WABC's 720p Subchannel

DMA

So WABC is going to air "LiveWellHD" on DT-2 as a 720p channel, along with the rest of the O&Os. They've already launched the 720p channel on DT-2, simulcasting Eyewitness News. As a result, both channels look like 16:9 SD, the compression is hideous, and nearly unwatchable.

Before:

eyetvsnapshot1075.th.jpg

eyetvsnapshot893.th.jpg

After:

eyetvsnapshot1122.th.jpg

eyetvsnapshot1115.th.jpg

It really does look SD...

It really does look SD...

It might as well be. If you take the nearly 20Mbps DTV broadcasts on, divide it for two 720p channels and subtract another SD channel, you might even be ending up under the 640x480 resolution of SDTV. If anything, WABC now has the resolution of a high-quality internet stream.

:ack:

I read somewhere that it's 10MB/S for 7-1, 6MB/S for 7-2, and 2 MB/S for 7-3. Even at 10 minutes, the picture looks soft, and even shows artifacting on the OTS shots. Really stupid move by ABC...have the other O&Os done it yet?

Yeah, those images are disgusting, I won't be watching that.. Its unwatchable, and its kinda like going back to the 90s and using an old analog antenna, they need to get more bandwidth.

They can't "get" more bandwidth...the only solution is taking 7.3 down, but that's not going to happen. I don't think it's suitable to call it "HD" anymore...it may have the 720p resolution, yet the image fidelity is atrocious...does WLS or WPVI have it yet?

It's 720p, but not really HD fidelity...OTA, Cable, Sat, it's all the same feed, so they're all the same. How are the other O&Os dealing with this?

According to my EyeTV, 7-1 is going out at (roughly) 7MB/S

WPVI is now doing the HD subchannel thing too. The video on 6.1 is now noticably poor with artifacts and breakup everywhere. Previously the video quality on WPVI was quite good.

I hope that whoever made this terrible decision up at Disney quickly realizes the mistake... because the HD channel is now damn near unwatchable.

I'm watching ABC 7 now its devastating, I'm recording the broadcast right now, and decided to stop it because the picture quality is horrible. Its really funny because I didn't notice it as much earlier during the day, but now its just unwatchable, and just horrible. And its not just their newscasts that its affecting, its the entire channel and network programming as well. Its just damn near unwatchable, because you're so used to the clarity and to see this really sucks. Everytime there is a movement there is a lot of pixelation. You'll notice the effect on the circle 7 bug.

As HulkieD described, there are just so many artifacts and it can best be described as a heavily compressed JPEG image. Now, it does not do it all the time, but whenever there is significant movement, you'll notice the difference. And its not just during their news broadcasts its the entire channel, all of the programming is affected by this and if they keep it like this, it'll be a huge devastating blow on their part if they don't fix it and decide to keep it like this, especially when it comes to sports programs, and network programming. I'm hoping they can realize the situation and do something fast, because its pretty much, unwatchable, for me at least.

I can also confirm that the problem is also exisiting on Channel 707 on iO Digital Cable as well, the artifacting is noticeable significantly, not as bad as the OTA, but its still there. So Cable and Satellite suscribers are probably having the same issue.

I have MLB.TV, and I can say with all honesty that the picture I can get through that is superior to the picture currently being broadcast on WPVI.

I've watched on Comcast and OTA and both are pretty bad...

The feed on Cable and Dish is the same as the OTA feed since the 2 sub channels are in the WABC-DT feed, We all get crappy PQ from WABC-DT.

If you think sports look awful just wait till the fast camera and people movement on Dancing With The Stars on Monday.

Anyone know of a general number or e-mail address where we can send complaints about the video quality?

Add me to the list of people who will not watch WABC due to the over compressed HD feed.

Thank goodness I live in one of the few major markets without an ABC O&O (though our O&O does run a bit like an O&O, circle 7 and all that, but carrying a weather channel and RTN rather than A WHOLE FREAKIN' HD FEED SUBCHANNEL)

They shouldve made it available as a seperate network is it a localized channel? Apparently it seems that all the o&os will have the same programming. Not sure if they'll put local content in it though..

LiveWell HD only has 6 shows.

According to the schedule on TitanTV infomercials will fill up the rest of the schedule airing 8am-10am, 1pm-2:30pm, 10pm-2am. I don't know if those are local or a part of the LiveWell network programming.

The only newscasts on 7.2 are 6:00 PM Eyewitness News at Six and 6:30 PM ABC World News with Charles Gibson.

I wish they would have kept World News Now 2am-3am since it does not come on till 3:06am on WABC 7.1.

You have to wonder when the economy is bad and people at abc local and network have probably lost their jobs why ABC would bother wasting money on this and lowering the video quality of the abc HD feed on their O&A stations?

LiveWell HD only has 6 shows.

According to the schedule on TitanTV infomercials will fill up the rest of the schedule airing 8am-10am, 1pm-2:30pm, 10pm-2am. I don't know if those are local or a part of the LiveWell network programming.

The only newscasts on 7.2 are 6:00 PM Eyewitness News at Six and 6:30 PM ABC World News with Charles Gibson.

I wish they would have kept World News Now 2am-3am since it does not come on till 3:06am on WABC 7.1.

You have to wonder when the economy is bad and people at abc local and network have probably lost their jobs why ABC would bother wasting money on this and lowering the video quality of the abc HD feed on their O&A stations?

I guess they have the money to spend... They are the most watched network, ratings wise... Though I did notice the video quality has improved somewhat, not as drastic and noticeable as it was in previous days, but its a bit blurry though.

Anyone else notice that the picture and sound are out of sync on the HD feed? While watching wnt earlier, I actually had to switch to the SD feed because the delay in the sound vs the image was so distracting.

I guess they have the money to spend... They are the most watched network, ratings wise... Though I did notice the video quality has improved somewhat, not as drastic and noticeable as it was in previous days, but its a bit blurry though.

IIRC, CBS or FOX are on top. I've seen it worsen, actually. I watched parts of Dancing With The Stars to see the fast movement, and it was appalling.

Here's what DWTS looked like on WSB-DT Atlanta,

http://img263.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-22133/loc9/84370_vlcsnap-2870021_122_9lo.jpg

WABC-DT's PQ was not even close to that, even the abc bug was soft.

Here's two caps of the abc logo from Jimmy Kimmel's show, first is before 7.2 went 720p the second is after.

63e11733989750.gif

Well, I guess they're gonna have to do something eventually because that is a huge difference, either they find another way to broadcast that channel, or simply remove the HD from it, because from what Iceman had noted on the WSB and WABC, that is ridiculous, and its actually kinda unfair too.

Archived