HD Radio? I think not.

abc7 Man

I am sure everyone has heard things about HD Radio. How is it HD? Isn't it just a digital signal. Like in the other post said:

All HDTV is digital, yes. However, all digital is *not* HDTV.

Isn't it just really Digital Radio and that the only reason why they call it HD Radio is to link it with HDTV so they can fight off the competing satellite radio companies? I think so.

According to Wikipedia, HD is NOT "High Definition." It is, in fact, "Hybrid Digital." The system can be used to create multiple streams or a single 5.1 surround sound stream on an FM station.

I see. Interesting.

...but I am sure that most people don't know this and the radio stations are banking on people making a comparison to HD in HDTV. It's terestrial radio's way of competing with the growing satellite radio companies.

Being in radio what they tell is...HD radio is suppose to make the sound quality of the stations better. FM is suppose to sound like a CD AM is suppose to sound like FM, Also you have the power the check out other "hidden" stations in between channels.

I own an Accurian HD Radio. Got it for $90 (after rebate and $10 off coupon) on Black Friday.

From my home in Central Virginia, I can hear the one local station (WVTF, NPR from Roanoke) quite well. I can't really tell any difference in audio quality, seeing as it is mostly talk, but I like hearing their NPR/BBC News service on their HD2 ("Radio IQ"). They also air "Exponential Radio" on HD3, though I really don't care for it.

I've also managed to DX WPAW 93.1 out of Greensboro, WRVQ 94.5 and WMXB 103.7 out of Richmond, and the faintest whiff of WUNC 91.5 from Raleigh. That's about it.

Radio should never have an analog shutoff, though I can see HD radio becoming more popular if they double the power of the digital sidebands and put some decent HD2 feeds on. WPAW and WMXB didn't have any, and the HD2 of WRVQ sounded like the same kind of music that the analog/HD1 had.

Now when I bought the radio in New Jersey, that was an experience. I think the audio did sound slightly better, though the radio itself sounds terrible. There were some decent HD2 stations going out and I did give them a listen. However, the AM stations had little or no improvement with the IBOC sidebands. The talking was slightly clearer, but the signals were pretty unreliable with the exception of WOR. I also found that FM stations from anywhere but the ESB that were perfectly clear on the analog had no presence digitally. This is where I first realized that the power needs to be upped.

I'm just waiting for someone to add some IBOC equipment in the Roanoke/Lynchburg market so I can hear more than just Radio IQ on my HD Radio.

- Trip

• 2 weeks later...

According to Wikipedia, HD is NOT "High Definition." It is, in fact, "Hybrid Digital." The system can be used to create multiple streams or a single 5.1 surround sound stream on an FM station.

Sorry to bring this topic up again but...

When I hear stations in the NYC area say they are in HD, they say they are in "High Definition Radio". So are they lying?

When I hear stations in the NYC area say they are in HD, they say they are in "High Definition Radio". So are they lying?

Not really. Although, HD Radio actually stands for 'hybrid digital', the sound is higher fidelity, so therefore, it could be considered "high definition".

Just out of curiosity, what NYC station(s) are calling themselves "high definition"?

Fresh 102.7 and 106.7 Lite FM in NYC are just two of the slowly rising HD branding stations. I don't know the actual call letters of these two that I mentioned above.

-Vlad

102.7, 106.7, 101.1, 100.3, 103.5, 104.3 (Those for sure and I am sure more.)

Archived