WHDH Ditching Leno at 10PM, Running News Instead

TSSZNews

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop posting in this thread, plx. We've had a very active discussion here for days now.

I'd advise you to search before posting, but this other discussion has literally been at the top of General TV for some time. So I guess just look before posting, m'kay?

Stop posting in this thread' date=' plx. We've had a very active discussion here for days now.

I'd advise you to search before posting, but this other discussion has literally been at the top of General TV for some time. So I guess just look before posting, m'kay?

Sam, you've linked to this exact same thread. Did the other offending thread get merged into this one?

That aside...

Hearst already owns another VHF station in the Boston market, WMUR in Manchester which is currently a secondary ABC affiliate for the market. What if the NBC affiliation were to go over to WMUR? It would, of course, keep its news coverage focused on the New Hampshire area, but this would at least give NBC somewhat of a fighting chance in the market by moving the affiliation to a more established station.

Realistically though, I agree that the most likely scenario is NBC turning WNEU or WWDP into the NBC O&O affiliate for the market. WNEU's transmitter is located in New Hampshire, however, and barely provides a grade B signal to the Boston metro area, while WWDP's transmitter is located just south of Boston and provides a decent coverage area. The fact that they might have to do some significant reengineering to WNEU's signal (it appears to me that they'd have to move the transmitter and COL somewhere else) might influence which one of those two stations gets NBC in the event they yank it from WHDH.

I have a difficult time understanding why WHDH wouldn't at least give the Leno program a chance. It's not like their 11pm news is lighting up the ratings charts. Do they really think they'd fare any better against the FOX25 10:00 show?

Maybe Ansin is trying to gain leverage in renegotiating their affiliate agreement...?

LMAO! WHDH "7NBC" has been one of the worst NBC affiliates in recent history. Just by looking at what Ed Asinine (yeah I know his name is Ansin) did in Miami in the late 80's he is well on his way of having an independent station on his hands and sh*t up the creek loss in revenue via NBC dropping paying him again. When is this man going to learn if you are going to play the game with the big dogs have a dog that can do some serious damage in your corner not some Chihuahua that can be slapped out the way like a fly?

WHDH is getting paid by NBC not the other way around, so if they are paying him should realize that they also did their homework when submitting their contract with Ansin/Sunbeam in 1995. I'll be personally happy to see NBC drop them like a bad habit just to see Ansin look like the FOOL again.

In all likelihood NBC will make WNEU its new affiliate because they own them outright and allow ZGS to operate as a Telemundo station. Whereas with WWDP, NBC Universal only owns 30% and the other 70% is owned by ValueVision Media. NBCU at this point and time isn't looking to pay anybody else or barter with an outside company to allow its programming to be broadcasted into the Boston-Manchester market. It 10 times easier to have your own shop that you can control, operate, and program the way you want rather than having to oversee somebody else do what you want done. The only problem they'll have in this economy is starting a news operation on that station considering as everyone on the board has mentioned or seen how they are cutting left and right at their already established O&Os.

However, who knows they might just repurchase WJAR from those idiots at Media General just to get their programming on an O&O back on the air in Boston if all else fails.

Since it appears to run to or through 2016, I don't think so. Sounds more like he's trying to get out of it.

Well, I wish him the best (NOT!). Since the ratings are going down with "7News" so much across the board he would want to keep that extra money in this economy. NBC should have known from their past dealings with Ansin that he would pull this stunt, so they are getting burnt again.

I'll be personally happy to see NBC drop them like a bad habit just to see Ansin look like the FOOL again.

Ansin is no fool. By affiliating with Fox, WSVN is now the highest rated (if not, it's close #2 behind WPLG) station in Miami. NBC is the fool there.

It 10 times easier to have your own shop that you can control, operate, and program the way you want rather than having to oversee somebody else do what you want done.

But 10 times more expensive to own too. See the WTVJ effect.

However, who knows they might just repurchase WJAR from those idiots at Media General just to get their programming on an O&O back on the air in Boston if all else fails.

NBC is only interested in what they have at this moment: 2 UHFs and interest from 3 mystery stations (presumably WZMY, WMFP, and/or WNEU)

It's not like their 11pm news is lighting up the ratings charts.

That's why he's making an issue of it. If his ratings are falling with established slot leaders like ER and Law and Order, imagine what will happen with Leno?

Ansin is no fool. By affiliating with Fox, WSVN is now the highest rated (if not, it's close #2 behind WPLG) station in Miami. NBC is the fool there.

But 10 times more expensive to own too. See the WTVJ effect.

NBC is only interested in what they have at this moment: 2 UHFs and interest from 3 mystery stations (presumably WZMY, WMFP, and/or WNEU)

That's why he's making an issue of it. If his ratings are falling with established slot leaders like ER and Law and Order, imagine what will happen with Leno?

I see what you mean, but Boston isn't Miami, which is a huge Spanish-speaking market, hence why the Telemundo and Univision stations have been trading places as #1 and #2 in the market overall. Also, think about it Miami is also a much different and larger place than it was in the late 1980s, so we are applying that logic to what happened then.

Yeah, owning the station is more costly to the network but the point here is make more in the long run which apparently in the Boston-WHDH situation it looks as if NBC is more at loss than gain. NBC is paying Ansin to affiliate the station, so they would actually lose more money if Ansin continues to break contract with them. Finally, I was just joking about the latter because I know that the last statement is last minute ditch effort that wouldn't likely happen anyways.

From what I've seen of WHDH, it's no wonder they're third. I just don't see ADD, sensationalized news working in a market like Boston.

If the affiliation is dropped, I think NBC would just use one of the UHF affiliates. The fact that the WCVB affiliation ends this year is very interesting...it's unlikely HA would do it, but if NBC sweetens the deal, I wouldn't rule it out. NBC has a lot to gain by trying to affiliate with WCVB.

And it actually covers most of New England, unlike some of the other suggestions (WMUR, WNEU, WZMY, or WMFP). Plus, NBC would be moving up to first-place overall and second-place at 11.*

*11 o'clock is led by my favorite Boston station, WBZ.

EDIT: Another idea - what if NBC buys WSBK from CBS and makes it an affiliate?

EDIT: Another idea - what if NBC buys WSBK from CBS and makes it an affiliate?

This idea has been floated on other boards, but I just don't understand it. What would be in it for CBS? Wouldn't they (1) rather see NBC on some obscure channel; and (2) have The CW upgraded to a 'better' station? I just can't see CBS selling in any of their duopoly markets.

A tidy sum of cash would be in it for CBS, which would be good for them in the economic downturn. Also, CBS could then focus completely on WBZ and try to make it number one in the market.

NBC gets the same level of regional penetration in New England, and also gets viewership in Canada because WSBK is carried by some cable providers up there.

A tidy sum of cash would be in it for CBS, which would be good for them in the economic downturn. Also, CBS could then focus completely on WBZ and try to make it number one in the market.

NBC gets the same level of regional penetration in New England, and also gets viewership in Canada because WSBK is carried by some cable providers up there.

CBS is already trying to make WBZ number one in the market. Having NBC move to an obscure channel helps. A tidy sum could be acquired by selling the 'singleton' stations: WUPA/Atlanta, KSTW/Seattle, WTOG/Tampa, KCNC/Denver, WGNT/Norfolk, among a few others.

CBS has been building an empire in Boston (home to majority owner Sumner Redstone) in recent years. CBS Scene, acquiring exclusive rights to the Boston Marathon, producing the July 4th festivities for the network, buying rights to New England Patriots exhibition games and other team-produced programming. Having WSBK was a 'selling point' in achieving many of these deals.

Once upon a time, this page on WHDH.com held the announcement about 7News at 10pm, coming this fall to WHDH TV. Today, that page is gone. Likewise, they seem to have pulled all mention of it from their websites, and accounts on Facebook.

Perhaps Channel 7 is trying to climb down from this looming debacle?

Does WJAR's signal reach the Boston market? I guess viewers can watch Leno on that station, but it isn't carried on cable or satellite. This a prime reason cable and satellite subscribers should be allowed to have more than one network affiliate.

If it went independent, WHDH would just add local news from 7-9am and at 6:30pm replacing Today and NBC Nightly News. They'd probably replace primetime with local news as well or put The CW on Channel 7 from 8-10pm. They would only have 3 hours of NBC daytime programming to replace (2 hours of Today, Days of Our Lives) plus the NBC late night schedule.

They also would have the option of bringing over some of WLVI's syndicated programming to fill the gaps from losing NBC shows.

The market's NBC affiliation will not go to WCVB. It makes absolutely no sense for a station ownership group to have a station voluntarily leave a network with a relatively stable slate for one without a primetime program in the top 20 and a head-in-the-sand mentality. What's more is that NBC offers up no daytime programming worth watching.

By leaving the network, Ansin can expand news in the morning and capture every dollar of revenue, instead of a split with the network. He can also do the same in primetime.

NBC's national ratings are such that in this instance, the affiliate is what makes the network strong, not the other way around. If Ansin is successful look for other NBC affiliates with decent ratings to bail ship as well.

You're going to see the KRON example come up a lot, but WHDH has much more in common with WJXT or KTVK than KRON.

The market's NBC affiliation will not go to WCVB. It makes absolutely no sense for a station ownership group to have a station voluntarily leave a network with a relatively stable slate for one without a primetime program in the top 20 and a head-in-the-sand mentality. What's more is that NBC offers up no daytime programming worth watching.

By leaving the network, Ansin can expand news in the morning and capture every dollar of revenue, instead of a split with the network. He can also do the same in primetime.

NBC's national ratings are such that in this instance, the affiliate is what makes the network strong, not the other way around. If Ansin is successful look for other NBC affiliates with decent ratings to bail ship as well.

You're going to see the KRON example come up a lot, but WHDH has much more in common with WJXT or KTVK than KRON.

I agree. WCVB and WMUR have always been strong ABC affiliates. Why would they want NBC? CBS will not be interested in selling WSBK to NBC. NBC can switch to its already owned station WNEU. The only loss is of having NBC on an established station with a local news department. Being on VHF station is no long an advantage with the digital switch and the majority of stations being UHF.

Can they put the CW lineup on an independent channel?? I guess so right?!?!

To whom would this be an option? NBC sure as hell won't let Ansin put the network on Channel 56. Ansin sure as hell won't sell it to NBC -- he likely bought the station from Tribune as insurance should NBC want to disaffiliate from him. Should WHDH lose NBC, he'd probably move the CW to 7 but either way he'd have one netlet among two television stations.

From what I'm getting from this thread, is that there isn't much of a desire for a big affiliation flip in Boston. CBS is satisfied with the stations it owns, and I presume Fox is with WFXT as well. Hearst is satisfied with ABC on WCVB, right? So, there's not a network for WHDH to steal away should NBC cancel the affiliation. Does this sum up the background so far in Boston?

Hearst is satisfied with ABC on WCVB, right?

That is the million dollar question. Do Hearst feel good with ABC or do they want to take the risk on NBC, If NBC offers a pretty good to awesome deal? NBC is in a bad spot in Boston. From what I hear. (If I am wrong, sorry.) The two stations that NBC owns are rim shot stations meaning they won't cover all or the Boston area like WHDH. They would have to start a news operation from scratch at a time where NBC doesn't want to add any more debt to there books. The point I am trying to make is NBC is stuck with Ansin and If he really want to pull the deal off, he's in the position of strength. NBC is stuck with no real good options on the table. Now I have heard that VHF is off so it won't matter. Kind of .... It not the number, it's the legacy of the station and the more established news operation. I know WHDH doesn't have a good news operation I have heard on this board it is embarrassing but it's better than no operation at all for NBC. They don't want to be a WWJ-TV situation in anyway in New England.

Archived