yet) on their FiOS systems.

As far as some of the "true HD" stations being thrown around this thread, some of it is correct. I do believe WRAL was the first completely high definition newsroom in the country, thanks to a partnership with Panasonic where the station served as a test bed for the early generation of DVCPRO HD camcorders and decks (they've since transitioned to a Sony XDCAM HD tapeless workflow).

It would be interesting to compile a list of stations who are actually acquiring video in HD in the field and HD live shots as well, but I don't think that kind of information is as readily available as it should be.

Actually, Dish Network and DirecTV are offering 1080p video on demand--it's just pulled down to a DVR-equipped receiver via an internet connection and not through the satellite. I don't even think Verizon wants to bother hogging that much bandwidth by adding a linear 1080p channel (not that one even exists yet) on their FiOS systems.

Didn't know that about Dish and DirecTV. Even still, that's over IP and not over the service they actually provide -- I doubt you're pulling anything remotely close to that with HughesNet.

As for FiOS, nationwide they're running at 20-25% bandwidth capacity. So they'd actually be quite all right for linear 1080p.

I'm surprised that FiOS doesn't carry 16:9 SD channels that are available, such as BBC World News. I guess there isn't any demand for it, but I'd like it...

Well apparently, Super Hi Vision and Ultra HD is currently in the experimental phases in Japan. I don't see it being available in this country at least until some time by the end of the 2010s decade, but at the rate of how technology is advancing exponentially, I wouldn't be suprised to see it sooner. By the end of the 2010s decade, i'm expecting that all of the TV we are watching will be in HD and it will become the new standard. And Widescreen will now be the new standard in TV as oppsed to Full Screen.

• 3 months later...
Well apparently, Super Hi Vision and Ultra HD is currently in the experimental phases in Japan. I don't see it being available in this country at least until some time by the end of the 2010s decade, but at the rate of how technology is advancing exponentially, I wouldn't be suprised to see it sooner. By the end of the 2010s decade, i'm expecting that all of the TV we are watching will be in HD and it will become the new standard. And Widescreen will now be the new standard in TV as oppsed to Full Screen.

I can hear it now. This is News Whatever at 11 in Super Hi Vision Ultra HD!

Archived