WABC's 720p Subchannel

DMA

so, if ABC wasn't so cheap and went with 1080i, would it be better? ABC/ESPN/Family's HD quality is definitely not as good as NBC and CBS

No. You get 19Mbps regardless of the resolution. If anything, 1080i would make it worse.

No. You get 19Mbps regardless of the resolution. If anything, 1080i would make it worse.

Yep, well, actually 1080i, would require a lot more bandwith hence the higher resolution. But I'm sure they'll realize the problem sooner or later if they get enough complaints.. Has anyone with an ABC O&O in their area, sent their local O&O stations complaints?

I sent an e-mail inquiring about why the video on WABC-DT 7.1 has gone soft since the addition of 7.2 as a 720p sub channel.

If I get a response I'll let you know.

No response back but WABC must have been listening to us,

Wednesday morning the video on WABC-DT kept freezing and coming back.

Since then the video on WABC-DT 7.1 looks much sharper tonight and the softness is gone.

It seems at least a meg of bandwidth was taken away from 7.3 the weather sub which is back to looking more like low quality web streamed video feed.

This is from tonight:

e6b53334208774.gif

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

Now that looks better then what we have had since last weekend.

I think WLS in Chicago might have done the same thing. The weather 7.3 looks to have had a lot of bandwidth cut from it. I watched a news rebroadcast on 7.2 the other night and noticed a lot of blockiness especially during fast movement. I don't see a way for 7.2 to be a viable HD channel with the limited bandwidth available.

They are the most watched network, ratings wise...

That is incorrect on so many levels. In fact, ABC is lucky to hit #2 Adults 18-49 on any given night. Overall viewership usually goes to CBS or FOX. FOX & CBS also battle it out for the key demos.

On what information are you basing "most watched network" status?

That is incorrect on so many levels. In fact, ABC is lucky to hit #2 Adults 18-49 on any given night. Overall viewership usually goes to CBS or FOX. FOX & CBS also battle it out for the key demos.

On what information are you basing "most watched network" status?

Well I'm actually just referring to just the New York Area, not the entire nation as a whole, lol. In the nation, of course CBS and FOX are up there...

I think WABC-DT has given more bandwidth back to 7.1.

On May 2nd, a two hour recording of WABC-DT 7.1 was 8.51 GB.

A one hour recording of WABC-DT 7.1 was 4.14 GB.

Today, a two hour recording of WABC-DT 7.1 is 10.1 GB.

A one hour recording of WABC-DT 7.1 is 5.9 GB.

Yeah, and I noticed that the programming quality on the 7.2 channel is a lot more worse than it has ever been on the 7.1 channel. Still though the 7.1 channel still shows some loss in PQ, but its not as bad as before when the channel just launched.

• 4 weeks later...

As of last week, WABC gave bandwidth back to 7.3 and 7.2 I'm guessing taking some away from 7.1.

Comparing a recording of the same show,

On May 9th, a one hour recording of WABC-DT 7.1 was 5.9 GB.

a two hour recording of WABC-DT 7.1 was s 10.1 GB.

Sunday, a one hour recording from 7.1 is now 4.53 GB.

A two hour recording from 7.1 is now 9.24 GB.

• 9 months later...

DMA can you check the bit rate of WABC-DT and the sub channels?

WABC-DT looks like it lost bandwidth again.

ABC programming looks over compressed and very soft.

Jimmy Kimmel Live looked like it was 16:9 SD Monday.

Nightline looks SD to.

During the 11pm newscast the video kept having the whole screen pixelate for a second a few times during the wide shots of the studio.

Archived