KTLA expands newscasts again

fan of la tv

Today on Prime News, KTLA announced they are expanding the Morning News to start at 4:30am. Also, they are starting a new newscast from 1pm to 2pm, starting April 1. They said this is no April Fools joke. Seems KTLA is really expanding on non-traditional times and of late it seems that their product is improving but I would still like to see some more credible anchors. No announcement was made on who was anchoring the new 1pm newscast.

Damn. the whole Day in News is filled up in LA.

KCAL at Noon

KTLA from 1 to 2

KCAL 2 to 4

All News at 5 and 6

KTLA at 6:30

Break at 7pm

KCAL News at 8,9 then at 10

I don't know about a 1pm newscast. I mean a noon newscast to compete with KCAL and KTTV would be better. Well see how long that lasts. I mean the 6:30pm and 4:30am news is a good idea, but news at 1pm? Please.

Today on Prime News' date=' KTLA announced they are expanding the Morning News to start at 4:30am. Also, they are starting a new newscast from 1pm to 2pm, starting April 1. They said this is no April Fools joke. Seems KTLA is really expanding on non-traditional times and of late it seems that their product is improving but I would still like to see some more credible anchors. No announcement was made on who was anchoring the new 1pm newscast.[/quote']

The magic of Don Corsini, who advanced the whole non-traditional news format with KCAL. Who knows, maybe KTLA may be more news centric. For one thing, I would seriously consider bringing the station back to its old luster (the Hal Fishman days) by focusing on real news, not car chases, entertainment, octomom, Paris Hilton and any other California oddities. I would also dump the Vegas.com segment. But good job and perhaps KTLA could redeem itself from all the criticism it's gotten.

I don't know about a 1pm newscast. I mean a noon newscast to compete with KCAL and KTTV would be better. Well see how long that lasts. I mean the 6:30pm and 4:30am news is a good idea, but news at 1pm? Please.

KCAL's newscasts at 2:00pm and 3:00pm (originally 3:30pm) must be doing fairly well, seeing as they've been around for at least a decade now. I've always been curious as to how a newscast at 1:00pm would do, so I'm definitely interested in seeing how this experiment works out.

Seems that KTLA also did some minor graphic tweaks to go along with their new newscasts. The bug in the lower right hand corner is different as well as their lower thirds. Its now a white backgraound with black text.

I also always wondered how a 1pm newscast would do. Its uncommon in the US but in Europe the BBC has a 1pm newscast.

Damn. the whole Day in News is filled up in LA.

KCAL at Noon

KTLA from 1 to 2

KCAL 2 to 4

All News at 5 and 6

KTLA at 6:30

Break at 7pm

KCAL News at 8,9 then at 10

KCAL is 2-3:30 PM not 4 PM. Inside Edition airs at 3:30 PM then back to news from 4-5.

The only weekday times without local newscasts are 10:30-11 AM, 3:30-4 PM and 7-8 PM between 4:30 AM and 11:35 PM. KCOP use to air news 11 PM until Midnight but now ends at 11:30 PM since it became Fox News at 11.

KTLA in the 70's use to air a 2 PM newscast with Larry McCormick.

In the LA Times article it also mentions that KTLA will be starting a 6:30pm weekend newscast with Cher Calvin and Lu Parker.
Lately KNBC has been airing infomercials on Saturday and Sunday nights from 6:30-7 PM (Malibu Polaties) in place of the second 1/2 hour of local news. On a recent Saturday night in March, even KABC and KCBS aired infomercials in that 1/2 hour so it's ripe for some kind of decent programming.

Boy, that's was surprise. The last time LA had a 1 PM Newscast was in 1990. KHJ-TV had a 30 minute newscast at the time. This was before the the station would be come KCAL-TV California 9 when the Walt Disney Company bought the station in 1988.

My next question? Is it me KTLA News spread too thin? I mean 4:30a.m.-10a.m; 1P.M, 6:30P.M.; and 10P.M.flagship and the station didn't hire new reporters or anchors. When the station created the KTLA Morning the station bulk up its staff to rival 2, 4, 7 and 9. But this along with sister station WGN in Chicago is weakening their product.

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight should be a good night for KTLA's Saturday 6:30 PM News. CBS 2, NBC 4 and ABC 7 are all airing infomercials. Channel 4's is the worst case since it is in place of the second 1/2 hour of the 6 PM Saturday Channel 4 News.

Actually, I've been watching KTLA News @ 10 instead of FOX 11 lately and have been pretty impressed...seems like their product has improved a ton...Still haven't warmed up too much with Leila F., I really liked Terry Anzur and Lynette Romero...Cher Calvin, I think is a better fit as a reporter @ 10 than early morning news anchor...also, saw that Dave Mecham is there...did he jump over with Don C. from KCBS/KCAL...as for tonight's weekend news, so far so good...was shocked to see the post above...paid programing on all the newtwork o&o's...wow

Tell me about it. That's even worse than WNBC in New York airing paid programming for a half hour during the day.
KNBC does that most weekdays from 11:30-12 during what should be, and is some days, the second half of the 11 AM midday Channel 4 News.

Lately KNBC has been airing infomercials on Saturday and Sunday nights from 6:30-7 PM (Malibu Polaties) in place of the second 1/2 hour of local news. On a recent Saturday night in March, even KABC and KCBS aired infomercials in that 1/2 hour so it's ripe for some kind of decent programming.

Don't tell me KABC cancelled Eye on LA.

Don't tell me KABC cancelled Eye on LA.
It's still on most weeks. But I have seen an infomercial air in its time period twice over the last two months. Ironically, the same weekends that all three network O&O's were airing infomercials in that time slot. Collusion?

• 2 weeks later...
Seems that KTLA also did some minor graphic tweaks to go along with their new newscasts. The bug in the lower right hand corner is different as well as their lower thirds. Its now a white backgraound with black text.

I also always wondered how a 1pm newscast would do. Its uncommon in the US but in Europe the BBC has a 1pm newscast.

Yeah, and these new graphics are pretty cool too!! Do you know the name for the music they're using for the 1pm newscast and where I can find it, by any chance?

Archived